Portable Battery Spot welder

Henniebrandweer

Newly Enlightened
Hey there guys

I am thinking of buying this spot welder on eBay, its a portable machine that performs quite well by the looks of the vid on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLpfzFzZ10

and its not that expensive.. do you guys think this could pay for itself in a couple of months if I were to start repacking battery packs as a hobby for and extra income? and where would you suggest I get batteries (Cells) in bulk from? primarily Sub C NiCad and 18650 Li-ion cells...

here is the link to the item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-held...20963840456?pt=AU_Welding&hash=item4abaef89c8

any advice would be awesome..

thanks

lwknight

Enlightened
It looks like the real deal. The contacts do not flow any current through the battery, just the strip.
That must be how they do it!

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this diy method, but if you want to go into business you need the right equipment.

I was researching the soldering of batteries together to rebuild a battery pack. I saw one where the guy said he took his soldering gun and replaced the "iron" part of the gun with 2 sharpened pieces of copper. He then claimed he could spot weld the tabs on the battery by pressing the tab down and holding the trigger on the solder gun for a second or two.
I do not wish to blow up or short out my solder gun without at least a couple more people saying it will work. My gun is a 75 watt soldering gun. Not sure what size he had. It would be possible to remove the tip and insert the copper wires easily enough.
I have had no sucess soldering the tabs no matter how much I clean them. As far as tinning the tabs first....I can heat those cherry red but can't get the solder to stay on after cooling. I think they are made of nickle but I am not really sure what kind of metal they are. I tried soldering copper wire in place of the tabs but no luck there either.
Anyhow do you think the soldering gun spot welder will work?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I read this diy method, but if you want to go into business you need the right equipment.

The key aspect to business is the customer. A starter unit would allow him to test for demand. Even if it breaks down in 6 months, he would then know if it was worth investing in gear that will stand up to the kind of use a line of customers would require (and pay for).

Henniebrandweer

Newly Enlightened
The key aspect to business is the customer. A starter unit would allow him to test for demand. Even if it breaks down in 6 months, he would then know if it was worth investing in gear that will stand up to the kind of use a line of customers would require (and pay for).

I know my English suck but does this mean you think this unit that I posted would be a good start? a worth it investment? they claim its good enough to do 100-200 battery packs a day... obviously I will not be doing nearly that much, and they also say that it doesnt need any maintenance except for sharpening of the pins and eventually replacement of the pins after huge amounts of use....

Henniebrandweer

Newly Enlightened
Guys so does this look like an OK item? would YOU buy it? and why/ why not? If its worth it, then I want to order asap coz it will take like a month+ to arrive... :(