Portable Power Bank Assistance

turbodog

Flashaholic
Of interest to all that might consider an APC UPS.

Note: this is the 'smart ups' series, which is pure sine wave and their top desktop series.

1. They have a battery disconnect conveniently on the back. Useful to completely kill battery drain when not needed (after you shutdown your pc).

2. They will 'cold start' which means they will start providing a/c power without having a/c power present to begin with. Not all units do this. Helpful when you've shutdown, but need to bring it back up later.

Between 1 and 2, you can efficiently manage your limited battery life very effectively.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into the tabletop ovens, the ones used to roast turkeys. The one we have has a Low 900W setting. It bakes, fries, and slow cooks in the bottom half. They are a life saver for when holidays come or when your stove oven breaks, had that happen.
I have been researching this for hours; can you tell me the brand of tabletop oven you all use?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been researching this for hours; can you tell me the brand of tabletop oven you all use?
It's an Oster 18Qt./22lb bird roaster that was purchased ~ten years ago on Amazon. I will need to dig it out of storage and check the model. The full power rating on the oven is rated for 1580W, but on low and the slow cook setting it uses only ~900W. I'll try to do some research and chime back in.

I have noticed a recent trend of discontinuance of home appliances, that simply work, and had good ratings. I found out one of our pressure cookers were discontinued after two years, and there are no parts available :(. Our air fryer accessory lid for pressure cooker's has also been discontinued, can't get another one/parts if it fails. It seems saddening. There's gotta be something available out there that will work with your setup. Perhaps a site that features older products? Maybe Etsy?

I also have an APC UPS back-ups, sine-wave output. Problem is at 1500W, even with the external APC backup battery I have connected, it will only run ~18 or so minutes at that high of a drain. An option that could work using the APC back-ups would involve connecting two/four car batteries to the external battery input connector. That's doable, but it would be a lot easier if an appliance could be found to work with your current setup, IMHO.

Hoping that You can find an appliance that will work, and help You cook ~1200W. :)
Take Care
GL

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I just did a google search for "low amperage toaster oven"
and I was presented with a number of them defined as
"low wattage toaster oven"

One as low as 500 watts, others in the 1000 to 1300 watt range.

Poppy

Flashaholic
So many have quite poor reviews though. I did take a chance on a 700W toaster oven from Lowe's Hardware. We'll see. Thanks to all and apologies for thread drift.
I often look at reviews with a jaundiced eye. How many of them were disappointed that a low wattage unit took longer to perform the same task as a higher wattage unit?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, many complaints and poor ratings are because a toaster oven in this price range or wattage was smaller than imagined, or hot on the outside. It's those complaints about a persistent plastic smell or higher failure rates along with lacking certain basic features...

This is a thread about power banks, and the battery in my truck is what is going to power this device.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received toaster oven. It takes about 760+ watts but under 500W on broil setting. Works great. It does take energy, and a large power bank is a must; lead acid might sag too much.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charging bike (~500W) 013846A5-84C4-4E73-91E8-5C4A47DAC5C8.jpeg

Induction cooktop behind toaster oven.

9 inch pizza with opposite edges trimmed and placed in order to fit in "Better Chef" 700W model.

D21F4FBE-2D53-4872-BAD9-A017D1913704.jpeg

turbodog

Flashaholic
Charging bike (~500W)View attachment 43482

Induction cooktop behind toaster oven.

9 inch pizza with opposite edges trimmed and placed in order to fit in "Better Chef" 700W model.

View attachment 43484

To note, ups units are usually rated in VA, not watts.

From apc smart ups 1500 datasheet:

1683580536292.png

VA is usually higher than watts for inductive loads (electronics).

However, in purely resistive loads (incan bulbs, heating elements) they are equal.

So... the 1500 va model is only good for 1000 w.

Something to keep in mind.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting discussion of VA (Volt Ampere?) compared to watts starting on post #153. Some knowledgeable people there: