Rayovac 1AA Sportsman Xtreme finally!

Magichunter

Newly Enlightened
What do you think would happen if I tried running this with a 14500 at 3.2 volts??? Has anyone tried this?????

GaryF

Enlightened
AFAIK nobody has tried. I would proceed cautiously, as the led and heat sink are sealed up in the plastic body without much of a heat escape path.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think would happen if I tried running this with a 14500 at 3.2 volts??? Has anyone tried this?????

If you've got $18 to burn (almost literally), give it a try. :devil:

Unless the driver circuit can hold back the current, I can't imagine that this lamp has enough ability to dump heat to survive.

If you do it, be sure to post some pics!

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up this light last night at Wally World on impulse. I have been looking for a AA LED headlamp to replace my Princeton Tec EOS since I recently got a AA-powered GPS and want to maintain battery commonality while hiking.

I put an Energizer lithium cell in it 'cuz that's all I use outdoors. In rough terms, it seems just as bright and throwy (w/o the diffuser) as the EOS on high. Build quality doesn't seem as good as the EOS but it does look like Ray-O-Vac made an effort. The main LED only has 1 output level but you can use the little LEDs as your "low beam". I concur that the little blue LED would be more universally useful if it was white.

The diffuser works quite well, the unit is lightweight and compact; I found myself thinking "why the H-E-double toothpicks can't Princeton Tec or Fenix do something like this?!".

Does anyone know if the main LED is regulated? I figured not due to 1) the low price and 2) no mention of regulation was made on the package. I will be very pleased if it proves to be regulated!

Also, do you think using lithiums will hurt this light?

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the main LED is regulated? I figured not due to 1) the low price and 2) no mention of regulation was made on the package. I will be very pleased if it proves to be regulated!

Also, do you think using lithiums will hurt this light?

Yes, the ROV is regulated... it will run at full brightness then *conk* just go out.

I've used L91 Lithiums in mine with no ill effects. At ~$19, no big loss if it does, either.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the ROV is regulated... it will run at full brightness then *conk* just go out.

I've used L91 Lithiums in mine with no ill effects. At ~$19, no big loss if it does, either.

I've had mine for a few weels now... I use it for reading in bed mostly. It works great for that although the 2 hour run-time is pretty short. For the past week (on a road trip to Oregon) I've been using eneloops and have been very pleased. It does 'conk out' rather abruptly but I've learned that the red and blue leds still work after the bright white one conks. That gives me more than enough light to stumble into the bathroom to change to a fresh eneloop. (When I go backpacking in the future I'll probably use L91s just because they're a few grams lighter.)

The longer I have this light the more I like it. In fact, I'll probably buy a couple of extras 'just in case'...

Last edited:

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened
I used the light frequently during a weekend backpacking trip. It worked quite well and I just got used to having to cycle through the light modes to turn it off. An EOS-style switch function would be great, of course, but it is not proving to be a dealbreaker for me.

Anyone know if the red & blue LEDs are regulated as well as the main Luxeon?

MorePower

Enlightened

It's not completely flat regulation, but it's pretty good. Here's a runtime I did using an alkaline cell. NiMH will generate a flatter curve.

rov3n1zg7.jpg

I used a Quickbeam-esque milk carton setup.

hopkins

Enlightened
While I was testing the runtime of my new Rayovac 1AA with a
Energizer 2500mah battery ( got 3 hrs on the 1watt Lux ) noticed the
warm spot next to the switch mentioned by others.

So I put the headlamp into a bowl and balanced an icecube on top of it to for cooling during the runtime test. I've read that LED life times are shortened if the heatsinking is'nt up to the task to dump heat overboard.

For a mod I was thinking about a simple way to heatsink the 1watt Lux.
Maybe a properly sized/bent strip of copper or aluminum could be inserted
thru a slit cut in the case. Heatsink paste of course for the contact area, then epoxy the slit closed to hold it in contact with the back of the 1watt Lux and to close any gaps to regain watertightness. Bent so it was conformal to the outside curves. Sure. Could be done I think.

tron1974

Newly Enlightened
Not to resurrect an old thread, but these are currently being clearanced out at the stores in my area. I would think this would be national.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up. I will check tomorrow. I really like these lights and wouldn't mind getting a few more.

GassHogg

Newly Enlightened
I was at wally world saturday and the flashlight section was curisouly empty. I asked the sporting goods associate what was going on. He said that wal-mart was doing a reset of their flashlights and they were doing away with the RayOVac Sportsman Xtreme line and also the LED M@glites.
They had them discounted. I picked up a 3D M@glite and a 3 watt sportsman xtreme. You might want to check out your nearest walmart.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
I found some at a Mobile, AL wal-mart for $9.00 on clearance. I couldn't pass it up since our family is going camping in a few weeks and I don't have a headlamp.