Raw NS - Neutral white?

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I've just received my new Lummi Raw NS and I got surprised when I turned it on as the light has a very yellowish tone. I ordered the standard Cool White LED so I don't know whether this is because the battery was low, or I got a neutral white LED by mistake, or it's just a defective LED.

Does anyone know if there is any difference on the LED emitter, between the cool & neutral white? Or is it just a "layer" on top of the LED like on this picture?

wee-le's.jpg

(picture is from the Wee emitters, from Lummi website)

This is the photo I've taken of my Raw NS, please click to enlarge:

Thanks in advance.

MKLight

Enlightened
Strange. Is it nearly incadescent in color? Could it be mistaken for an incadescent? Have you fully charged the battery with the included Nano charger? Can you take beam shots to compare your Raw NS to some other lights so we can see what you're seeing?

Thanks,
Mike

ichoderso

Enlightened
if you have another Cree XR-E sa. Q5/R2 you can compare the color of the dies, the cool white have a more green-yellow die, the 5A tint LED have a bit more orange-yellow die color...

Jens

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
Hi, thank you for your replies. I charged the battery completely but still got the same tone. I have discussed this with Rob and it's definitively a neutral white light, so I will have to send it back.

I took a shot of the light for comparison: Energizer keychain light (Nichia LED) on the left, Raw NS on low (20 lumen) on the right, click to enlarge.

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
I received my Raw NS back today... but I still have the same yellowish beam :confused: . Supposedly, the LE has been changed but I can't see any difference. Honestly, I first I thought it was just me. But as soon as I compare it to my LED Lenser H7 or the small Energizer you can tell it really is a yellowish beam.

Has anybody had a similar problem before? I've emailed Rob about this. Just wondered whether anyone could help with this please.

Below is a beamshot comparison I've just taken: Left Raw NS Low (20 lumen), Right LED Lenser H7 on high. There is a big diference on intensity but please ignore that, just check the colours of both beams and their halos.

rawh7.jpg

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Neutral White to me, but then again, you can only tell if you don't show it against the wooden top. On a white wall perhaps?

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
My friend has taken the H7 with him so now I have to compare to the Energizer again (1 Nichia LED), but despite of the purple tone of the Nichia you can still appreciate the yellowish beam of the Raw NS.

Some more beamshots: Energizer LED keychain light VS Raw NS Low (20 lumen):

WHITE DOOR VERTICAL
beam1.jpg

WHITE DOOR BEAM & HALOS
beam2.jpg

WHITE DOOR BEAM & HALOS (-1 EV)
beam3.jpg

ON A WHITE SHEET OF PAPER
beam4.jpg

ON A WHITE SHEET OF PAPER (-1EV)
beam5.jpg

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now it looks like Standard Cool White, I'm ignoring the light on the left because that's not a good comparison with Nichia, IMO.

The Raw NS with Neutral White I used to have has a much warmer tone than these latest pics shown, almost incan. If you compare your current pics to the one Lummi showed on site, you'll see what I mean.

MKLight

Enlightened
Now it looks like Standard Cool White, I'm ignoring the light on the left because that's not a good comparison with Nichia, IMO.

The Raw NS with Neutral White I used to have has a much warmer tone than these latest pics shown, almost incan. If you compare your current pics to the one Lummi showed on site, you'll see what I mean.

+1. The Standard Cool White is white. There isn't much of any color in it when compared to other cool white emitters (blue, yellow, green, pink). It's pretty much just white. The Neutral White is yellow-ish (incandescent) in color compared to the Standard White. FWIW, it looks like Rob changed it.

Good luck,
Mike

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your quick replies. Zeruel, I can see what you mean when comparing the Cool white & the Neutral white beams.

The problem is that I tend to compare my new torches to my old LED Lenser P7 or the H7, both with CREE XR-E LEDS. And what I cannot quite understand is why all these flashlights with the same CREE XR-E LED (Raw NS vs LED Lenser H7) can produce different colour beams. Anyone who has both a Raw/Wee and a LED Lenser P7/H7 would see immediately what I mean. The LED Lenser has a clear & pure cold white beam whereas the Raw NS has a noticable yellowish tint (not as much as a neutral white, I guess). This doesn't mean one is better than another, they are just different.

Anyway it's good to know that my Raw NS is fine, so thank you everybody for your help.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob told me he went with a warmer bin on the Standard White LEDs (AKA Cool White LEDs). He mentioned people seem to prefer a little warmer tint (not blue) and I have to agree 100%. I have an older R2 pill that had a much cooler tint than his latest batch of Standard white, which is definitely warmer (I really prefer them to the cooler tinted standard LEDs:twothumbs).

Cheers,
Steve

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Steve. I think that may explain why two different torches with the same LED can have different tints.

So it seems that, after all, there are cooler and warmer tints for the XR-E. I think both the tint from the Raw NS and the H7 are quite nice. :)

deusexaethera

Banned
My cool-white Wee NS is the yellowest light I have by far. The integrated reflector yellows the hotspot quite a bit.

Gravitron

Newly Enlightened
Mine also has a yellow tint. I ordered a cool white. This is my second RAW, the first one was perfect. I also have trouble getting my new light on high. Oh, still waiting for my battery for new lite. I am using the battery from my first RAW for my second.