Point me towards a CURRENT primary battery comparison?

Recoil Rob

Newly Enlightened
Looking for some comparative info about non-rechargable batteries such as AA, AAA, CR2 , CR123, etc. Everything I find seems to be years old, I'm interested in finding out whether some of the "newer" offerings like Energizer Ultimate Litiums, Varta Lithium are worth the extra money, if Duracell is worth the trouble, etc.

I'm a dinosaur rambling into the 21st Century here, Duracells were king. Now I see brand names I never saw before, Surefire, Nitecore, etc.

thanks,

Rob

1DaveN

Enlightened
I think that one of the problems with comparisons is that it depends on the type of device you're powering. I've seen articles (not recently, though) saying that, for example, one brand of alkaline lasts longest in radios, while another brand lasts longest in RC cars. There's also the religious aspect - for years, I would only use Duracells, one brother only used Radio Shack brand, and another only dirt cheap alkalines he could buy by the case (you can guess which brother had the house full of kids).

Since I'd imagine you're thinking about flashlights when you ask the question, I've read HKJ's excellent comparisons (thanks!), and there are a few threads on here comparing CR123As. Even if those threads aren't that recent, I don't think the batteries have changed much over time (and all the American ones are probably the same cells anyway).

If I could find information like what you're asking for, stating that one brand is clearly better than another for a given purpose, I'd act on that. In the absence of such information, the only primaries I use in AA or AAA lights are Energizer Ultimate - that's more because they don't leak, and they work in extreme cold, than it is how long they last. If not for fear of leakage, I could probably keep pumping alkalines through the lights for less money. For CR123A, I use Surefire, because I know they are American-made, rebranded Panasonics. I'd use anything else that met that requirement, so getting Surefires specifically is probably habit as much as anything. Then I keep a bunch of Duracell copper-tops around for clocks and the Zombie apocalypse, and Quantums for things like keyboards and mice.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think that one of the problems with comparisons is that it depends on the type of device you're powering.

It does, I have been running a couple of low current discharges on AA batteries and that gives another look on them. Again I am short on time and do not know when I can publish something.

Recoil Rob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice men, truth be told I think my #1 concern is leakage. It just pisses me off when I open up a light that has batteries with an expiration date 10 years in the future and they've leaked.

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
Well, as for leakage, I have read that Duracells are likely to leak (sometimes even in the package). Leak-in-the-package has happened to my parents for Camelion batteries. On the other hand, Energizer now guarantees their batteries against leakage up to a year after being fully used. Don't know what's behind all this, though...

As for runtime, the discount Alkalines are not far behind the brand names, with some even surpassing them, but that varies from test to test, maybe even depends on how fresh the batteries being tested were. I found a comprehensive test of batteries available in the UK here:

http://anrieff.net/batterytest/index_en.html#Alkaline-AA

If you really have a light that's only rarely used so that the battery runtime may approach 10 years, Alkalines could be a bad choice generally because they self-discharge at a rate of 5-6% per year, so after 10 years they have lost 50-60% of their capacity even if not used. In contrast to that, Lithium primaries only use 1-2% of their charge per year. You may also take a look at them old-fashioned Zinc-Carbon, actually Zinc-Chloride batteries (the "Heavy Duty" type) because I have found that they actually self-discharge more slowly than Alkalines and are also virtually leak-proof (I have some laying around from 1981 which haven't leaked and still hold a charge). They are also typically cheaper than Alkalines although they only have a fraction of the capacity of Alkalines... a third at best, while the Lithiums at least surpass the Alkalines in capacity. That capacity difference raises with the drain of the device, so in a light, for example, you may get 45 minutes on zinc-carbon, 4 hours on Alkaline and 7-8 hours on Lithium batteries if the light is left on continuously. Or you take a chance on Eneloop rechargeables which now claim to retain 70% of their capacity after 10 years (which some say they actually have done all along) and probably will never leak, although they may not be cost-effective if they go into a light that only rarely gets used. But they have the advantage of being rechargeable.

Thanks for the advice men, truth be told I think my #1 concern is leakage. It just pisses me off when I open up a light that has batteries with an expiration date 10 years in the future and they've leaked.