Powerizer AA NiMHs

Idunno445

Newly Enlightened
Hey all.

I just bought a 3w LED light for my bike made by Dinotte. The light runs off AAs, and came with 4 Powerizer NiMH AAs (look like the light blue and orange ones on Battery Space) and a Powerizer "quick charger" that plugs directly into the wall.

The quality of Powerizer's AAs receives pretty shaky reviews in this forum. However, I haven't read anything about their chargers. Does anyone have any experience with the charger?

Would it be wise to ditch the Powerizer stuff for better quality? Should I replace the cells out of fear that they might go bad during a night ride? If the quality of the charger is questionable, should I drop the charger to avoid prematurely damaging cells? Or should I just try to milk the charger and cells for everything they have in them, then replace them?

Thanks for the advice!

Nick

Newuser01

Enlightened
I personally have not seen the charger you mentioned, mentioned in the forum but I could be wrong. Did you look thru the sticky of charger and battery shootout? Done excelently by Tom/SilverFox.
Powerizer "quick charger" you mention, what kind of info do you have on it? what is printed on the label of the brick? or the back of the charger? Does owner's guide says anything ?

This info would help us(someone with more knowlege than me) to help you.

Regards.

Newuser01

Enlightened
from site said:
Feature:

* Powerizer Slim charger for NiMH rechargeable battery charger from 1 - 4 pcs AA or AAA cells
* 4 independent channels for quick charge/trickle charge in mixing cells in any quantity
* Recharge 1- 2pcs AA or AAA NiMH batteries in 2 hours and 3-4pcs batteries in 4 hours with switching power technology. It is high efficiency, compact size, & lightweight.
* With worldwide input for 100-240V AC 50/60HZ
* Equipped with a dual LED lamp to indicate proper charging
* Automatic charging current selection for AA & AAA batteries
* Intelligent microprocessor controlled.
* Negative delta V cut-off function.
* Temperature sensor to avoid the battery from being damage by over-heating.
* Safety timer controlled.
* Especially designed for rechargeable batteries used in Digital Camera & Pocket PC.

Size Type Capacity Charging Time (1-2pcs) Charging Time (3-4pcs)
AAA Nimh 700mAh 75 minutes 150 minutes
AAA Nimh 800mAh 80 minutes 160 minutes
AAA Nimh 900mAh 85 minutes 170 minutes
AA Nimh 1800mAh 105 minutes 210 minutes
AA Nimh 2100mAh 130 minutes 260 minutes
AA Nimh 2300mAh 140 minutes 280 minutes
AA Nimh 2500mAh 150 minutes 300 minutes
Well! According to the spec's, seems pretty good. You don't have to charge in pairs as in most of the cheap chargers and It chooses charging rates automatically.
The only thing you can't do with this is discharge/forming type and it will not show capacity.
The following features are desireable.
  • Negative delta V cut-off function.
  • Temperature sensor to avoid the battery from being damage by over-heating.
  • Safety timer controlled.
That said, Cells may or may not give you full capacity. I would consider the following issues for what you will be using them for.

1. How many trips would the set (2 cells ? 4 Cells in a light.) last? Would 1 full charge last you a week of riding or 3 days of riding?
2. Can you carry spare charged batteries?

It also depends whether you have a backup edc light with you also. But remember not to discharge them too far that you could hardly see the light while riding. Recharge them soon as you notice it start to dim.

Only when your set of batteries won't last a full trip (or less than 1 hour run time), than I would consider getting a newer/different set of rechargeable batteries.
Regarding your original question, should you ditch the charger ? No. Seems to be very good basic charger that will serve you well.
Only a question would be the batteries would do well or not in your useage.

I would keep the charger even if you ended up getting a better charger such as bc900(very good) or C9000(very good but new to the market).
Note: This is not knowing the spec on your light other than the fact that it took AA's.
<<EDIT>> I looked at [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]DiNotte Basic 3[/font] their web site. According to the spec's 4 cells in a pack would run 2 hours on high. So if your batteries last for about an hour on full charge, I would replace them. But I would think of carrying spares. Nice lights.<<end EDIT>>
Regards.

Last edited:

Idunno445

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help newuser, much appreciated. I was planning on carrying a set of lithium primaries with me while riding to use as backups to the NiMH, so I shouldn't get caught out in the middle of no where with no light. I suppose I'll run these NiMHs into the ground and then look at something a little "better" down the road. Hey, the cells were essentially free with the light, might as well use them.

Thanks
Nick

Newuser01

Enlightened
I agree with Heck in regards to buying some Nimh cells (good Q) for a back up instead of Lithium primaries. And with those newly fangled Eneloops or Hybrids, you won't have to worry about finding them discharged in a storage. I would cycle them at least one a month or so if I were you.

Have fun riding and have a good new year.

Regards.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought many Powerizers in AA, AAA and D over the years and they have worked well for me. I've charged them mainly in an Accumanager 20. In bulk from batterystation the cells are so low priced that I get my moneys worth out of them fairly quickly.

Latest posts