POLL ADDED: Do you prefer Warm or Neutral White?

Do you prefer Warm White or Neutral White?

• Total voters

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you prefer Warm or Neutral White?

would the Nichia 219 4500khcri be better than a cree normal 4500 MCE LED ?.

Depends on my mood. I love the High CRI XPG when I'm in the mood for a campfire like warm, and love the Nichia 219 when I'm in the mood for pure white neutral!

Anyone who dislikes neutrals because they've ran into a sample that was greenish needs to give the 219 a shot.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Do you prefer Warm or Neutral White?

A number of images on this and preceding pages are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Excessively large images have been replaced with links, images just over size have been left. It's a shame interesting threads such as this are spoiled just because rules can't be followed.

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

grev

Newly Enlightened
This thread made me want to post, I've registered a while ago but haven't posted at all.

The thing is, any colour shift is bad for colour rendering and I would assume that for most people, they would want things to look more natural instead of shifting towards yellow/orange or blue/gray.

I suggest taking photos of the different lights at their own colour temperature with a camera, then use those RAW files and set them all to a neutral white balance, then compare the colours the different lights made.

jinx626

Enlightened
Seems like many preferred neutral white more than warm. I personally think warm tint makes things look orange.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think warm tint makes things look orange.
As was discussed at length on the preceeding pages, it largely depends on the CRI. ;)

A high CRI source in the 3700K range appears achromatic to most people.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As was discussed at length on the preceeding pages, it largely depends on the CRI. ;)

A high CRI source in the 3700K range appears achromatic to most people.

Correct, and if the topic was CRI instead of tint, that would be quite relevant. A high CRI 5k light could also appear achromatic for example. In fact, the whiter the beam, even w/o the high CRI, its generally perceived as more achromatic.

The lux is also an influence, and so forth.

But as far as tint goes, things look yellower in a yellower light, more orange in a more orange light, more green in a green light, etc.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct, and if the topic was CRI instead of tint, that would be quite relevant. A high CRI 5k light could also appear achromatic for example. In fact, the whiter the beam, even w/o the high CRI, its generally perceived as more achromatic.
According to one study, 3700K was the "magic number" for the majority of test subjects.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, some warm tints look orange. But I find it as a comfortable tint for the eyes.

Warm tints only look orange when compared next to a cooler tint. If a warm tint light (with a decent CRI) is your only source of illumination, it looks white. Our eyes are very good at adapting to tints. Our eyes are designed to see contrast in colours, not absolute colours. We see a white house as white, whether it's lit by blue skylight at noon or a orange setting sun. Otherwise, it would be very difficult to ever see a white colour.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warm tints only look orange when compared next to a cooler tint. If a warm tint light (with a decent CRI) is your only source of illumination, it looks white. Our eyes are very good at adapting to tints. Our eyes are designed to see contrast in colours, not absolute colours. We see a white house as white, whether it's lit by blue skylight at noon or a orange setting sun. Otherwise, it would be very difficult to ever see a white colour.

I know that the eyes can adapt tints very good. I have noticed in the same way a cool white tint alone is perceived very white but compared to a warmer tint it instantly looks bluish. Yes; it's a bit fascinating how well our eyes make us see different tints very white as long they are alone, but mixing different tints between each other we clearly see the difference and that some of the tints we considered as white look either bluish, greenish or yellowish.

BUT: my personal experience is that I will always prefer a nice warm/neutral tint before a cool white. One example is Malkoff M61. I have as well cool white and neutral white models. If I at first look at the cool white and then change to the neutral I perceive the neutral as yellowish, but I like it. And if I change to the cool white after the neutral I instantly perceive the cool white as unpleasant and want to change back.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUT: my personal experience is that I will always prefer a nice warm/neutral tint before a cool white.

Yes, I do as well. That is because the warm tints show reds and green colours much better, and often have better CRI overall (though that's less easy to notice). And, warm tints are just more pleasing/relaxing to my eyes.

Pity that few manufacturers offer warm tints. They all sell cool white, which is what the public demands because of lumen wars.

markr6

Flashaholic
One example is Malkoff M61. I have as well cool white and neutral white models. If I at first look at the cool white and then change to the neutral I perceive the neutral as yellowish, but I like it. And if I change to the cool white after the neutral I instantly perceive the cool white as unpleasant and want to change back.

EXACTLY! Well put!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That's exactly it in a nut shell. Most people polled prefer a whiter light over a yellower light when given the choice. When they have a white light, and are given a yellow, they notice the difference, and wish to get the white light back.

As your brain mentally adjusts/calibrates to what you are seeing, it performs its own version of white balancing, so the colors appear as expected.

Some people prefer the yellow light over the white light, and mentally filter out the yellow to see colors as they wish to....just as the people with a whiter light do.

One version over emphasizes some colors and under emphasizes others, and so does the other version.

Once you do the testing, you see that the people who prefer white light are more comfortable compensating for that scenario than they are for the yellow light, and, analogously, the people who prefer yellow lighting are more comfortable compensating for that scenario.

Neither side is universally "right" or "wrong", as both are right for their own perceptions of things.

Its like arguing over what your favorite color should be.

:D

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My comments in red.

That's exactly it in a nut shell. Most people polled prefer a whiter light over a yellower light when given the choice. When they have a white light, and are given a yellow, they notice the difference, and wish to get the white light back.

I would describe it as most people prefer a neutral white before a cool white. I mean that "white light" mostoften is defined as a cool white = compared to a warmer tint it's perceived as bluish. And according to friends of mine few prefer a bluish tint. But yes; it depends HOW warm the tint is. It can be TOO yellowish, yes...

As your brain mentally adjusts/calibrates to what you are seeing, it performs its own version of white balancing, so the colors appear as expected.

Some people prefer the yellow light over the white light, and mentally filter out the yellow to see colors as they wish to....just as the people with a whiter light do.

One version over emphasizes some colors and under emphasizes others, and so does the other version.

Once you do the testing, you see that the people who prefer white light are more comfortable compensating for that scenario than they are for the yellow light, and, analogously, the people who prefer yellow lighting are more comfortable compensating for that scenario.

Neither side is universally "right" or "wrong", as both are right for their own perceptions of things.

Its like arguing over what your favorite color should be.

That,s a good point. :thumbsup:

:D

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tints cooler than about 6000K I perceive as blueish, not white, even when it's the only light I'm using. The cool white Cree XML and XPG are usually okay, the XPE is always horribly blue.

Anything from 3000K to 6000K looks white to me, as long it's the only source of light. While I still like tints warmer than 3000K (for ambiance), they do look yellow.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tints cooler than about 6000K I perceive as blueish, not white, even when it's the only light I'm using. The cool white Cree XML and XPG are usually okay, the XPE is always horribly blue.

Anything from 3000K to 6000K looks white to me, as long it's the only source of light. While I still like tints warmer than 3000K (for ambiance), they do look yellow.

I think you give a pretty good description of the difference between the tints!

jinx626

Enlightened
I am seriously going to try a warm tint when they come out in AA format. Depending on price of course...