Pila charger noise

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new Pila changer and the AC adapter makes a high pitched noise when plugged in and not charging. The noise goes away if I have a battery actively charging in the charger. Is this normal?

00Madz

Newly Enlightened
Bumping an old thread but I have exactly the same issue - i'm running the adapter on 240V - any comments appreciated. Cheers

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I'm not going to say that it is normal, as I don't know that for a fact - I've not seen enough of these chargers personally, or heard enough people talk about them, to represent a meaningful sample. However, I can confirm that my own Pila charger whines when plugged in, but before a cell is inserted for charging, and it doesn't seem to be any the worse for it. I suspect that it is common to these chargers.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
I just tried mine, does the same thing but you have to put the transformer up to your ear to hear it. Mine has been working fine for several months and I am not worried about it..

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
All ac adapters (wall worts) make some kind of humming noise including my Pila ac adapter. Like Cummins4x4 said, "you need to put the transformer up to ear to hear them".

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
As you say, there will always be a hum if you go looking for it. It's just that with some - mine certainly, being run on 220v - there is a high pitched whine, and you don't have to place your ear on the adapter to hear it. It's quite loud.