Question about springs. (Using 6P or G2 as a weaponlight)

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
I have a newb qestion. I have two 6Ps and a G2. One I have outfitted with a Malkoff P60 dropin and I LOVE it. I don't want to mount that one as I carry it.
I'd really like to mount the G2 on my AR15 and my other 6P on my 12GA.

The question is...under heavy recoil from either long gun, how will the springs hold up? I am considering ordering another malkoff dropin for my G2...but I notice that on the malkoff it has one small spring, whereas surefire dropins all have a small spring, then a large stiff outer spring. Why is this? Will the malkoff hold up to the heavy recoil of either long gun with that tiny spring?

I guess I'm just not clear on how the tailcap spring and drop-in springs work together. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

As a secondary question, what relation, if any, does the metal inside the bezel have in the operation of the light? I remember years ago when I was younger I ordered an R2 drop-in from china (malkoff from now on) and in order for it to work reliably I had to shave off a little metal on the bezel of my 6P. Why does this occur?

Much appreciate the help :)

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The question is...under heavy recoil from either long gun, how will the springs hold up?
-Not sure exactly what springs Gene uses for his drop ins but they seem to be thick wire and very high quality. Mine have held up fine and I would not expect spring failure to be a problem.

I am considering ordering another malkoff dropin for my G2...but I notice that on the malkoff it has one small spring, whereas surefire dropins all have a small spring, then a large stiff outer spring. Why is this? Will the malkoff hold up to the heavy recoil of either long gun with that tiny spring?
-Genes designs focus heavily on thermal heat transfer from the module to the host. So they require snug fit contact to conduct heat, trapped air space is a thermal insulator. So his modules do not rely on the large spring to make electrical contact.

I guess I'm just not clear on how the tailcap spring and drop-in springs work together. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
-On the chinese P60 modules, the outer spring serves as the - contact, while the smaller inner spring is the +. My understanding is that "suspending" the cell between two springs better prevents power interrupt from heavy shock. Not really a problem with single mode dropins, but mode flippers will be a nightmare in this scenario as power interrupt will change modes.

As a secondary question, what relation, if any, does the metal inside the bezel have in the operation of the light? I remember years ago when I was younger I ordered an R2 drop-in from china (malkoff from now on) and in order for it to work reliably I had to shave off a little metal on the bezel of my 6P. Why does this occur?
-I grind down the base of my P60 host bezels so that way the drop in module (-B) bottoms out against the inside of the body tube. If the bezel tightens down before the drop-in bottoms, you will hav an intermittent electrical contact. Genes modules are designed to be slightly taller, so that way they bottom-down inside the body tube just before the bezel tightens down against the outside shoulder of the host body. This is the common Malkoff gap condition many CPFers report.

Much appreciate the help :)
-Sure no problem. The other thing to keep in mind is that Solarforce bezels are always a little longer than Surefires, so the solar bezels always seem to need more grinding.

Some pics of bezels I have had to grind down.
Solarforce bezel with a 6P body and Malkoff M60
dscn0269t.jpg

Surefire bezel with solarfore L2m and a DIY-build XRE at 1.4A. This one here I intentionally over-ground the SF bezel and I compress a rubber O-ring in the gap. This is my water submersible light and I have 3 O-rings stuffed in the bezel-to-body junction to keep out water.
dscn0272ap.jpg

Solarforce bezel with SF-G2, incan host. I didn't really need to grind this one down, its just a light I put together from spare parts.
dscn0273e.jpg

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
In addition to Kramers excellent post, here is an excerpt from Malkoff's website

We have tested, abused, jumped, dove, used in combat and thrown almost everything we can at these modules… we have modules with over 100,000 rounds of 5.56mm ammo on them! A true American product built by true Americans! We endorse this product from general daily use all the way to the worst riggers of combat operation." -Travis Haley and Chris Costa Magpul Dynamics LLC

I would say that the modules are very good at handling recoil, and the springs should hold up okay. If you are using primary cells in the surefire, a wrap of paper may make the cells tight in the tube, potentially reducing movement in the tube?

I would email Gene and ask the same question, I would say it should be fine, and if it isn't, then there is also the excellent warranty on the modules.