RCR123 that doesn't suck?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good morning

Last night I had to make a field-expedient repair on my car and the cell that was in my RRT01 was stone dead. The thing was I just charged it last week as I had a job site visit Tuesday morning but did not use the flashlight. Fortunately I had two old AW cells in a holder in my laptop bag.

the AWs are literally the only ones that have not let me down. Everything else has only lasted a few uses and then gone very low capacity or self discharged rapidly.

Where can I buy more AW quality RCR123s today?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
TBH, no good answer - I think I only keep one light around now using RCR123, and it's only a backup. I'm using Keeppower, and it seems OK; it's in a Sunwayman V11R so it has a real power switch, and a Nichia mod.

For me, the 123 cell was nice 20 years ago, when it seemed like a miracle to get that current out of a small package, but today it just seems like it just does not have the capacity I'd like, and I want to stick to single cells. Even an AA Eneloop gives me plenty of quick light with a modern LED, for pocket carry, with 2000mAh vs. 800mAh for an RCR123, with more safety and easy to get emergency cell (alkaline AA). An 18650 light would be my working light.

I may start using the V11R extender tube for AA or 14500.

Hope you don't have a parasitic drain problem crop up.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
TBH, no good answer - I think I only keep one light around now using RCR123, and it's only a backup. I'm using Keeppower, and it seems OK; it's in a Sunwayman V11R so it has a real power switch, and a Nichia mod.

For me, the 123 cell was nice 20 years ago, when it seemed like a miracle to get that current out of a small package, but today it just seems like it just does not have the capacity I'd like, and I want to stick to single cells. Even an AA Eneloop gives me plenty of quick light with a modern LED, for pocket carry, with 2000mAh vs. 800mAh for an RCR123, with more safety and easy to get emergency cell (alkaline AA). An 18650 light would be my working light.

I may start using the V11R extender tube for AA or 14500.

Hope you don't have a parasitic drain problem crop up.

I don't think so, it's the newer version RRT01 with the tailcap switch. Oddly if I could have bought another V11R, I would have - IMHO that's the perfect EDC light. Well, except for the fact that I only have two 10 year old cells that I trust.

Problem is, I'm invested in this form factor, and do carry both the AWs and a Surefire primary as a backup in my laptop bag, because I absolutely, positively cannot have unexpected failures (as I discovered in a very long, very dark utility tunnel one day when an Olight cell decided to poop the bed on me...) when I am in a situation like the tunnel I have a 4 cell carrier in my back pocket so if the light goes dark I can replace the cell by feel.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had good experiences with the Orbtronic company, though I haven't bought any batteries that size from them (bought 18650 and 16650).

Here's the link to their page for RCR123 / 16340 cells

They are in Florida and usually ship pretty fast, and you can use the Amazon Pay or Apple Pay option.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
An 18350 would fit.
ex: https://illumn.com/batteries-charge...pcell-inr18350-f14-1400mah-3a-button-top.html

I have that exact light, run it w/ a 18500 (using just one of the extensions)

I realized that when I got to look at it in the daylight. The cells that have failed me so far have been an Olight 16350 and a Jetbeam USB-chargeable 18350 which is what was in the light Saturday night. I can only assume that I thought that the 18350 would give me more runtime...

Right now the AW RCR123 is getting it done though.

I'll check out the Orbtronics mentioned above.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mission critical stuff is not for rechargeable batteries. AW quality cells are not around that much any more. I look at certain brands like Sanyo and Panasonic, but I discriminate in my choices. I did buy some Powertac cells many months ago that looked pretty good, but I haven't even taken them out of the package yet, so I have no experience with them. The AW IMR's were my favorite rechargeble 123A's and I have a lot of 10+ year old AW cells of different sizes that still work just fine. And were made to the proper specs.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realized that when I got to look at it in the daylight. The cells that have failed me so far have been an Olight 16350 and a Jetbeam USB-chargeable 18350 which is what was in the light Saturday night. I can only assume that I thought that the 18350 would give me more runtime...

Right now the AW RCR123 is getting it done though.

I'll check out the Orbtronics mentioned above.
+

Sometime that light can get fussy and not turn On,, may have something to do with the magnetic rotary output.
It's not the battery
Unscrew the head & reassemble, an inconvenience but sometimes necessary.

Still one of my favorite lights of all time

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Sometime that light can get fussy and not turn On,, may have something to do with the magnetic rotary output.
It's not the battery

That's a good point about troubleshooting the light itself also. I've been bitten before by assuming the battery is the problem. Always a good idea to check both.

Not long ago, I ran into this with my Fenix PD31. It got flaky and didn't want to run on turbo mode. I assumed the older battery I was using just couldn't put out enough current. Tried a newer battery and got the same result.

Eventually I thought to check the tightness of the tailcap retaining ring. DOH! It was super loose. Tightened it back up, and the "bad" battery worked just fine!

What really annoyed me was that I knew this was an issue with this light, but for some reason it just slipped my mind!

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

It's not the battery

Well, I haven't tried to charge the "bad" cell yet so I can certainly try that tonight.

Obviously I unscrewed the head to change it...

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
950 mah Protected. Size looks good...

Nitecore.jpg

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a 16340 3.7 volt cell and not a 3.2v RCR123, for starters.

All of them are Chinese in manufacture.

You're on your own when it comes to quality and the 'flashlight brands,' change on a whim.

We're no longer in the AW world, so just try what you can find and report back.

Chris

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good morning

Last night I had to make a field-expedient repair on my car and the cell that was in my RRT01 was stone dead. The thing was I just charged it last week as I had a job site visit Tuesday morning but did not use the flashlight. Fortunately I had two old AW cells in a holder in my laptop bag.

the AWs are literally the only ones that have not let me down. Everything else has only lasted a few uses and then gone very low capacity or self discharged rapidly.

Just to clarify: When you say 'RCR123', are you referring to a 3.2V LFP123 (LiFePO4 16340), or a 3.7V 16340?

Flynn's Arcade

Newly Enlightened
Good morning

In my JB TC-R1 and 2012 RRT-01 I've been using Vapcell 16340 & 18350. They have done well and both are holding spec after load testing after 15 months of use.

Excellent site ,with cell comparator, from a CPF member.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify: When you say 'RCR123', are you referring to a 3.2V LFP123 (LiFePO4 16340), or a 3.7V 16340?

3.7V. The last cell that died I find was actually a 18350; I only have one light that can't take a 3.7V cell.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a follow up, the Jetbeam branded 18350 was dead as a doornail by my trusty Fluke meter, so it self discharged at least enough to trip the protection.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a follow up, the Jetbeam branded 18350 was dead as a doornail by my trusty Fluke meter, so it self discharged at least enough to trip the protection.
Did this overdischarge occur while the cell was sitting in your light (unused), or with the cell sitting outside the light by itself doing nothing? If the former, then obviously one would have to test the latter to confirm whether it occurred due to 'self discharge', or 'standby drain caused by the light. I may have missed something, but haven't determined that from what I've read, and that is the critical info required to understand the problem(s) you're experiencing and the root cause thereof.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did this overdischarge occur while the cell was sitting in your light (unused), or with the cell sitting outside the light by itself doing nothing? If the former, then obviously one would have to test the latter to confirm whether it occurred due to 'self discharge', or 'standby drain caused by the light. I may have missed something, but haven't determined that from what I've read, and that is the critical info required to understand the problem(s) you're experiencing and the root cause thereof.

In the light unused, but the light is a new version RRT-01 with the tailcap switch, so there should be zero parasitic drain when off. Happened over only about a week as well.