Question about Incandescent light bans.

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone addressed the type of lighting to be used in appliances ? ( Especially home stoves/ ovens ) I am sure that led would be a no-go. would fluorescent, CCFL, CFL be a trouble free alternative in a very high temp application ? I've been lurking this forum one year plus and I don't recall seeing this addressed. Thanks in advance everyone.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm sure the proposed bans will take this into account. Long term we can design ovens where the light is external, behind a few insulating panes of glass, so that heat is a non-issue. I'm sure in the meantime exceptions to the ban will be made for oven lamps. My guess is they'll allow incandescents under a certain wattage, and perhaps tinted green or some other color so that they nobody would want to use them for general lighting. It's not like oven lights are a big user of power anyway.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
And what doesn't come out of an oven light as light comes out as... heat! So in a sense they're 100% efficient, not the 1-2% efficient that low wattage incandescent bulbs are in other situations. I guess fridge lights are considerably worse, though, since energy has to be used dealing with the heat they give off, but that has to be done anyway just for opening the door (which turns the light on in the first place).

CFLs in ovens sounds like a really bad idea, what with them containing mercury. Someone here raised the point that the bulb doesn't have to be in the oven. The light could be channeled in from outside.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
And what doesn't come out of an oven light as light comes out as... heat! So in a sense they're 100% efficient, not the 1-2% efficient that low wattage incandescent bulbs are in other situations.

Post of the week.

Me and my mates have what we think is the perfect answer to the coming incandescent ban.

Stock up.

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened
Here in many parts of the USA we have mandatory in home "audits" related to water consumption, are there similar programs in Australia? Not that the relatively low draw of an incan in an electric stove could be detectable, but maybe a "grandfathered" bulb/fixture would be BANNED, much as I have been led to believe some T12 fluorescents have been in Europe ?

Last edited: