• 6V-40V

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • 10V-50V

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on a design for a voltage compensated soft starter.
It caps voltage above a certain level, then increases duty cycle as voltage drops to adjust for the falling voltage of the battery pack. It's not really a regulator since there's not really a feedback loop. But linearity is OK. 0.5% to 2% deviation from set point.
But I have a design decision regarding voltage range. To keep size and component count down It can be either a 6V-40V range or a 10-50V range?

CancerLad

Newly Enlightened
One vote for the lower range to be used in a maglite under a Kiu socket.

Eagerly awaiting the purchasing thread.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Maglite size ones will be 6-40V.
There aren't really many (any that I know of) Mag body mods that exceed 40V, and plenty of ones that go below 10V (5761, 64275, 1185).
The lights like the HyperBlitz exceed 40V. But that's all that I can think of.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I'm in there with the 6v to 40v. The major problem I have with the AW soft starter is that it can't take the wattage that I want to play with. I'm looking for a ceiling of over 300 watts.
The only thing I could think of that will do above 40V are 5mega elephant extended bodies and such. I guess one could put a bunch of 14500 or 14670 into a quad bored mag but I don't see them being able to deliver the current required for most of the fun bulbs.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a ceiling of over 300 watts.
Wattage isn't so important as Amps. A single FET should handle 20A without issue. Of course testing will bear this out. What bulb and battery combo are you thinking about? I could so some plots to see how things would work out.