Plastic Rayovac's; then vs now

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What with the dime store being defunct and practically every ma n pa owned hardware store gone belly up where does one find a dime store flashlight?

So today I found an 016 plastic Rayovac for regular price of $1.44 at the dime store of the new milenium... one where you almost need to use your gps to navigate from one zip code to another by the time you reach the back wall'd flashlight section.

A wall with promises of a million billion candle power'd numbers for strobing a grizzly bear into submission or the ability to start your microwave meal as you pull into your suburban driveway.

Well after recently getting 19+ hours from a 1 cell 19 lumen Rayovac that touted 5 hours ANSI spec, I thought there's no telling how long the 2 cell 12 lumen version stating 23 hours will hold out.... sure, why not... it's a buck 44 for petesake.

Remembering paying oh... perhaps $8.99 for an incan industrial a while ago I thought a compare was in order.

Both are bare-bones little 2aa numbers

The industrial uses a once "ultra modern" xenon bi-pin bulb while the bright essentials uses one of those eBay 20 for $5 type of PR based led's.

I really dig those honey comb'd reflectors.

Both use the same type of slider switch with very similar parts n pieces. The industrial used copper for the moving parts.

Both tailstand easily. The industrial has a hide away nail hook where the essentials uses a split ring setup to lanyardize it.

The tail cap is removable on the industrial.

Aside from the yellow tint a filament shadows of the bi-pin bulb the beams are very similar. 016 only 12 lumen LED vs holy cow 12 whole lumens of yesteryear...

Phone cam says it's a blue-green beam'd LED

Bar-ing sentimental value neither would be worth placing 'a reward if found' yet both will certainly put out light in darkness when it counts....

Now the essentials seems to be a boon in how cheaply a flashlight can be made and still function where the industrial was a quest to improve on those plastic dime store flashlights. I have a D sized industrial and a couple of Dorcy products that survived being alka-leaked with some cleaning of the copper sliders. The essentials cheap innerds probably won't.

So there ya have it. Long live the platic dime store flashlight.

Happy Birthday CG.