dyeman12

Newly Enlightened

Dyeman12...................140Cn........#5758

No flicker on low or any other setting
Tail cap nice and strait
Bezel nicely centered
Very pleasing color
Minor hickeys in the anodizing - no biggie

Paid full price a day before the new lineup came out, but I have no problem with a few extra bucks going to someone with as good a reputation as Henry. Thanks for an outstanding product!

IMG_0824.jpg

luxlover

Banned

Tail cap nice and straight
Bezel nicely centered
Very pleasing color
Minor hickies in the anodizing - no biggie

Paid full price a day before the new lineup came out, but I have no problem with a few extra bucks going to someone with as good a reputation as Henry. Thanks for an outstanding product!
Welcome to CPF and the wacky world of Ra lights. Nice sexy shot of your new arrival. Nice backdrop for the shot. What is it?

hahaha.gif
You lucky dawg. Somebody was kissing your light and left hickies? I can understand why. She's so pretty! :grin2:

Enjoy the light and CPF. Don't be a stranger. Post here often.

Jeff

The Sun

Enlightened

Tail cap nice and strait
Bezel nicely centered
Very pleasing color
Minor hickeys in the anodizing - no biggie

IMG_0824.jpg

where'd ya get that clip? :D

dyeman12

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF and the wacky world of Ra lights. Nice sexy shot of your new arrival. Nice backdrop for the shot. What is it?
LuxLover - Thanks for the welcome. Been reading the threads for a while and I like this forum's style. Tons of good info. As for the back drop, it's a Uchida cutting mat in black opaque.

where'd ya get that clip? :D
Sun - I ordered the Arc clip from Lighthound about a day after ordering the light from the BatteryStation about a week ago. I sent an email to RaLights (Henry) to get it strait from the source, but now understand he was most likely pretty busy with rolling out the new lineup of Clickies. What was nice is that both packages arrived on the same day, so I was able to do a little dremel work to put the black clip on. I am on the prowl for some SS torx or allen 4x40 button heads to replace the phillip heads. And if I can find them in a blackened stainless, that would be the ticket! At least the two phillip heads lined up pretty nice.

IMG_0825-1.jpg

- My apology for getting off topic - please move if needed.

The Sun

Enlightened
LuxLover -

Sun - I ordered the Arc clip from Lighthound about a day after ordering the light from the BatteryStation about a week ago.

thanks, i figured you modified an Arc clip. i thought maybe someone was allready crankin out some pre-spaced clips. looks great, i'm gonna have to dirve over to lighthound and get on that Monday :D

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Ok got everything updated. Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a while... When I saw the news about the restructuring of the Clicky lineup, I threw my hands in the hair and exclaimed, "crikey!" In doing so, I knocked my chair over backwards, fell out my window, and landed on the top of a passing freight train, with amnesia. I rode the rails for two days, learning all I could from the hobos I found in my company, and then stowed away upon a freighter by posing as a bag of tangerines. Fortunately, I was able to entertain myself on my sea journey by reading the scraps of newspaper I found being used as packing material in nearby crates, thanks to the 140Cgt I found in my pocket, which I slowly learned how to use again. I never did discover the name of the island I ended up on, I spent only a day there before, driven by hazy returning memories of my past, I seized command of a visiting pirate ship and sailed for home. And here I am, and the registry is all up to date and ready to go. Next step, figure out how I'm going to deal with the complete elimination of current of naming formats and introduction of four new ones that contain 0% helpful output information and 100% ridiculous marketing. :shakehead

#5177 went from Henry's pocket to mine. :whistle:
A nice score! Too bad Henry doesn't have a light registered now though. I hope the recent issues haven't caused him to jump ship to another edc! :laughing:

2 More for Goatee... 5851 and 5989

One of them is very warm a special edition if you will:naughty:
I've said it before, but maybe not in this thread: In the opinion of the Official Clicky Registry, the 100wwCn is the best Clicky currently produced. Not the brightest, not the farthest throwing, not the most efficient, not the most ideal for absolutely every use; just the best. There you have it, secret's out, I'm not neutral.

Polar Light..................140Cn........#6078
For some reason it always makes me happy to see a Clicky off adventuring in the far far north... it just seems like the perfect habitat for flashlights.

My apology for getting off topic - please move if needed.
It's adequately on topic as far as I'm concerned, you were answering questions raised by your photo. Welcome to the forum, thanks for registering.

Moka

Enlightened
Next step, figure out how I'm going to deal with the complete elimination of current of naming formats and introduction of four new ones that contain 0% helpful output information and 100% ridiculous marketing. :shakehead

If you have a look at the "New Ra products thread" (sorry can't find now, am only on for short time.
Enzo had some ideas for the new Ra Products... All different from the current so that we can differentiate those who have the 'older' incarnations of the Clickies... :D

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Enzo had some ideas for the new Ra Products...

Yes, I suggest:
C, CN, CGT, WWCN remain for those who have them.
140-CT (Clicky Tactical), 120-EDCT (Every Day Carry Tactical), 140-CE (Clicky Executive), 120-EDCE (Every Day Carry Executive), and 100-WWCT (Warm White Clicky Tactical) be used for the new incarnations of the lights.

Eventually you may have to add 140-CEGT (Clicky Executive Guaranteed Tint).

Work for you, Saturn?

Last edited:

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
Registering my HDS! I got a 140 Cgt Serial #6110. (250clicks contest prize) This is actually the light I won with Henry's backdoor contest on the HDS EDC BASIC secret 250clicks. ;) hi to all! ;) MeLLo JeLLo

luxlover

Banned
Registering my HDS! I got a 140Cgt Serial #6110. (250 clicks contest prize) This is actually the light I won with Henry's backdoor contest on the HDS EDC BASIC secret 250 clicks. ;) Hi to all! ;) MeLLoJeLLo
Congratulations is in order! How long have you had your spanking new 140Cgt, being that you are just now registering it?

On another topic.....
Oh you sly fox! Oh you dirty rat! You are the one who was responsible for the utter joy, ecstacy, euphoria and bliss derived by my Newbury Park CA buddy, for whom I bought a B42XRGT just about when you discovered the Basic models' backdoor! You are the hero of many of us HDS/EDC Basic light owners. By the way, in Oct. 2008, I acquired a very nice B42XRGT with a Seoul P4 and a Peu SS bezel with three blue tritium vials. Thanks to you, the light works FOR ME, and not vice versa!

Are you in Carlsbad CA or near that, by any chance?

Jeff

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Yes, I suggest:
C, CN, CGT, WWCN remain for those who have them.
140-CT (Clicky Tactical), 120-EDCT (Every Day Carry Tactical), 140-CE (Clicky Executive), 120-EDCE (Every Day Carry Executive), and 100-WWCT (Warm White Clicky Tactical) be used for the new incarnations of the lights.

Eventually you may have to add 140-CEGT (Clicky Executive Guaranteed Tint).

Work for you, Saturn?
Hmmmmmmmmm... Let's take a moment to ponder the issue. That's pretty good and almost works for me. The problem is simple: that's not what they're called, not officially. I'd like to continue to use (with slight formatting alterations) the official names used by the manufacturer, and HDS is no longer using the output in the name. However, if these same models are still around when output is increased, it'd create confusion if the output isn't listed, have to start listing them by generations and confusing everyone. I'm thinking the most officially correct list of models is 170Cn, 140Cgt, 140Cn, 140C, 100ww-Cn, CE, CT, EDCE, EDCT; since that's how it's given to us by what should be the official final word on the subject. But this would require additional labeling later if outputs change and it makes things inconsistent and a little ambiguous now. :confused: So I guess what it comes down to is that HDS has given us a rather bad naming scheme, is it worth it to honor it or should I use a better one, more like suggested by Enzo? Now that I think about it that way, my view is changing and I'm leaning towards the latter. Actually, with that said, I think the decision is made. HDS accuses other manufacturers of marketing their lights with outputs that are "ideal" and not what the light actually generates in use once it's been running long enough to warm up, but now they do more or less the same thing by marketing the lights by the output that is attained only under the ideal circumstance of having your thumb entering a click sequence every 10 seconds to get it, listing that as the high in the basic description, and not making the truth clear unless you read the detailed spec list. The model designation change from high to burst (from strictly honest and established method to misleading, marketing-driven method) was made when it became clear that the 120s would not be possible; it was a change necessary to more effectively market against their most direct competition, but in making that change they became arguably less forthright than their competition (one often doesn't quite hit their claim, but the other hits it and then intentionally drops to even less; the now "small print" high). I like burst, and I played a small part in the push for it, but I don't approve of the way it's being used as a number generator to make the lights look better on paper, especially when no deception is needed to make them look better by straightforward explanation. Beyond just being lazy and loose with the truth, it's disrespectful to the customers, suggesting that these lights are bought by people who don't have a great enough understanding to make the right choice if they're not lured in by what's presented as shiniest. That's a valid attitude at the low end, but seems below a light and company of this class. Then again, the new models start so cheap that the attitude now becomes more valid... except now, just as they drop to a midrange price that better justifies it, they're stepping back from making a max output claim in the model name and instead adding "cool" new designations; one an attempt at snob appeal stolen from SF, the other the number one marketing buzzword in the world of "man-gadgets." I miss the days when HDS had the gumption to market a light that said "Basic" right on the side; that showed a refreshing confidence in both the product and the customer. I think that's the long answer to my question of whether their designations are worth the additional trouble of honoring. No, I don't think their marketing is worth honoring; it's not done well enough, it's not adequately respectful of the clientele. I think I will take the position that the conventions established during the EDC days, which were good and consistent, should be viewed as the truest gospel, while Ra conventions should be subject to scrutiny and ignored when they stray too far from what fits into a sensible scheme. Objections? Good pondering session, thank you, Enzo.

Registering my HDS! I got a 140 Cgt Serial #6110. (250clicks contest prize) This is actually the light I won with Henry's backdoor contest on the HDS EDC BASIC secret 250clicks. ;) hi to all! ;) MeLLo JeLLo
MeLLo! The hero of the Basics! Glad to see you here. I'd certainly like to hear more about how you acquired your prize, if you should feel like sharing.

jojobos......... ........2338
In Henry's words, "can you say 'prototype?'" That's where I've put you, based on your serial.

luxlover

Banned
Hmmmmmmmmm... Let's take a moment to ponder the issue. That's pretty good and almost works for me. The problem is simple: that's not what they're called, not officially. I'd like to continue to use (with slight formatting alterations) the official names used by the manufacturer, and HDS is no longer using the output in the name. However, if these same models are still around when output is increased, it'd create confusion if the output isn't listed, have to start listing them by generations and confusing everyone. I'm thinking the most officially correct list of models is 170Cn, 140Cgt, 140Cn, 140C, 100ww-Cn, CE, CT, EDCE, EDCT; since that's how it's given to us by what should be the official final word on the subject. But this would require additional labeling later if outputs change and it makes things inconsistent and a little ambiguous now. :confused: So I guess what it comes down to is that HDS has given us a rather bad naming scheme, is it worth it to honor it or should I use a better one, more like suggested by Enzo? Now that I think about it that way, my view is changing and I'm leaning towards the latter. Actually, with that said, I think the decision is made. HDS accuses other manufacturers of marketing their lights with outputs that are "ideal" and not what the light actually generates in use once it's been running long enough to warm up, but now they do more or less the same thing by marketing the lights by the output that is attained only under the ideal circumstance of having your thumb entering a click sequence every 10 seconds to get it, listing that as the high in the basic description, and not making the truth clear unless you read the detailed spec list. The model designation change from high to burst (from strictly honest and established method to misleading, marketing-driven method) was made when it became clear that the 120s would not be possible; it was a change necessary to more effectively market against their most direct competition, but in making that change they became arguably less forthright than their competition (one often doesn't quite hit their claim, but the other hits it and then intentionally drops to even less; the now "small print" high). I like burst, and I played a small part in the push for it, but I don't approve of the way it's being used as a number generator to make the lights look better on paper, especially when no deception is needed to make them look better by straightforward explanation. Beyond just being lazy and loose with the truth, it's disrespectful to the customers, suggesting that these lights are bought by people who don't have a great enough understanding to make the right choice if they're not lured in by what's presented as shiniest. That's a valid attitude at the low end, but seems below a light and company of this class. Then again, the new models start so cheap that the attitude now becomes more valid... except now, just as they drop to a midrange price that better justifies it, they're stepping back from making a max output claim in the model name and instead adding "cool" new designations; one an attempt at snob appeal stolen from SF, the other the number one marketing buzzword in the world of "man-gadgets." I miss the days when HDS had the gumption to market a light that said "Basic" right on the side; that showed a refreshing confidence in both the product and the customer. I think that's the long answer to my question of whether their designations are worth the additional trouble of honoring. No, I don't think their marketing is worth honoring; it's not done well enough, it's not adequately respectful of the clientele. I think I will take the position that the conventions established during the EDC days, which were good and consistent, should be viewed as the truest gospel, while Ra conventions should be subject to scrutiny and ignored when they stray too far from what fits into a sensible scheme. Objections? Good pondering session, thank you, Enzo.
Excellent manifestation of your ponderous thinking. But in the future, please pontificate using shorter paragraphs. My room is still spinning in front of my eyes, after reading that one looooong paragraph! :ohgeez:

Jeff
Fellow Pontificator

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Saturn, you hit it right on..

Ra lights should accurately describe their products as 100lm and 85lm lights in the title. Burst is an optional feature, not something that should be used to 'advertise' a higher output in order to lure people away from other lights who claim 120lm as their maximum.

They should also put the output in the name of the light, as they had done before. i.e. Ra-85-TR, Ra-100-TW, Ra-120-TW; all very descriptive. We can see output, model and beam style all in the title. Then they went to Ra-140-C, Ra-140-CGT, Ra-140-CN; a departure from the more honest approach, because accurately they are Ra-100-C, Ra-100-CGT and Ra-100-CN which happen to have an optional, 10 second burst Level 23.

So the newest scheme, provided Ra wants to use Tactical and Executive as titles, should be Ra-100-CT, Ra-100-CE, Ra-85-EDCT, and Ra-85-EDCE.

But we probably wont see that.

Marketing generally distorts everything to make products appear better than the competition, either by listing an unsustainable output, or leaving out designating information from the titles - Tactical and Executive mean nothing. (I mean really what's next? Ra Clicky Secretarial, Ra Clicky Janitorial, Ra Clicky Bellman). It's kind of an invalidation of the Ethos we have come to expect from HDS/Ra.

I hope that a return to the honest, forthright approach can happen soon and painlessly. The new scheme has generated a tremendous amount of useless chatter on CPF revolving around the features offered by these lights. It has caused most of the dedicated patrons of HDS/Ra to continuously back up Ra Lights here on the forum in an attempt to stamp out misinformation.

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
The new scheme has generated a tremendous amount of useless chatter on CPF revolving around the features offered by these lights. It has caused most of the dedicated patrons of HDS/Ra to continuously back up Ra Lights here on the forum in an attempt to stamp out misinformation.
A very astute observation. Indeed, a model description change is in order. I will confess that before I "studied" Russtang's comarison table, I was confused with model, output, materials, etc. There is no clear pattern that can be derived based on the model name.

It appears that the Two Guys from Cambria have a pretty good handle on things. Maybe it's due to the water they are drinking! They are a good team, as far as I am concerned.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.