Polish for *non* headlight lenses?

eggsalad

Enlightened
The turn and tail lenses on my bike are in pretty rough shape, scuffs and scratches. Sadly, they are NLA from Honda, NOS are pricey, and reproductions, while available, are of sketchy quality.

I tried some Meguiar's PlastX, because I had it on hand, but it accomplished essentially nothing. Is there something more aggressive I might try?

Thanks!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yes, a good grade of plastic polishing compound (comes in bars like jeweler's rouge) on a power buffing wheel of one kind or another.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the same issue. I did a wet sand and buff with compounds and polish. Search up some 1500 & 2000 grit 3M sand paper. That plus some water and elbow grease they will look brand new. If you are really serious, they sell a UV stabilizer that you apply after you have it all polished and buffed. This helps protect the plastic from further UV damage.

sykanr0ng

Newly Enlightened
Something to avoid when polishing plastic lenses;
The material will "smear" easily when overheated which machine polishing can do very quickly.

A hand buffing method I saw for plastic headlights could work; using Murphy's Oil soap and baking soda with a damp rag.

If it's cheap and easy to replace then if you ruin it no big deal, but when it is expensive and/or hard to replace it's better to take your time.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plastx is a good polish, but for really bad hazing it's best to break out the sandpaper, 800-5000 grit then buff with plastx (start at the highest grit that seems to make some difference), or just get a headlight restoration kit that includes the sandpaper and polish.