Post those >100,000mi vehicles

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yeah, I'm retired and it's just me and the wife. Most everything we need and enjoy is right here in town. It's about 15 miles round trip to Walmart and back. And about the same to the gun club, so we just don't rack up many miles.

To be honest we need 3 cars like we need Covid. But I bought the truck new 32 years ago, (1991). And I wouldn't get much of anything if I sold it. Plus, it comes in handy for picking up big, cumbersome stuff. So it's still worth a lot more to me than the few bucks I would get by selling it.

The worst think about it is the fuel mileage. It get about 10 in town. And in the Summer I have to run premium, or else it knocks like crazy. But because it gets driven so little, it's not too much of an issue.
Yeah, we had a 1996 Bronco, and then a 1990 Bronco. We're in the salt belt, NE and when the oil pan rotted out, gas prices were over $3 a gallon, and she went to the graveyard. Although my son bought a replacement oil pan for her, when we looked at all of the rusted bolts that needed to be removed (because you need to lift the front of the engine to get the pan in and out), we figured that there were going to be too many nightmares, with studs snapping, that we decided to send her to her final resting place. She got 12 MPG when I drove her, and about 8 MPG when my son drove her.

Last edited:

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
I bought a friends 2003 Astro Van with the 4.3l. Had minimal problems with it. Always changed the oil around 6K with Mobile 1 Syn. I forget exactly what went in the motor but it was like 3K to fix it. At that point it had 347K on the clock and owed me nothing.

Currently I have a 2010 Kia Rondo with 140K on the clock. It still runs great so I will drive it til the wheels fall off. I'm retired and cars are crazy expensive now, especially new.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
2013 Camry XLE Hybrid - 208,000 and going strong
2013 Prius V - 138,000 and going strong
My 'newest' ride - 2004 Land Cruiser - 263,000 and going strong!

Attachments

• ABD3A8AF-642B-4E01-B000-3122CA25C1A3.jpeg
    ABD3A8AF-642B-4E01-B000-3122CA25C1A3.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 87

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
What a neat thread - great to see so many folks looking after their vehicles.
I've never owned a new vehicle until I sold my work van and bought an Isuzu truck. I got great coin for the van, we'd saved up enough, and it made sense to buy new with the truck due to the massive amount of customising on the body. Did it all myself (with a little bit of help from my friends, as the saying goes) - barely run in at 30,000km so far, and a lovely workhorse.

The van had 600,000km on it when I sold her, with the original engine still purring. Kinda cheating as it's a semi-commercial vehicle, but still unheard-of for this model. I maintained it myself - thoroughly and meticulously - and it served me excellently in return, saving my life on several occasions.

Over here 200,000kms is considered the magic number to avoid, but there are higher arbitrary 'thresholds' for bigger commercial vehicles, some of which 'go round the clock' several times, i.e. several million kms.
The key is that engines and mechanical things work best in constant operation with good preventative maintenance schedules in place. Some of the big rigs literally never turn off until service time - weeks at a time 24/7 with rotating shifts for the drivers hauling freight, doing tens of thousands of kms.

Look after your gear and it'll look after you.

IMG_4342.jpeg

NKF806 Resized 01.jpeg

turbodog

Flashaholic
Get that oil checked by a lab... will let you know if you're changing too frequently or not often enough. Generally speaking it's too often.

But don't neglect those transmissions, transfer cases, and rear ends. Had a father, stepfather, and grandfather that changed engine oil every 3k, but literally never changed transmission/rear end. :confused:

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Get that oil checked by a lab... will let you know if you're changing too frequently or not often enough. Generally speaking it's too often.

But don't neglect those transmissions, transfer cases, and rear ends. Had a father, stepfather, and grandfather that changed engine oil every 3k, but literally never changed transmission/rear end. :confused:

^ This.

"Lifetime" gear oil -- never has been, never will be. Despite what the manufacturers' guidance indicates in the car owners manuals.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with over 165,000 miles and my 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

I am looking to finally replace my 11 y/o Unlimited with possibly a Jeep Gladiator, thinking that might be interesting to try!

They can take all of those EV's and flush them!

I'd be happy to have any EV owner/s join me sometime, and follow me in my 2004 Rubicon, let's see what those EV's can REALLY do!

LMOA!

Attachments

• Rubicon '04.07.jpg
    Rubicon '04.07.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Rubicon '04.04.jpg
    Rubicon '04.04.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.jpg
    2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.01.jpg