Quark slate blue, gotta have it

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think any verbal description will satisfy your curiosity vs actual beam shot pics but it's actually a really useful beam! The spill is wider than malkoff MDC AA (identical to the McGizmo haiku reflector I believe). So that's what I notice right away. The hotspot is a bit tighter than malkoff MDC AA and the transition from hot spot to spill is a bit more pronounced where the MDC is really smooth transition. I've grown to really enjoy using this. It's a very balanced beam, not all throw, not all flood. Maybe that helps someone just a bit. It's almost the same as the spill width on the alpha, which is impressive. It's so light weight that I find myself using it all the time instead of other heavier (more annoying to carry) lights. This description is of the black quark, not this slate blue. I hope it's the same since the LED size and shape are the same.

If anything, it might make the hotspot a tad bit wider. David Chow has discussed this in the past, but when you add more phosphor to an LED to make it a warmer tint or a higher CRI, you increase it's apparent die size. The bigger apparent die size in the same reflector equals bigger hotspot. This was noticeable when people compared the old stock, cool white 4Sevens lights to the warm and the high CRI limited runs David had, but I don't think it was that significant.

HRace

Newly Enlightened
Thank you defloyd77. I learned something! I'll be interested to compare the old and new beams looking for hot spot differences. I mentioned having had Vinh mod one with an SST-20. It's a noticeably tighter hot spot. Not bad but it's smaller than the 319 LED. Sounds like this 4000K Nichia will go the other way and be a bigger hot spot.

wweiss

Enlightened
Chauncey & HRace: So how does one determine anticipated purchase satisfaction when they are not a collector, but a user? You're right, verbal description is weak but I must say comparing it to my Alpha may work...

Chauncey & HRace: So how does one determine anticipated purchase satisfaction when they are not a collector, but a user? You're right, verbal description is weak but I must say comparing it to my Alpha may work...

The best way has always been to read reviews from trusted members and to also watch video reviews. So much of flashlight satisfaction is solely personal preference and personal use. Over the years I've purchased a few lights I didn't like ....... that's where the WTS section comes in handy. ;)

wweiss

Enlightened
The best way has always been to read reviews from trusted members and to also watch video reviews. So much of flashlight satisfaction is solely personal preference and personal use. Over the years I've purchased a few lights I didn't like ....... that's where the WTS section comes in handy. ;)

Noted and true...

HRace

Newly Enlightened
Funny you noted the WTS section. It's taken me a few years of careful purchases but I now have more lights than I need and know what aspects I enjoy / are meaningful and plan to make my first sale posts soon. I didn't expect to like this light so much but this is my 3rd quark. I plan to sell one though and only keep one 5000k and one 4000k.

wweiss: I took the quark and the alpha out together to try and compare / contrast on a paved trail through the woods. Quark illuminates further but alpha (MCE led) is just so floody. Despite the total width of the spill being very similar, I found myself moving the quark side to side a bit to look around where the alpha simply lights up the whole scene much more evenly. The flip side: there were times I wanted to look way up in a tree or far out across a field or up ahead, the quark reaches out farther. Just different beam profiles but both great. I reach for the quark more often for my uses.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing this is why Jason offers the optional asspherical lens kit, to give it a little more throw if desired

Still would be nice to see some beam shots, subjective or not.. :dedhorse:

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
HRace: Thanks for the MCE / Slate comparison. I know that MCE beam very well and your description clinched the deal fir me - I'll pass. I always carry a dedicated thrower (Manker M13) along with the MCE when in the woods.

HRace

Newly Enlightened
HRace: Thanks for the MCE / Slate comparison. I know that MCE beam very well and your description clinched the deal fir me - I'll pass. I always carry a dedicated thrower (Manker M13) along with the MCE when in the woods.

Great, glad to help. That sounds like a nice combo for the woods.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is plain to see that much more information is given for the emitters on these flashlights than the major brands. There may be a reason why beamshots are not featured. Curious how SkyLumen beamshots are so often cast on trees; certainly no way can a green tint can be seen that way, yet no complaints from the faithful there.

It does not seem that any money will be made adding the option of an aspheric lens for this flashlight, but the owner chooses to give that option for more throw, for us. He also gives a good explanation of the trade-offs involved. Hats off!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, can the white reflector in the aspheric kit be used with the stock window to make it a mule or is it sized smaller to accommodate the aspheric lens?

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered mine yesterday, and got an email last night it's shipping! I was swayed greatly by the discount code they offered on the catalog page.

Gotta love living in the Eastern time zone, ordered before they opened and then shipped by the time I got home, Wohoo!

Looking forward to this one, I also decided to try the magnetic battery charger and spare 16650, as well as the aspheric kit.

I didn't realize I had a couple more 4/Sevens Quarks laying around the office/spare bedroom. Guess I am a fan!

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
Great, glad to help. That sounds like a nice combo for the woods.

It is. There is nothing like having 2, 18 650 lights in your pocket or in your hand while you're in the deep woods. Also I forgot to mention I always carry an HDS back up. So, three is two...

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine QK16L today. The color of the flashlight is gorgeous and the tint is pretty good, it's uniform and slightly rosy. If my light is an indication of whar to expect from all of these Quarks, rest easy my friends, this light is well worth it, especially with that sweet discount that I'm shocked this light was a part of.

wweiss

Enlightened
Got mine QK16L today. The color of the flashlight is gorgeous and the tint is pretty good, it's uniform and slightly rosy. If my light is an indication of whar to expect from all of these Quarks, rest easy my friends, this light is well worth it, especially with that sweet discount that I'm shocked this light was a part of.

Thanks for the report. I so want to like this, but I have too many good lights that work well. Any new ones would have to be over the top for me - at any price. I'm not a collector.

HRace

Newly Enlightened

Great to hear!! Thanks for sharing. Any tendency towards rosy and no mention of green tint is awesome. Yep, the blue color and the discount just make it even nicer. Can't wait to check mine out. I tried to read up about the LED but didn't find any literature published about it yet. Didn't search too much. Initial impressions are fun to read. Thanks again.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the report. I so want to like this, but I have too many good lights that work well. Any new ones would have to be over the top for me - at any price. I'm not a collector.

Hey, I get it. I'm no collector myself. I'm limited on what I can spend on things I don't need. I get buyers remorse all the time, especially on lights of this price. If you check all of the specs of the light and they appeal to you, I can confidently say you'll love the light. It's no barn burner, but is a nicely sized light with 700 lumens of high CRI goodness from a trusted company.

As a side note, the light did come with a black tailstand piece. I don't know if they usually come with the standard version.