Quick question - can I used my Pila IBC Charger to recharge 3.0v RCR123s?

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
I've just bought a Surefire E1b, and from what I've read it's not too keen on 3.7v RCR123 batteries as the voltage is a bit too high. However it's OK on 3.0v RCRs - my question is can I get some 3v RCR123s (probably will get some Soshine ones, they have a good reputation) and use them in my Pila charger or is that rated for 3.7v cells only and would ruin the 3v ones?

Sorry if this is a silly question!

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Sorry , but NO ... you can NOT charge 3v cells on your Pila .... wrong chemistry.

Pila is just for 3.7v cells .... as you expected.

Chargers specifically for 3v cells only cost about 12 dollars .

Recommended that you buy one where you bought the cells. (matched to it)

~

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
Had a feeling that was the case :( noticed there was a soshine charger too which i think is compatible or the ultrafire wf-188 charger which has a 3.2/3.7v voltage switch. Which would be better for the 3v cells?

Sorry for the triple post by the way!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

When you buy 3v cells from a dealer , get the charger they sell for them.

That way ..... if there is a problem , you are charging with the charger they sold you .

Then they can't claim you charged them on an in-appropriate charger .

That's my advice .

~

JanCPF

Enlightened
In short - no. The Pila IBC charges to 4.15-4.18 volts which would ruin your 3.0 volt RCRs.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......However it's OK on 3.0v RCRs - my question is can I get some 3v RCR123s (probably will get some Soshine ones

Hi Sammy. While Jan is more or less correct, no, you cannot charge "3 Volt" RCR123 cells with the Pila. Specifically, concerning the Soshine cells you mentioned however, the problem would be that the cells would only be about half charged.

The Soshine "3 Volt" cells, are actually regular 4.2 Volt LiCo cells with two diodes incorporated under the positive nipple of the cell. One of the diodes effectively reduces the voltage of the cell when under load to ~3 volts (in most cases, under most current loads, the voltage is actually higher than this), the other diode allows the cell to be charged (diodes only allow the flow of current in one direction). The effect of the charging diode is that the voltage required to charge the 4.2 Volt cell behind the diode must be higher (more or less, the opposite effect of the diode used to lower the voltage of the cell under load).

So anyway, to charge a "3 volt" LiCo cell to its proper voltage, the charging voltage must be in the 4.4-4.5 Volt range. This is why this specific type of cell requires a special charger that must only be used for these cells and no others!

LiFePO4​ cells, are a different story, as they also require a different charger than the "3 Volt" LiCo cells. The Pila would be hard on these cells, as they would be grossly overcharged, as Jan pointed out.

If you do a "CPF only" Google search with something like "3 Volt LiCo cells", you will find more info here on the Forum.

Also, personally, I would choose to run LiFePO4​ cells in your E1B. They may have a bit less capacity, but are easier to deal with, in my experience. I am replacing all of my "3 Volt" LiCo cells that I use for 3 Volt applications, with LiFePO4​ cells.

Dave

JanCPF

Enlightened
Oh didn't know that about the soshine cells - thanks for pointing it out Dave :thumbsup:

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information everyone, where would be the best place to get LiFePO4 cells that would ship internationally without crippling shipping charges? I have to admit that's a battery chemistry I'm not familiar with very well. As per TMGs's advice I'd probably get a charger from that same place too.

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
I found a seller on ebay that sold a 4-channel charger and 4 battery set so I've just ordered that, was fairly cheap but hopefully not nasty! Would post a link but think its against the rules, the seller has excellent feedback though

DWood

Newly Enlightened
I just received my AW RCR123 batteries and CR123 dummy spacers. Does it matter if the dummy goes on the top or the bottom in my Pila charger?

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
I've got my Surefire E1b and charger now, noticed on the 3.2v LiFePo4 cells the Surefire flickers on low. Trying the batteries on my DMM shows about 3.6v off the charger - is this more than the E1b can handle? Am I risking blowing the driver?