Protected battery and PCB/PCM/BMS

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
Marc, what exactly are you asking? Are you inquiring about adding a protection circuit to individual cells, or to a light itself?

marc.collin

Newly Enlightened
like i said, if i build a battery pack and put a pcb/pcm/bms, is it useless to use protected battery?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i did it once, it worked fine, but you have to check if your particular pcb will work, there may be a conflict between 2 pcbs, cuz it wont see the cell, it will see another pcb. some work, others may have problems with it.

as for useless, i mean if it works, than it should not hurt, to have double protection, but if it for some reason your pcb will not work with other pcb, you'll have to rip cells protection board out.

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
like i said, if i build a battery pack and put a pcb/pcm/bms, is it useless to use protected battery?

eh... that is not at all what you said. You never mentioned the word "battery pack". But I get what you're saying now.

Basically you are wanting to build your own version of what a laptop battery does. No harm in using individually protected cells, unless as the previous poster mentioned, it introduces conflict between the two PCB's. Otherwise, you can be more certain in compatibility and save on cost by using unprotected cells instead.

marc.collin

Newly Enlightened
eh... that is not at all what you said. You never mentioned the word "battery pack". But I get what you're saying now.

Basically you are wanting to build your own version of what a laptop battery does. No harm in using individually protected cells, unless as the previous poster mentioned, it introduces conflict between the two PCB's. Otherwise, you can be more certain in compatibility and save on cost by using unprotected cells instead.

is it really usefull to use a pbc/pcm/bms with only 1 battery?

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
If we are talking only one individual cell, I wouldn't go through the expense nor effort to protect an entire circuit. I would simply run a self protected cell as the only power source.

I thought originally that you were trying to run multiple cells in a series with a circuit to protect the entire pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums