PT Rage light leak warrant a different color?

LightHearted

Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm very happy with my new PT Rage except for one little thing. When it is on, a small but slightly bothersome amount of light leaks back through the yellow plastic body behind the bezel. I love this little light so much, I'm thinking about buying one in black if it would make a difference. Is there anyone out there with a black PT Rage that could tell me whether that color leaks light or not? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Ken
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
rage.jpg

lambo

Newly Enlightened
KLM,

I'm sure you're going to be thrilled the get the wisdom of another newbie, but at this time of the night, that may be all you get. I don't have a Rage (have a couple on order, though), but I do have the Attitude, which is the same body but running three 5mm LED's. Mine is the black body, too, and I can tell you that even with the smaller amount of light the Attitude puts out (relative to the Rage), I still get a significant amount of backwash behind the bezel, so I think it's reasonable to assume, a fortiori, that even the black body wouldn't help you much with the higher-output Rage.

I have read suggestions on here of wrapping electrical tape behind the bezel. The backwash from the Attitude hasn't bothered me enough yet to attempt that, but I imagine I'll be doing it when I get the Rage.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable old pros will be along shortly to give you some real advice.

Lambo

jbroker83

Enlightened
KLM, I have a black Rage. The Black DOES NOT leak that amount of light that your picture shows...it does "spill" a little from the back of the bezel, but not from the body. After looking at your pic a little longer, I'm 100% sure that if you got a black one, you're spill would greatly be reduced.

LightHearted

Enlightened
lambo,

The Rage has an opaque body and the Attitude a translucent body. The black body on the Attitude is more like a "smoke" while the black Rage is a solid black. Thanks for your input though. Hope you enjoy your rage as much as I do mine.

jbroker83,

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. I'll be ordering one in black as soon as I can justify getting enough stuff to offset the shipping from Botach Tactical. They have an olive drab green one that I may consider as well. Don't know if that color would be any better for light leak though.

Thanks again,
Ken

lambo

Newly Enlightened
KLM,

Well, that shows you what I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It never occurred to me that Princeton Tec wouldn't optimize production by using the same body for the Rage and the Attitude. I'm more impressed with their lights all the time.

I'm as pleased as you are to hear what jbroker83 had to say. I'm looking forward to getting the Rage even more now.

The upside is that if I post a few more of these ignorant, useless replies, I'll get my "Flashaholic" badge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif How's that for irony?

mylan

Newly Enlightened
I have a black Rage. Absolutely no leaking through the body or bezel. That's the main reason I bought a black one.

Mylan

jbroker83

Enlightened
The place where I get my Princeton Tec's usually only carry black ones...occasionally a redish/orange or gray one will show up....so my 40's, surge, two rages, two blasts, attitudes, and my impact and impact XL are black....never really realized spill would be a problem on other colors until I saw that pic...

jbroker83

Enlightened
KLM--also forgot to mention a quick experience I had with my rage last week....was using it for about two months on intermittent use---comparing it to a PT 40 with Lithiums...I noticed my rage was not as bright...(by itself, I thought it was still plenty bright and the light was quite white) so i put fresh AAA's in the Rage...and it's almost up there with my 40 with Lithium AA's....so if you ever get a 40, and put Lithiums in it...the two should be pretty close in output...the 40's beam is smaller and the corona is much bigger on the Rage.