Portable solar charging setup I just built...

SemiMan

Banned
I have a hard time recommending anything off Ebay as you have really no clue how it works. You should be able to get Phocos in your area. They are usually pretty reasonably priced. Even a low cost Morningstar from a local dealer would be better. How long your battery lasts is highly dependent on your charge controller.

I don't know the dealers in Australia so not sure what to recommend. My experience in the past testing low cost charge controllers is that they are worth what you pay .... and you will keep paying with batteries.

Semiman

Norm

Retired Administrator
I see this controller also from the guy I bought the panel from.

Keep in mind the majority of the time, I'll be charging with the charger at home, the solar will only be used occasionally.

I am out of the city and most dealers are over a 100 K from me, so ebay is very convenient.

Norm

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see this controller also from the guy I bought the panel from.

Keep in mind the majority of the time, I'll be charging with the charger at home, the solar will only be used occasionally.

I am out of the city and most dealers are over a 100 K from me, so ebay is very convenient.

Norm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mornings...088&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=321188892638&#ht_4499wt_961

I might look at that one, as it's a major player in the solar controller game.

6A P.V. input and 6A load, so that should be acceptable for most charging applications. Running a tanning bed, or a table saw, maybe not.

Nothing wrong with the one you're looking at except it's a 'no-name' brand.

If you need to edit the link out of my post, feel free. I only posted an Ebay link because you did, lol!

Chris

Norm

Retired Administrator
Links are fine Chris as long as you are you aren't an obvious shill, which I know you aren't :)

I think I'll order from your link.

Norm

SemiMan

Banned
This is a nice controller for the money. Set point is lower than I would like but it has an equalization boost every 28 days. Cutoff is 11.5 which is good. Often they are too low and completely discharge the battery.

Semiman

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

SemiMan

Banned
Norm the one you linked is likely okay. There is a Chinese company that makes these for a bunch of private labels. They are not too bad.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I was going to build a plywood battery box but I spotted this small cooler when i was at Bunnings.

9604825230_20852bece2.jpg
9604825464_9c97621a97.jpg

There will be an piece of aluminium sheet mounted about a centimetre below the top of the box to mount everything.

Norm

SemiMan

Banned
Nice implementation. I may do that with my setup.

Semiman

IonicBond

Enlightened
Your explanation for the 1.7 number is not accurate. This has nothing to do with efficiency compensation. A good quality AGM battery only requires 105 -110% of the capacity of the battery to fully and completely charge.
I pulled that number from the PowerSonic manual - they actually state 1.76. But yes, better agm's probably 1.2

You are overstating how dangerous running below 75% SOC is.
I might be over-cautious since I'm usually in 90F temps much of the time. My secondary concern that many forget is that sulfation isn't the only thing happening at low soc's - grid corrosion is also doing it's dirty work.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
I pulled that number from the PowerSonic manual - they actually state 1.76. But yes, better agm's probably 1.2

I might be over-cautious since I'm usually in 90F temps much of the time. My secondary concern that many forget is that sulfation isn't the only thing happening at low soc's - grid corrosion is also doing it's dirty work.

That 1.75 from the PowerSonic manual is not caused by charge efficiency, it is caused by charge acceptance. As the battery gets closer to fully charged you can only pump charge into it so fast, at least using something approaching a constant voltage algorithm.

If you look at their charts they show charge efficiency in the 90%+ range except at high temps and low currents and also cold temps and high currents.

In their charging graphs they do show a charge volume of 120% though which seems high at least for an AGM battery in good condition.

Semiman

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

That should be more than sufficient.

I didn't see that model in 10A, but I looked at the Australian prices for my Sun Saver 10-L 10A model with low voltage battery disconnect and they were over $80 AU before shipping and I didn't think that you wanted to spend that much.

As always, post pics when you get it all up and running!

Chris

Norm

Retired Administrator
A bit more work on my battery box.

9658157571_9c46762c88.jpg
9661422970_3df43825d6.jpg

Three mm aluminium panel with meter, USB sockets, fuse and Anderson Power Poles still to be added. The finger hole is for lifting the paned which will be held down with Velcro. The meter isn't sitting flush, just trying fit. The panel will be painted black when all the metal work is finished, prior to mounting everything.

Norm

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit more work on my battery box.

9658157571_9c46762c88.jpg
9661422970_3df43825d6.jpg

Three mm aluminium panel with meter, USB sockets, fuse and Anderson Power Poles still to be added. The finger hole is for lifting the paned which will be held down with Velcro. The meter isn't sitting flush, just trying fit. The panel will be painted black when all the metal work is finished, prior to mounting everything.

Norm

Ha! Looks very professional right now. I have an amp/volt meter, not as elaborate as yours, but I've held off installing it, as I have no vessel to really place it in, like you do and it would just be hanging off of my wires that I've posted above. Certainly not as elegant as your implementation.

Good for you!

It's a fun project, no doubt.

Chris

Norm

Retired Administrator
It's a fun project, no doubt.

Chris

It's is a fun project. Just wish there was an easier way to make square holes Chris, I've been starting the cut with my Dremel and then finishing off with a hacksaw and file.

Norm

billy_gr

Newly Enlightened
Norm quick question what is the maximum panel that you can use with this controller ?

I am gathering some info for a similar project (to drive some LED lamps) but the Voc vs Watt per panel cause me headache...

Bill

Norm

Retired Administrator
Norm quick question what is the maximum panel that you can use with this controller ?l
Bill :welcome:

Maximum input is listed as 10 Amps so I'm guessing 120Watts, someone more knowledgeable than I am will come and correct me shortly. :)

Norm

Last edited: