Portable Powerbank

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at the ravpower products and like the looks of them. If I get one of these big power banks I will have to get a nitecore mh12nw since it's the only nw usb rechargeable light that I know of

Borad

Enlightened
This may be in a different class but I've been thinking of getting a WakaWaka. They seem to be made for reliability.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I have 2 RavPower products. A power bank and wifi hot spot and I've been impressed with both. I'm getting their 15 watt portable solar panel for Christmas. IMHO they are well built and very cost effective.

I could say the same about Anker. :p
I have two power banks, a Bluetooth USB keyboard, and a new solar panel from them. All seem to be excellent, and my older power bank and the keyboard have been put through serious abuse (years of being pocketed, dropped, banged around, left in cars, etc.) and still work just fine.

MrJino

Enlightened
I could say the same about Anker. :p
I have two power banks, a Bluetooth USB keyboard, and a new solar panel from them. All seem to be excellent, and my older power bank and the keyboard have been put through serious abuse (years of being pocketed, dropped, banged around, left in cars, etc.) and still work just fine.

I was planning to buy anker battery bank and solar panels when my ravpower ones died (being made in china), they're still holing up after 1 year of abuse.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just purchased an Anker extended battery for my Note 3. It has very good Amazon rating. When I buy the Note 5 I will purchase an Anker power bank for extra charging capacity.

I asked AW to consider building one for his batteries but no reply.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
@recDNA I have a Note 4. As much as I love it, I can't justify getting another Samsung series. Things like no removable battery, glass back, no microSD support, and the increasing availability of other quality phablets makes me want to switch to something like LG or Xiaomi. :c
There are 18650 power banks out there (usually only 1 cell at a time, but meh) that you could use an AW cell in.
@MrJino Oddly enough, Anker just released new portable solar panels. They seem wider though. If you do get a powerbank from them, I would bet they would go on sale later this month. I've seen the high cap ones (the 13000 mAh which I think got replaced by the 16000?) for something like $22 before. Newegg just had a white one on sale for $21 on flash deal.

Poppy

Flashaholic
fivebelow (ie five dollars and less) is like an upscale dollar store in the North east US.
Last year, and then again this year during July and August, (back to school specials) they had 6600 mah power banks for $5. I bought a few of them, and my kids found then very functional and useful. My son especially because his smart phone wasn't holding a charge as well as it did when it was new.

I was happy that he took one with him when he went on 2-3 day hikes.

I took a few apart. They have 3 18650 unprotected cells in parallel. I used two packs to make a 7.4-8.4V 6600 mah power pack for my R/C boat. They aren't high drain batteries, and I have to let them rest some, here and there, but the kids have fun none-the-less, so I built two packs and swap them in and out.

That toy like all others, will get used a few times and then sit on the side. Eventually I'll pull the packs apart and have 12 x 2200mah 18650s for other uses.

Currently, we have 10 x 6600mah power banks, five fully charged, and five still NIB.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI I found TONS of "empty" power banks designed to accept your own 18650 cells on the big Chinese websites; several for <$3. Everything from single cell up to 8 and 12 cell packs. Some of them are quite nice with a display that shows the voltage of individual cells. The bigger ones can also easily be used as an 18650 charger. Pretty cool stuff!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I went to the five below site to link to the powerbanks I spoke of above, but they were not in stock or advertised at this time. However; they listed a 2600 mah "SLIM" power bank.

I wonder, what chemistry do they use in them? and what are your thoughts about them?
So I had to cruise by five below today and pick one of these up.

5V-800ma input(max)
5V-1000mA (max) output
2600 mAh Lithium polymer battery
2.5" x 3 3/4" x 1/4" dimensions.
Takes up to four hours to fully charge, do not allow to charge overnight.

-------------------------------
Question... can't you fast charge LiPo batteries with twice the amperage of their rating? IE 3.7v x 2.6 Ah x2 = 19.24 watt-hours ...
19.24 watt hours/5v = 3.84 amps charge at 5V.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Just completed my seven hour power outage with the Kmashi 15,000 mAh power pack; quite a serious piece of equipment this is, and you know it from the weight, then the 12+ hours needed to charge it. It has the 2A limit, so only one tablet at a time, but it performed as advertised today, charged a pair of tablets roughly halfway each and the pack's indicator hasn't moved. Very pleased for $20.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The RAVPower I mentioned (post #16) w/ the 4 Panasonic cells is now $15.99 shipped

..not sure if you can even get 4 bare Panasonic cells to your mailbox for that price!!:eek:

btw; received mine & the build quality is good and solid
comes charged up & two cables. Cool soft case too

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think it is safe to charge unattended?

+

Personally,
Never once have I been concerned about charging the multitude of Li-Po & Li-Ion batteries unattended I own, in all kinds of stuff.
..including tools/electronic stuff and the like.

Am I concerned about using a Powerbank,, not at all

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
+

Personally,
Never once have I been concerned about charging the multitude of Li-Po & Li-Ion batteries unattended I own, in all kinds of stuff.
..including tools/electronic stuff and the like.

Am I concerned about using a Powerbank,, not at all
It's funny I think nothing if leaving a cell phone or laptop unattended while charging but wouldn't do it with 18660. Not logical but just me.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny I think nothing if leaving a cell phone or laptop unattended while charging but wouldn't do it with 18660. Not logical but just me.

Most phones and laptop computer have low amp chargers for the general public. People who buy stand alone charger should have the knowledge to know what batteries should be charged at higher amperage.

My chargers operate at . 5amp, 1 amp, and 2 amp. I would not expect the general public to know which batteries could be charged at 2 amp and what others at .5 amp.

mdorian

Newly Enlightened
Beware for fake power banks some of you may have purchased only to find that it doesn't have that much capacity or would only recharge your device a couple of times before dying.

Well, if you crack it open, you might find its a cheap copy
smiley-basic-gif

http://goughlui.com/2014/10/22/review-teardown-fake-xiaomi-mi-ndy-02-ad-silver-10400mah-power-bank/

Last edited:

knock-on

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if I might ask the advice of members about powerpacks?

I am looking to use one of these 58000mha car booster packs to run a small (max 42 amps per hour) electric outboard motor.

Being honest, I know very little about this subject so would like to ask if this is a good idea?

My rational behind this is that these units are cheap (<£40), light (500g), compact and will run for over an hour at peak drain.

Would this be a good idea?