Post your home-made lanyard photos! (Part 2)

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend came up with a great lanyard design. He asked me to make it and tie it to his spyderco for him, and then I added some smaller skulls too…..
DSCF4794.jpg
DSCF4795.jpg

A "Deluxe key ring" from the book Knot craft by Des Pawson
DSCF4786.jpg

A big monkey fist key fob
DSCF4798.jpg

Stormdrane

Enlightened
I uploaded a video for tying a 'long 4 bight' Turk's head knot. I put it up to help those that couldn't quite duplicate tying one from Bud Brewer's photo tutorial, so between the two it might help someone get a better idea of tying one, to add to a walking staff, cane, knife grip, flashlight, sheath, lanyard/fob, bracelet, etc... :)

w226046590.jpg

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Essexman, I gotta know where you got that CF bead. Really nice work!

It was provided by the knife owner. But I understand they were from a chap on JD knife forum.

Edit: You can buy them on the web, just google "carbon fibre lanyard bead"

ARA

Enlightened
Totally awed by the Stormdrane, JD and others :)

Still trying to figure this knotting business. Thanks guys for such a great thread

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea for making simple, but cool lanyards! Do you use lanyards?

I started using the lanyards that came with my lights, but as far as the smaller lights go, I didnt really find the lanyards too useful, so I decided to make them more useful, and tried to find better styles of lanyards for sale, and while doing this I found a good source of lanyards, but better yet, I saw that that same store sells LOTS of lanyard supplies for tying your own lanyards out of many, many different colors of paracord, including really good glow in the dark 3/32" paracord that very quickly charges up under a lamp or sunlight, and will hold its luminosity for a long time, yet is REALLY bright!

But before I bought any of it I wanted to see how to make a basic lanyard, so I went to Youtube and found videos(most not very easy to follow) on how to tie some really cool round and box/square lanyards out of paracord. I use 1 link of GITD paracord and 1 link of another non-GITD color like OD green, blue, or tan. The box lanyard is made of 2 different links of cord.

So I bought some paracord and other paracord making supplies for cheap at Lighthound and made several of my own lanyards for like $1.60 each with GITD cord, and about .90 cents with non-GITD colors! You can also buy lanyard fobs that are metal, plastic, glow in the dark, etc all on the Lighthound site.

So here's the link for the glow in the dark paracord:

http://www.lighthound.com/Paracord-Glow-in-the-Dark-332-size_p_1419.html

Here's the link for all the paracord supplies including many other colors of paracord, fobs, etc:

http://www.lighthound.com/Lanyard-Supplies_c_209.html

Lastly, here's the link to a decent Youtube video showing how to tie a cool box lanyard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5gT2UNw4VY&feature=related

These come out really good if you follow the simple instructions, and they will make it nearly impossible to lose your light, knife or whatever you have it tied to due to the superior glow-in-the-dark paracord. Just remember to remove the center strings in the middle of the paracord, and you need about 32-36" of cord for each link, with 2 links of cord.

I leave my 2 home lights on my end table with GITD lanyards and there is no way you can miss them when the lights are out, and they stay charged for several hours too. The other non-GITD paracord to use is the 450 test paracord.

You can tie one of these and have it finished in less than 1/2 hour.

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened
Re: Great idea for making simple, but cool lanyards! Do you use lanyards?

There are a number of threads about custom lanyards on CPF, and like you, I really rather make my own. I went a simpler way and just copied the lanyard design Surefire uses, just adding the components I like.

Here are 2 that I have recently made:
IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

Like you, I just buy all the materials and combine. Recently found the Titanium lanyard ring on illgear

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Great idea for making simple, but cool lanyards! Do you use lanyards?

^^Yeah, I'd like to make a few lanyards like you made for my larger lights, but with my smaller lights I find that I dont really use the lanyard for its primary intended purpose(whatever that might be(?) I dont wrap the lanyard around my wrist with my smaller lights, so I had removed the lanyard from a few lights because it seemed to get in the way and wasnt serving any real purpose, but then when I found the box/square/round tied lanyards and the glow in the dark paracord, I had finally found a legit use for the lanyards on my smaller lights, which is to illuminate them at night so I can easily find the light in the dark. Also, I hang the end of the lanyard out of my pocket so I can easily and quickly grab the lanyard and pull the light out of my pocket.

But for larger lights, maybe it would be good to have a more traditional style lanyard like the ones you made(above) so that they could be wrapped around the wrist. For the really large lights you could make an even larger lanyard and sling it over your shoulder.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this is a lanyard or a "fob", but it's one I recently made for a Surefire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilfenite

Newly Enlightened
Here is the lanyard that lives on my keyring:
(Click for full size)

And this is the one that lives on my 4Sevens Quark 123^2 (along with said flashlight):
(Click for full size)

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Wow. There's a lot of creative and good looking lanyard ideas you guys have put together..

I would like to get into this for my own stuff. I have paracord but.....

Where do you guys get your clasps/lobster claws, plastic stoppers and ends ?

I would like to make about 50 to use and just have around. Please share your secrets... :)

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
Wow. There's a lot of creative and good looking lanyard ideas you guys have put together.. I would like to get into this for my own stuff. I have paracord but..... Where do you guys get your clasps/lobster claws, plastic stoppers and ends ? I would like to make about 50 to use and just have around. Please share your secrets... :)
Just check the HighlanderNorth post in this page.

cigarbufff

Newly Enlightened
I have one i got with my last survival bracelet...I gotta put it on my mt26!