Questions about Tritium for Jewelry Applications

Z

z_the possum

Hey there, eveyone. Ive been pondering something for a while was hoping to get some input, to see if what I want to do is feasible.

I dabble in metalsmithing a bit, and for some time have considered making some kind of luminescent pendant for my daughter. My ideas have wandered around, but my latest idea is to use an opal and/or maybe topaz in a silver setting that's lighted from within. In other words, I'd like to make it so the opal or other gems would give off a slight glow in dim light. I don't like the idea of giving her something that requires batteries, and don't want it to be too bright and flashy, so rather than LEDs I was looking at tritium vials- specifically a pair of ice blue 2x8mm vials mounted directly behind the (teardrop-shaped) opal.

Opals are sort of transluscent, so I understand some or most of the light would be blocked, depending on thickness. I don't want it to actually cast much light, but like I said, I want enough light coming through the stone that it would appear to glow in dim light, or maybe be spotted across a room in darkness once your eyes are adjusted.

Do you think these tritium vials would be bright enough for this application? Does anybody here happen to have some vials access to jewelry or stones that they could try out? (just hold it behind see if the stones light up?) Ive also thought about a similar idea with mother of pearl, if anyone happens to have some of that to try.

I've spent a good hour or two searching but couldn't find anything like this; let me know if I should be asking in a different sub forum.

thanks.

apeironian

Newly Enlightened
I was actually wondering the same thing today, for a ring application. Also, anybody know if there's any health concern with long-term direct to skin contact with tritium vials?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually wondering the same thing today, for a ring application. Also, anybody know if there's any health concern with long-term direct to skin contact with tritium vials?

I put a few vials on the detector at my uni's nuclear research lab, nothing showed up.
I would assume there wouldn't be a problem.

Craig

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know that this has ever been satisfactorily answered. /shrug

I'd love to know. I carried a TecEng fob on my keychain for a while, but a vial that big sitting in my pocket all day ended up being more of a concern than it was worth. Currently in the process of replacing it with an LED marker.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I hope not, I've been wearing a TI trit pendant for a few years now, I never take it off.
Norm

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I've been wearing a TI trit pendant for a few years now
Everything I've read indicates that the outer layer of dead skin stops all the beta radiation produced by trit emissions. Only if tritium is taken into the body can it produce a significant radiological dose.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of watches that still use Tritium glow tubes for the markers, hands etc.
This was common practice in watches years ago.

jason22

Newly Enlightened
The primary health risk of Tritium is that it is radioactive and if it is ingested or if dust particles containing radium are inhaled, it can lead to various bone diseases and forms of cancer.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium is a low enegy beta particle (electron) emitter (about 6Kev, considerably less than the energy of most of the electrons that strike the phosphors on the face of a CRT display). The Half value layer (distance required to stop half the radiation) in air is about 1/4 of an inch (6mm). Suffices to say that for anything denser, the Half Value Layer is considerably less. It has a half life of about 12 years, and decays into Helium 3, which will diffuse out of almost anything you put it in. In my experience the phosphors in the tritium vials go long before the Tritium decays. There is a basic problem with chemical bonds with a strength of a few electron volts being hit by electrons with energies of several thousand electron volts.

As others have pointed out, the hazard for tritium is ingestion or inhalation. As long as the vials are intact, the radiation hazard can be considered nil. It is hard to measure the radiation from a tritium source because generally the 'window' material on the detector is sufficient to stop the low energy electrons that are emitted. Dead skin works just as well.

jdement12b

Newly Enlightened
Besides the standard fobs and EDC accessories, has anyone seen any small time jewelry production utilizing tritium, including what the OP asked about translucent stones?

It's a great idea. I've been wanting to do something similar. Has anyone tried it yet? Any pics?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
The primary health risk of Tritium is that it is radioactive and if it is ingested or if dust particles containing radium are inhaled, it can lead to various bone diseases and forms of cancer.

You are confusing Tritium & Radium. Radium was what they used on the old railroad pocket watches. Tritium will get flushed out via the kidneys.

...has anyone seen any small time jewelry production utilizing tritium, including what the OP asked about translucent stones?

Hard to see how you could get it bright enough to notice, but what the hey, might as well try. Would be neat if it worked.

Last edited:

Innovo

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.

I am experimenting with a few designs (no gemstones yet).

806b6e63-35d7-4482-b959-32e40c5fc221.jpg

830e9895-6c07-4c1a-bd05-ed808bfa5f1d.jpg

ee3f8491-51e5-4ddb-bd02-2dd5550720a1.jpg

Most of these are still in development.

You can find my work at:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/innovo
http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Everything I've read indicates that the outer layer of dead skin stops all the beta radiation produced by trit emissions.
This is correct, what's more no beta radiation whatsoever is able to pass through the glass enclosure.

However, the process of stopping the weak beta radiation produces Bremsstrahlung X-rays.
This is confirmed by several sources over the net that I have found.
I have found no information at all that puts the amount or energy level of this radiation into a physiological perspective or compares it to other radiation sources that are present in our environment.

Radiation of a similar energy is produced in cathode ray tube monitors. The process that lets the screen light up is the same that makes tritium vials glow.

lookshiny

Newly Enlightened
Just remember that one inhales more Radon in your apartment than you could with one vial if you were to sniff the whole thing like cocaine (no I don't do Coke :shakehead) I remember when H3 watches were illegal in Germany, but I could legally import them from the USA in Germany. Years after that Germany finally realized that they went a little bit overboard :nana:

Latest posts