Pop rivet in Kydex

weegidy

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a FKMD Carbon Titan knife for climbing. I love the knife but the sheath only came with 3 bolts (and it has 6 holes). I don't have any of the little bolts that it uses, but I do have pop rivets that will be perfect for it. I would love to rivet all 6 holes in the sheath, but I'm worried that the Kydex is too soft and it will get distorted under the pressure of the rivet.

Does anyone know if it is safe to use a pop rivet in Kydex? Or if I should just order some bolts from McMaster (which would be a pain, since I'm leaving for college on Monday, and I would have to get the bolts shipped to my school and do it there, in stead of just riveting the sheath when I get an OK from someone on the thread).

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
Using pop rivets would be impossible to adjust the tension on the blade. Without seeing the sheath and handling it it's difficult to advise on how many holes actually need rivets, it is important to use the rivets that match the hole diameter. Pop rivets would be a bad idea as the rivets can distort when "pop"ing.
If there are no issues with the blade retention I'd leave it alone.