Rayovac Indestructable?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just happened to be browsing the Home Depot site the other day and I stumbled across these Rayovac lights. The 3C caught my eye because that seemed somewhat unusual. I'd been thinking about another C cell light, partly because those batteries were the last to go (of the common types) after the last big power outage. Also I just happen to have a strange preference for C cell lights.

The 3C light is darn impressive for just 24 bucks. About what you'd pay for the full-size MagLEDs, which are only one mode. The rubber armor on the head and tailcap is a good idea for durability, and also is very grippy. The batteries fit pretty well without much rattle. The tailswitch will be a bit difficult to use one-handed unless you've got big hands. The interface is a bit different than what I was expecting. It's a reverse switch: First click, high mode. You can do a soft-press to blink the light on and off, but this won't change the mode. You have to completely press in the switch until it clicks, then it will go to low mode. Again you can soft-press in low mode to blink the light without changing mode. The next full click is off. (how does it know the difference between blinking off with a soft press vs. a full click??)

All in all a pretty killer deal for a battery format that's not all that common, and with two modes to boot. Just be sure to search the individual samples on the shelf carefully, because quality control isn't going to be top notch at this price point. I almost walked out with one light but at the last minute I noticed a section of the reflector surface was chipping/peeling up. Some of the LEDs are more centered than others, but the packaging makes it pretty easy to see.

Speaking of the LED, can anyone identify this one? It's really small, I think even smaller than an XP-E.

dsc01926rw.jpg

Overall the light is not as gigantic as I thought it'd be....

dsc01928y.jpg

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Has anyone posted any beam shots of the 4C lantern?

Has anyone modded the 4C lantern? I'm thinking that if it is only putting out 150 lumens, and really reaches out to 350 yards, it'd be a crazy thrower if the led was pushed a little bit.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I bought a couple of malkoff led converters for incan maglites a while back & don't have any mags anymore- get one for the conversions, or one of these rayovacs out of the box a better option by now? Not much difference in price.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hey I bought a couple of malkoff led converters for incan maglites a while back & don't have any mags anymore- get one for the conversions, or one of these rayovacs out of the box a better option by now? Not much difference in price.
I bought 4 Thrunites, a Fenix, 2 LED Mags, and a number of other lights. I'm thinking that the 4C lantern is cool looking and wondering if it is worth picking up, despite the fact that I am hoping for a power failure so I can lend some lights out. (That's about the only way that I can justify all the lights that I have.)

I'm also wondering if changing the driver and or emitter would make a significant difference.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
The reason why im asking is i use the light at work and its a pain to put it back to a pocket because of the rubber braking it. And also i would like to know what it looks like stripped and would the lense stay in its place.

Sent from a mobile telephone

AaronG

Enlightened
I've been eyeing these up too. Does anyone know if they are current controlled or PWM? If PWM any idea on frequency? Low frequency is a deal breaker for any light :( I'm thinking the 4C lantern for my Dad as a work bench light. If the spot is too tight I'd either polish the lens with 0000 steel wool or add diffuser film

Swede74

Enlightened
Does anyone know if they are current controlled or PWM? If PWM any idea on frequency? Low frequency is a deal breaker for any light :(

A mobile phone camera test shows no signs of PWM on my 3*AAA Rayovac (Varta) indestructible neither in high, nor in low mode.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The headlamp is very definitely PWM, on low and all modes on low battery. The 2xAA flashlight may have slight PWM on low, I can't quite tell.

AaronG

Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. When you shake it in the dark does it seem smooth? Or watching a fan? I've had a couple PWM lights and it really bugs me.
Sounds like the headlamp is out. I'm mostly interested in the 4C lantern. The 2AA might be a good gift light

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up the 2AA model for my 3year old son as his first light. Great light, I like the rubber armor, the clickie button, 2 stages. Very well made. We'll see how it holds up. He's like me, so I know it will get a workout.

I didn't detect any obvious PWM strobing on low. It seems pretty consistent. The beam, at least in our example, seems a tiny bit unfocused, the spot isn't as clean as it could be. I'm thinking of putting on a circle of Vihn's diffusion film I got on the marketplace to get a nice usable beam for him.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm thinking of putting on a circle of Vihn's diffusion film I got on the marketplace to get a nice usable beam for him.

Do it! I stuck some diffuser film on mine a few weeks ago. I never really use it and just keep it in the garage, but it sure is nice making it floody. The beam was just to darn tight on this light.

Flanagan

Newly Enlightened
Would I be correct in assuming that if I use the tailcap (twisting it) on the AA light to turn it on and off I will be prolonging the life of the switch?

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
For the price the Indestructible line is a great value. I have 3 of the 2AA's kicking around the house as "users", - indoor, outdoor, garage, etc. I also bought the headlamp and too found it a great value and well made for the $13 price tag. Purchased it because I wanted a hard-use headlamp that was a thrower, but the diffusion film does make it really nice (I use dc-fix). A while ago wanted to try my hand at removing the black coating from lights, and here was the result. This one I also put an xml single-mode solarforce dropin into it and it's a pretty nice light. It lives in the kitchen drawer for around the house and especially kid use. :thumbsup:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother brought home a 2D from Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. I didn't really pay much attention to it. I was too concerned with fixing the lantern that didn't work> Which I think was Energizer brand..

Anyway about the Rayovac light. Pretty much what others have said. It's really bright for something running off on 3v. nice really HID-tint beam, tight hotspot. I'm really impressed with how bright it is. It is heavy though as others have mentioned but is feels extremely sturdy. I'm going to have to pick one up for myself as a beater/emergency light. And only $25 with 2 batteries.

Retinator

Enlightened
I just got a 3AAA handheld as a tip just over a week back............
I'm impressed, never thought i'd go back to the 3aaa setup.

A tad heavy in hand, but feels very solid.

Mine is silkscreened with a company name/logo of Franklin Empire....website www.feinc.com
Was likely a batch of xmas gifts for employees.

For the price, it's a nice light........
Not much else to add except anyone see the Camo version yet? Brown rubber ends with Realtree camo on body for about $ 10 more.....Would love to get one for myself

Treeguy

Enlightened
I'm a total fanboy of the Rayovac Indestructible flashlights. Mind you, I only have two of the 2xAA models, but I'm inclined to think it's just about the perfect flashlight. Small, inexpensive, ultra solid, standard batteries, and puts out enough light for just about anything you need to do. I lent one to a buddy to take on a fishing trip and he was so impressed that a flashlight that good was only $17 he bought for himself. Would love to see Rayovac offer a second 2xAA model with higher lumens on the high setting. A 20/200 lumen model of the 2xAA would be a real winner.

I'm going to grab the 3xC model. Love the 45 Lumens/85 hour low-setting runtime. Stick the thing in a drawer with an extra set of batteries and you have weeks and weeks of good light on hand in a solid package for about $30, batteries included. You just can't beat that.