'polarity' of 6v 'lanterns'? - led replacement

benhanson

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
. . . suggest a way that I could get this lantern to work with an led? Thank you!

First, apologies for posting to a 10 year thread, but can't resist as I just did this. And a disclaimer, if you don't sufficiently isolate the the posts when you re-route, you risk shorting the battery and whatever bad things might happen as a result . . .

That said, I just solved this problem with a cheap Energizer lamp. The switch/light/contact housing was a separate part that had a u-shaped contact plate to allow the battery to be installed in any orientation while still having contact with the positive spring.

Solution required 3 small screws, electrical tape, a coping saw and a small flat piece of plastic. If your light doesn't have similar contact strip that could be modified, you would have to source some sort of conducting material to re-do the connection

In a nutshell, I cut the u-shaped contact, using 1/4 of it to create a path from positive to the center post, then put a layer of electrical tape and then a piece of stout plastic over the center contact(so it won't short to the negative post). I then took the other 3/4 of the u-shaped contact, reversed it and attached it such that it made contact with the switch contact and the center post location. Other than the risk of a short, the major negative is that the battery can no longer be installed in any rotation. Positive must be located in 1 specific corner.

This was a fairly ridiculous waste of time, but for anyone obsessed with reusing/recycling, it's a pretty simple mod.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I was able to repurpose a Rayovac Industrial Lantern Battery adapter to positive tip by dremeling out the restriction bars. Now works with positive tip LED bulbs, or applications necessitating positive center. This adapter could be modified to accept A123 2.3 ah 3.3v cells. A little longer than D cells and about the diameter of C cells. Very robust lipo cells. Of course this doubles voltage. Re baring the adapter to buddy pairs would keep the voltage around 6. https://www.temu.com/1pc-led-flashl...t-work-light-p13-5s-3w-g-601099513994774.html however for a couple of bucks, including shipping this bulb would solve the 12v problem. Not to mention a very bright light. Sorry if I broke url posting rules. I just joined yesterday. I admit to having too many flashlights.