Tom Bihn - post here

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Not sure I care for all the ballistic nylon. How would you compare them to filson bags? I love my medium field bag
Filson are very nice, as well, I just like the Bihn gear Ballastic nylon lasts decades. My first professional camera bag a Tamrac made of Ballastic nylon has been on every job I have had in 25 years, And still looks great.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Filson zippered tote bag. 21 years - I bought a year before my son was born. More than 2 million miles. Early days it was filled with baby food jars (very heavy). It's been everywhere and done everything. Doesn't look new. But it doesn't look old and worn out. Tough as nails. Just used it in December- Switzerland to Tokyo - carried books, coats and snacks.

nbp

Flashaholic
I ordered the black halcyon/wasabi med Cafe Bag. My only concern was that the halcyon fabric might be a little more floppy than the cordura, but from the big of searching I did it didn't seem like people had an issue with the halcyon, and they said the Cafe Bags were a bit floppy anyways, so... We'll see how it works out. I am excited to give it a try!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I ordered another Yeoman duffel bag in Mediun, this time in burnt orange, one more small Snake Charmer in Orange 152 and a Laundry bag, called the "Travel Laundry Sack Stuff" this bag is really cool, wish I had it 35 years ago.

So, that is my most recent TB order. Another order in early February to come. It will include the "Side Effect," and some other small bags to organize things.

Best,

NR

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the black halcyon/wasabi med Cafe Bag. My only concern was that the halcyon fabric might be a little more floppy than the cordura, but from the big of searching I did it didn't seem like people had an issue with the halcyon, and they said the Cafe Bags were a bit floppy anyways, so... We'll see how it works out. I am excited to give it a try!
Maybe we could get one of your wonderful reviews on the halcyon Tom Bhin Cafe Bag, that would be so nice.

Thanks Nick,

Best wishes,

NR

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Nick. Also, did you get any of the little pouches to hang inside the bag? I have some from a friend who sent me quite a few.

In fact we are both hard to buy for, so we have an agreement that any gifts we give each other will be only TB products. Really helps take the confusion out of gift giving, and we can really make use of them.

nbp

Flashaholic
No I did not. I have some Maxpedition pouches I will use to organize gear inside of it for small items like lights, batteries, multitool, etc.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast

Curious to know if you thought the fabric too floppy after all? I need a backpack and I have my eye on the Synapse 25 in Halcyon.

nbp

Flashaholic
It is a bit floppy, but I think that is also the nature of this particular bag. The backpacks might be different. With the Cafe bag it is mostly the contents that give it structure. That said, I really do enjoy the bag. :)

jarheadgreasemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Love my Synapse 19...

20160524_123915_zpsqvjjuea3.jpg

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I ordered the Synapse 25 in Black Halcyon. I was very tempted to add the Makers Bag in the same material/color combo, but decided to wait for the Synapse to decide if I like the Halcyon or not.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received and returned the Synapse 25. The bag and material are solid, however, I found the straps to be way too thin and floppy for the bag. The sternum strap would have been essential for even light loads as the straps felt like they quickly slid to the extreme ends of my chest. It also felt like it needed some form of frame sheet on the back panel. I haven't owned many backpacks, so it may just be poor expectations of an inexperienced user.