Pimp your Apex (Cree XP-G mod)

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
I'm another one who previously did the SSC P4 mod and loved the results. I think I'm going to give this XP-G mod a try. It'll prolong the life of the Apex, which I like in every way except for the relatively old LED in it, and...

... the stock 5mm LEDs. Has anybody replaced those with less-blue and brighter ones?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent! Thanks a lot Sverre. Are the R5s brighter in the different bins than the R4s?

There's a 1B0 R5, and a 1C0 R5, as well as the neutral and cool blue R4s.

R5s are a bit brighter, but I strongly prefer the neutral tint.

Sverre

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
To those of you who have already done the XP-G mod, and those of you who are about to, which thermal compound did/will you use?

I used thermal paste since I like to swap mine. Thermal epoxy can be a pita to remove.

Sverre

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a regular 3W one and the P4 modded one and they both broke, the screws that is. I am sending them both back to be replaced. The unit is very fragile, better not drop it.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a regular 3W one and the P4 modded one and they both broke, the screws that is. I am sending them both back to be replaced. The unit is very fragile, better not drop it.

I think the early units had overtightened screws, I have a black early one that is cracked around the screws. My newer ones look fine.

Anybody have an e-mail address for PT that they actually answer? :shrug:

Since mine are bought in the US the Norwegian distributor isn't handling warranty issues.

Sverre

21164913north

Newly Enlightened
i'd also like to know if anyone would be interested in modding an apex and for around how much materials included?

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
OK, Ordered one of each to upgrade both my Seoul P4 Apex lights.

OK, got the parts yesterday and did the mod. It was harder than the first one, as trimming down the 10mm aluminum board to 8mm diameter without damaging the emitter was a bit tricky, and the solder pads are smaller on the xp-g. I also had to file down the base of the stock optic a little to close the case.

Now the test- the light is far brighter than the originally pimped Apex with the P4, and I like the hotspot better too. The P4 was a lot brighter than the stock Luxeon 3, so this is 2 big steps beyond that.

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
OK, got the parts yesterday and did the mod. It was harder than the first one, as trimming down the 10mm aluminum board to 8mm diameter without damaging the emitter was a bit tricky, and the solder pads are smaller on the xp-g. I also had to file down the base of the stock optic a little to close the case.

Now the test- the light is far brighter than the originally pimped Apex with the P4, and I like the hotspot better too. The P4 was a lot brighter than the stock Luxeon 3, so this is 2 big steps beyond that.

I just did my mod yesterday too. I agree--it was tough to trim the board, and tough to do all the detail work. My eyes aren't so great, which made it worse. Even my soldering iron, which has a small tip, wasn't small enough, but I had to use it anyway. I accidentally touched the soldering iron tip to the emitter dome at one point, and it "stuck" there momentarily before I could shake it off. I have a little dark spot on there now unfortunately. :(

I didn't file down the optic to make it fit; instead, I scraped material off the solder joints to try to flatten them out, and then basically jammed the optic and housing together. I'd say I would have to file down the optic by just a tiny bit to get it to fit properly. I was hesitant to do so though, because I was afraid of wrecking the optical properties of it.

But now, having reassembled the Apex, I get a very ringy beam. I'm sure it was a lot smoother before. Offroad'Bent, do you think that the ringiness is due to the tiny bit that the optic is raised off the board by the solder joints (maybe a quarter of a millimetre)? How is your beam now after you filed the optic down?

I chose a warm white emitter, and it's actually warmer than I expected it to be. I still like it, but the contrast between the centre LED and the four side LEDs is stark.

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
I didn't file down the optic to make it fit; instead, I scraped material off the solder joints to try to flatten them out, and then basically jammed the optic and housing together. I'd say I would have to file down the optic by just a tiny bit to get it to fit properly. I was hesitant to do so though, because I was afraid of wrecking the optical properties of it.

But now, having reassembled the Apex, I get a very ringy beam. I'm sure it was a lot smoother before. Offroad'Bent, do you think that the ringiness is due to the tiny bit that the optic is raised off the board by the solder joints (maybe a quarter of a millimetre)? How is your beam now after you filed the optic down?

My beam seems fine. The hotspot's tighter than it was with the P4, but there's still some spill. Not very ringy- I think my emitter might fit better than yours after I rounded it off to 8mm.

I only filed the outer edges of my optic- the holes still fit the pins on the holder, so it's in the original position, just needed room to clear the wires mounted to the front of the emitter.
Next time I'll take the light to work and do the soldering under my operating microscope. Seriously.

I have to say this mod brings the Apex up to about 3X the brightness of the original 70 lumen version. I have another P4-pimped Apex with a broken hinge I will send in for repair or replacement, then re-pimp it again with an XP-G too.

Last edited:

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, O'Bent. It sounds like I did exactly the same as you, except that I didn't file down my optic... but I just did it now, and same result: ringy beam. It might be because I damaged the XP-G dome a bit with my soldering iron. Oh well, at least my Apex is ready to be upgraded with the next big thing in LEDs.

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
Thanks, O'Bent. It sounds like I did exactly the same as you, except that I didn't file down my optic... but I just did it now, and same result: ringy beam. It might be because I damaged the XP-G dome a bit with my soldering iron. Oh well, at least my Apex is ready to be upgraded with the next big thing in LEDs.

I took a better look at the beam against a white wall.
There is a central hotspot, a halo around it that's somewhat bright and useful for looking at trails, etc. There's also a small dark ring around the halo and a white band around that. This may be what you call "Ringy" but I hadn't really noticed it in use, just in testing.

Still *very* happy with the mod compared with my P4-modded apex.
I'm going to send the old one in for replacement as it has a bad hinge, and once it returns I'll mod it too, but under my work scope.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats with a successful mod.

Did you use a neutral or cool white xp-g?

Sverre

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of each. This one's a cool white R5, which looks fine, but the next one will be a neutral R4.

I think you will find it even better ;)

I've tried both and the small increase in brightness isn't worth the difference in color when in the forest. The R5 might have an edge while skiing, might have to give it a go this winter:cool:

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
Here is my ringy beam:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14112483@N04/5078908868/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14112483@N04/5078908868/
And just for your viewing pleasure, here's a shot of a warm-white MC-E compared to a cool white MC-E. The ww is in an Ultrafire P60 host, while the cw is in an MTE M3-2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14112483@N04/5078304689/

White balance was set to Daylight for all pictures.

(I can't figure out how to get the pictures to embed in this message)

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
No rings like that with mine (Lux3 optic) and XP-G. I do have a slightly uneven center, but that isn't visible in use. Nice even spill and good transition from spot to spill.

Sverre