Quick li-ion/Charging Question

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Was curious about potential dangers of a power flicker or loss of power during a charging cycle. For example, I popped one of my protected RCR123 into a charger, powered it on, then realized it was not the DSD charger that it came with, so I then unplugged it. Popped the battery into the DSD charger then plugged it back in. Now both chargers are RCR123 chargers but I always charge the batteries with the chargers that came with them. The whole scenario got me curious on whether the battery is ok now or not due to the loss of power...

I've tried to read up on the whole li-ion precautions but either I am missing this part or something...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Shaman

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Shaman,

Li-Ion chargers terminate on maximum voltage. It will make no difference if you put the cell in different chargers (as long as they are suitable for Li-Ion charging), or if the power flickers or goes out.

Tom

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi SilverFox,

Thanks for the reply. I was getting a bit nervous about using the RCR123 now that I stopped and started the recharging cycle on it.

So the cell should be ok correct (Even though it did not complete the charge cycle on the first charger but did on the second)? And for that matter any battery that doesn't complete the charge cycle is not damaged per se, merely not completely charged correct?

Thanks again for the assistance and reply. I have been following your posts as well as other CPF veterans/experts for quite some time now. You/others truly provide a wealth of information to CPF. I thank you for that as well!

God Bless!

Sincerely,

Shaman

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Shaman,

You are correct. A partially charged cell only becomes a problem when it is used with a fully charged cell in a multi cell application.

Tom

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Whew! *Sigh of relief*

Thanks again for the replies!

I never use multicell flashlights or configurations with my RCR123s (or cr123 for that matter). Even though I have 2 sets of protected batts and a surefire 6P/3W dropin sitting close by... I haven't used any batts in it since the cr123a problems started coming to the forefront. Just not worth the risk for my family nor myself. All my RCR123 protected are used in luxeon single cell flashlights and my 3 unprotected RCR123 batts go strictly in my HDS B42 and a modified Longbow Micra with a Wiz 750 board in it (both have protection circuits in the flashlight rather than on the batt).

Good knowledge! Thanks again for sharing and informing!

God Bless!

Sincerely,

Shaman