Please recommend me a light for my dad

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
My dad has been using a 3d incan maglight for years now, and the rubber on the switch tore and hes in the market for a new light. He just bought a "Voidhawk" trex light and when we got the light the lens was scratched, the body was scratched and the emitter itself had a black greasy fingerprint on it, so needless to say were returning it. Ive also seen that they sell rebranded DX lights at a premium price, and im not cool with that.

I'm no stranger to good lights, but regardless this light is for my dad, his budget is $110 max, primarily for walking the dog and spotting deer in the woods (200-400 feet if that), he would prefer it to be focusable (im trying to talk him out of it) and rechargable, he also wants a high lumen rating (he doesnt believe me when I say that lumen count isnt everything), he would like multiple modes as well, and for it to be slightly smaller than the size of the maglight . So far ive found a fenix e50 with a tenergy charger + 2 protected 18650s for $100 with free shipping and I think its a good light, it has a nice spot but floody enough to see his surroundings.

Thanks guys for your time.

Im just going to delete the options I dont want here
==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $110.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

I don't care how its charged

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____I don't care.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a non-flashaholic - if you want to go dead simple and avoid all the battery/charger/multimeter paraphernalia take a look at the new Foursevens MMR-X with integrated smart 18650 and charges via USB making it cellphone simple. Then program it to be a 2 mode (25/800 lumens) for dog walking. Gonna set my sister up with this rig for the same purpose.

US-based HQ with great customer service and loonngggg warranty (batt only 1yr as a consumable, of course)... if something goes wrong, couldn't be easier.

Last edited:

BarryG

Enlightened
A non-flashaholic might be better suited with a safer battery chemistry. How about a Nitecore EA4 with a set of LSD batteries and charger? It would come in under the $110 budget. Fenix LD41 and Sunwayman D40A are two other 4xAA options with the power he wants.

If 18650 is the way you want to go, how about a Solarforce host with Vinh module? Vinh could set the module up any way you like.

Barry

rednek

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at a jetbeam SRA40 for my mom. 4xAA batteries, 960 lumens, and a simple two button UI with a built in charger.

Last edited:

mcorp

Enlightened
I would go for the ea8 caveman since your dad is probably used to the 3d incan form factor if you have ready supply of AA nimh or backup alkalines. I got an ea4cw myself as I preferred a smaller form factor:)

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
just looked up the sra40, looking at a review, that looks about perfect. fit and finish look top notch, simply ui, and rechargeable at that.

Diesel Pro

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the Maelstrom MMR-X. I just bought 2 of them.

A secondary option is Rigid Industries Halo. This light has a 1.75" reflector bell, uses a 18650 battery, comes with charger and multi mode with 800 lumens rating. The throw and spread are pretty darn nice. I use mine to shine deer at 3-400 yds plus it can be turned down to lower modes as well as all the flashy junk that most people never use but think they need.

Either of the above will work. I haven't tried the Maelstrom for throw yet. There's been too much frost in the air at night and also a lot of snow on the ground, but I think it comes up far short of the Halo which I consider excellent to outstanding. The Halo is a bit more substantial with the larger bell end. This makes it a bit more difficult to pack and uncomfortable in the pocket, but nicely balanced in use. The Maelstrom has a much better UI and recharge inside the unit and pockets easily. The Maelstrom was $83 less 20% holiday sale. The Halo kit runs around $95.

I gave the one Maelstrom to the woman as her dog walking light as she is out in darkness a lot. The Low mode seems about perfect. I programmed it to have only Lo/Hi so there are less worthless modes to step through.

I'm also contemplating using the other as a weapon light on my Benelli M4.

Last edited:

Diesel Pro

Newly Enlightened
Also since he's familiar with the Mag Lite form factor maybe the upcoming release of the Mag Charger LED would work.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?375525-LED-MagCharger-and-cradle-charge-Mag-Tac!

I myself am at a crossroads here with Mag Lites. I have several here and will be trying the Malkoff setup in the 2D units. I had Ma dig out Dad's old 4d unit and I may convert it for her or go to a Mag Charger. The goal is to have a decent light around the hose in general plus for when I go to do house projects for her.

To me this is about the perfect light to sit at the ready on the charging cradle. If I did not already have so many old ones I'd be adding to my collection.

Last edited:

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
I told him about the jetbeam and now he's saying that's too much. He's going to go with the new mag charger system ml125 or whatever it is

joel95ex

Newly Enlightened
I told him about the jetbeam and now he's saying that's too much. He's going to go with the new mag charger system ml125 or whatever it is
my dad was maglite guy and so was I until I got a fenix pd30 which they no longer make but the pd32 is still available from certain retailers and can use both cr123's and 18650's. he loves it. if you want to use aa's the ld series from fenix uses them. I don't like the new versions' side buttons but there are still lots of previous styles available