Princeton Tec Byte headlamp review

FliptEG

Newly Enlightened
Used the byte last summer on 2 weekend car camping trips. Battery lasted a 3 night weekend using sparingly. The parasitic draw is significant. Was unable to keep batteries fresh for longer than a month. It is now relegated to back-up in the trunk of the car with batteries removed in case of emergency.

WingNut182

Newly Enlightened
Used the byte last summer on 2 weekend car camping trips. Battery lasted a 3 night weekend using sparingly. The parasitic draw is significant. Was unable to keep batteries fresh for longer than a month. It is now relegated to back-up in the trunk of the car with batteries removed in case of emergency.

Having heard that Princeton Tec might have a possible solution to the parasitic drain problem on the Byte, I emailed them
( [email protected] ) and asked.

This is their reply:
*Removed by Greta - Please read CPF Policy #12

So, I have on on the way! Not sure what a lockout is yet but it will be nice to keep this great little headlight in my daypack again.

Last edited by a moderator:

WingNut182

Newly Enlightened
(Sorry about the un-permissioned quote there )

Anyway, I wanted to pass along the news that PT added a lock out (whatever that is) to the battery door and were willing to ship a replacement door to me free!

ROKIT88

Newly Enlightened
super zombie bump, but I just looked up the referred to fix with the door for the Byte that WingNut posted about. I emailed PT, hopefully I can get one to make the four of these drawer sitters into useful devices again!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I'm actually glad you necro-bumped this thread. Going to contact PT about this as well as about a few broken doors on their other headlamps I need to replace. THX!

Bassbinotoko

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Princeton Tec Byte for $2 at thrift store. With a Fluke meter on 300 mA range, the drain is 0.65 mA, which would empty a NiMH AAA in just about 6 weeks. This compares with a Gerber Triode (single AAA) which only draws 0.07 mA (still not ideal), and a Black Diamond Gizmo (2 AAA) which had less than 0.01 mA drain. That's just terrible performance from what otherwise appears to be an excellent little light; maybe I'll keep it as a backup but with the batteries in a separate ziplock bag, or add it to the flashlight hoard, or crack it open and see if there's an obvious reason for the battery drain.

Last edited:

Latest posts