Prime / Prime Pro. Every Day Carry Lights.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Do you have the v2 or v3?

Mine are the V2 with older UI. I generally dislike the flashing green light of the pros as can tell from the function of the light if the battery is running low and don't think it's accurate enough anyways. The same applies to my ZL with battery indicator so this isn't an AT only thing. Near as I can tell all the low voltage heads are the same aka Pro C1 will run just fine with 1XAA. I have extra bodies which aren't all that expensive. If you order from AT get a C2/C1/2AA body and you will also have those lights (but don't go over 4.2 volts aka no 2XCR123 in a C2 body with low voltage head) without paying too much extra. Low voltage head runs forever on 3500 mAh 18650. There might be a pro to the pro with running not protected lithium ions but I don't run naked with these lights. Also don't use many of the features. Not sure what the new V3 not pro modes are. Also as the standard models are less complex I think there is less to go wrong.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main problem with the v3 which is the one available now is the 500 lumen high mode. An eneloop will no support that. Then under that is an 88 lumen mode. Nothing in between. The v2 has I think 370 turbo and ~200 high which is perfect. This is the non pro model

Woods Walker

My main problem with the v3 which is the one available now is the 500 lumen high mode. An eneloop will no support that. Then under that is an 88 lumen mode. Nothing in between. The v2 has I think 370 turbo and ~200 high which is perfect. This is the non pro model

Hold on let me take a look...... Give me a second as curious.

Edit. Ok done checking.

From AT.

OUTPUT LEVELS AND RUNTIMES:500 lm (50min), 95 lm (4h 10min), 34 lm (11h 40min), 10 lm (35h), 2 lm (8d), 0,15 lm (90d)

Ok I forgot what the high was on my older maybe 450 at the emitter not out front which was 370ish. First thing 1XAA Eneloop can put out 500 lumens. I have a ZL SC5 which does but the question with runtimes is for how long. The way the ratings are done today it doesn't have to mean what we think it should. Also that doesn't prove AT's Turbo mode claim. I found this on my download folder though think the numbers are for out front lumens and not sure if it's XM-L or XP-L.

Firefly1: 0.15 lm / 90d
Firefly2: 1.7 lm / 200h
Main1: 10 lm / 25h
Main2: 70 lm / 3h
Main3: 210 lm / 1.2h
Max: 370 lm / 30min

Just cracked out my XM-L A1 in the foggy night. Oh dang it's bright for 1XAA. So easy to get jaded by the advancements over the years. 2 clicks from any mode goes to Turbo mode. Two clicks back to previous mode. Click and hold goes through firefly then Main 1 then 2 then 3 then back to main 1 then 2 then 3 forever. One click activates the last mode used. Gosh I like this UI a bunch! So what happened to Main 3 with the new version? Within reason Main 3 (210) is as field effective when compared to Turbo. I do like the new 30 lumen mode on the XHP-50 wizard (however really liked the standard wizard I gave away as a gift). 30 lumens is a sweet spot in the woods in terms of runtime vs field usefulness for my application. So looks like they changed the Mains with standard version Prime A1 from 10/70/210 to 10/30/95. Not sure which would be more useful? I hardly ever use more than 70 and would gladly employ 30 if it was available. Only use Turbo on rare occasions. The question I always ask myself is if forced to hike all night (not that out of the question for me) which is better? Probably 10/30/95 but if I was into using higher modes give me the 210 as it does about everything the Turbo does using 1XAA only runs longer IMHO.

Last edited:

wintermute2.0

Newly Enlightened
Re: Prime/Prime Pro. Outdoor & Camping flashlights

A question for those who own the Pro model(s) - does the magnet interfere with using the lanyard? I imagine the lanyard clip could annoyingly get stuck to the magnet.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

A question for those who own the Pro model(s) - does the magnet interfere with using the lanyard? I imagine the lanyard clip could annoyingly get stuck to the magnet.

I don't use the lanyard personally but, the magnet comes out easily if it bothers you or you can also buy the smaller and lighter non-pro tailcap for $5...

https://www.armytek.com/products/ac...ap-for-armytek-edc-and-multi-flashlights.html

I prefer it personally because it is 7mm shorter, 13 grams lighter, and I don't need the magnet most of the time.

wintermute2.0

Newly Enlightened
The magnet is one of the reasons why I'm thinking about buying it. I go into a lot of crappily lit mechanical rooms at work and it would be nice to fix it to a convenient sprinkler pipe or electrical panel while I tinker with something or take notes.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magnet is one of the reasons why I'm thinking about buying it. I go into a lot of crappily lit mechanical rooms at work and it would be nice to fix it to a convenient sprinkler pipe or electrical panel while I tinker with something or take notes.

Oh ok. I have never tried the lanyard with the magnet. I use the magnetic tail occasionally but, never use lanyards. I would imagine it would stick to the magnet occasionally because the clip on the lanyard is metal. But, it shouldn't be too annoying and if it bothers you you could just not use the clip on the lanyard and run the lanyard right through the split ring or remove the split ring too and attach the lanyard with a plastic clip or some small cordage. I wouldn't worry about it, it's a great light.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

I replaced the metal parts with thinner cordage as the magnet did grab the little clip. I don't know if it would have been a problem in use but microcord or just the inner strand of paracord took care of any future issues.

wintermute2.0

Newly Enlightened

I received my Prime A2 Pro v3 Warm yesterday. First impression: I really like this light - pretty intuitive UI for a multi-mode light, good spread of useful modes, build quality appears to be very good, and I really like the magnetic tail cap. I realized that the clip sticking to the cap was going to drive me crazy, so I took Tachead's suggestion, and removed the clip and threaded the lanyard directly through the split loop. I'm definitely going to use this for home, work, camping, etc. and the plan is to feed it a very boring diet of alkaline AAs for convenience's sake (that was the reason I wanted it in the first place). If there's one thing I don't like about it, it's the belt sheath. The sheath is fine, it does what it's supposed to do, but the belt loop is stitched closed. I would've much rather it had a snap (like my Predator) or Velcro closure to make it easy to slip it over my belt or attach it to MOLLE webbing. If anyone has a good recommendation for a replacement sheath, I'd appreciate it.