Question about charger's input voltage

Boris_yo

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I thought of buying Nitecore universal charger. I noticed it has 5V 2A and 9V 2A specified inder input. The charger comes with USB cable but without wall plug.

I have USB plug with 5V 2A port and 5V 1A port. I have USB plug that cane with my Sony bluetooth speaker. It has 5V 1.5A port. I also have older USB plug with 5V 1A. None of them has 9V 2A. I wonder what is 9V 2A is used for then and do I need to buy USB plug from thenlm that can supply 9V 2A.

DRW

Enlightened
Power Delivery (PD) delivers higher voltages in some USB C devices. There is a handshake where the highest compatible voltage is agreed on between the device and charger.

If you could give model numbers, maybe I could help more.

Boris_yo

Newly Enlightened
If you could give model numbers, maybe I could help more.

Nitecore UM4 charger:
Screenshot_20220819-132618_Chrome.jpg

And Sigma travel USB charger:
20220820_074650.jpg

DRW

Enlightened
Those are both old school tech. That nitecore charger only offers 1500 ma on one slot at a time. Load it up with 4 batteries, it will take a long time to charge.

The power supply you have is middle of the road in capabilities. However, in this use case the nitecore would still be the bottle neck. I would look for something else.

Boris_yo

Newly Enlightened
Those are both old school tech. That nitecore charger only offers 1500 ma on one slot at a time. Load it up with 4 batteries, it will take a long time to charge.

The power supply you have is middle of the road in capabilities. However, in this use case the nitecore would still be the bottle neck. I would look for something else.

Something else like OPUS 700, 2000 ir 3100?

I noticed that Nitecore UM4 does have lithium ion over-discharged battery activation and over-discharged IMR battery restoration but I need that for Ni-MH batteries more since I will mainly be using them. Don't know about IMR batteries. I might purchase lithium ion 18650 one day.

I have weak Ni-MH and I found a manual method to bring them back to better functioning. There is full charge andvfull recharge a couple of times method and a jump start method. In latter you short weak battery with fully charged one and give energy to circulate 30 seconds and test with multimeter if weak battery had nominal voltage returned.

DRW

Enlightened
Damaged batteries are not something I mess with. They go right in the recycle bin. Leaks, fires, unavailability are not features.