REBELLiON Is Born (a.k.a. M963-KL2)

Brozneo

Enlightened
BassMan, looks like 19x Rebel emitters in McR10-R reflectors ought to fit in a KT4 turbohead (the head on the SureFire M6, M4, and M3T). Three would be very minor overlay of the bezel ring at the extreme outer edge but I don't anticipate that to impact output to any significant degree.

Here's a quick-n-dirty mockup using reflectors only...

img-kt4-19x-mcr10-r-rebel-mockup-trans.gif

I won't even begin to estimate a runtime since many configurations are possible. I will say these would require a particularly sturdy power source, and I have some ideas on what would work.

In theory, such an arrangement could reach 4370 lumens with the emitters operating in spec.

Batter up? :whistle:

That is stunning Scott! Would the various drivers all fit in the head as well? Someone please get this build and get it at full 4370 spec! :naughty:

jcompton

Enlightened
That is stunning Scott! Would the various drivers all fit in the head as well? Someone please get this build and get it at full 4370 spec! :naughty:

I'd go for one if someone would like to start a fund to aid in reducing the brunt of the cost, then have some sort of a pass-a-round for the contributors...:naughty:...:shrug:...:broke:...

BassMan

Newly Enlightened
Hey Scott: I'm sending an email to discuss the 2 surefires....

Thanks
BassMan

RCatR

Enlightened
To protect the innocent I can't release any names; and because it was so late I rushed it out without the chance of proper photos. I've PM'd the owner and suggested posting nice photos but here we go.....
2.2KLumens; 5 custom rebel .3" flood reflectors; 5 minimagLED reflectors; Mcr17 trimmed; 2 sharks; 1 downboy; glowpoxy; and around 25 hours of labor. Will run on either primaries or 3x17670(custom cage). You can feel warmth on your hand in front of it; and it's brighter than my '93 ranger's headlights.

Sorry to hijack, but I had to let it out!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCatR, that's a nice light, but why post it here? Seems with all the work you put into it, that one deserves its own thread where you can tell the whole story.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky , if you wanted a bit more throw in the mix could an MCR27 or 20 fit in the centre with orbiting MCR10's? That would be awesome and I would definately start saving!

Hodsta, sure, that's a possibility. A narrow angle optic or three might do even better. There are two issues to overcome here regardless of the specific mix of reflectors/optics...

1. The varying heights of the reflectors would necessitate various tiers and/or pedestals on the heatsinking surface. This complicates fabrication tremendously. It can be done! But costs would go up significantly to get it right.

2. There's always a conflict between bringing additional lumens to bear and using larger, tighter focusing reflectors. The large reflectors do throw a lot farther, but will reduce the overall emitter count so much that the loss in overall output might cancel virtually all the gain from the reflector. There's a delicate balancing act that needs to take place here to find the sweet spot. :sweat: Then one ends up going down a slippery slope: if there are larger reflectors, why use the Rebel in them... why not use a good Seoul SSC or Cree emitter? There's no advantage to the Rebel in a large reflector. That in turn brings us closer and closer to the non-Rebel Project-M builds that I've been doing for quite a while, which if I dare say so are quite nice! Plus supported by a more mature, proven architecture at this point. So is it still a Rebel build, or not?

There's not necessarily a definitive right answer to the above, it's more a judgment call. So in answer to your question overall, I'd say large reflectors tossed into the mix COULD help but there's no guarantee that they actually WOULD help.

Hope this helps at least a little.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, one example from Project-M builds... the X1400, a 7-emitter build using 16mm reflectors for 1400 lumens overall output, gets outthrown by an X800, a 4-emitter build using 20mm reflectors... but only just barely. In practice the throw of these two is pretty close.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Milky I get ya, and am happy to exclaim my ignorance on such matters so thanks for the advice.

I particularly fond of the M876 Skalomonster which I managed to pry out Skals hands and therefore it would take something quite different to justify another monster.

Thanks Skal & Milky - a dynamic duo:grin2:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
BassMan, looks like 19x Rebel emitters in McR10-R reflectors ought to fit in a KT4 turbohead (the head on the SureFire M6, M4, and M3T). Three would be very minor overlay of the bezel ring at the extreme outer edge but I don't anticipate that to impact output to any significant degree.

Here's a quick-n-dirty mockup using reflectors only...

img-kt4-19x-mcr10-r-rebel-mockup-trans.gif

I won't even begin to estimate a runtime since many configurations are possible. I will say these would require a particularly sturdy power source, and I have some ideas on what would work.

One of these, perhaps:
HE-602050.JPG

Li-Ion Cylindral Cell: 3.7V 60 Ah (60232) 120A Discharging Rate - The Bigest Li-Ion Cell in the world - Made in Germany
Though you'd need to make a custom body to fit it.

BassMan

Newly Enlightened
Hey Scott:

Just wanted to confirm you got my last email sent a few days ago....
to confirm the paypal amount with shipping for the surefire u2 upgrade and swap phone #s to chat about the M6 project...

thanks
Grant

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Scott:

Just wanted to confirm you got my last email sent a few days ago....
to confirm the paypal amount with shipping for the surefire u2 upgrade and swap phone #s to chat about the M6 project...

thanks
Grant

Grant, got it. Will reply soon.

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
Hodsta, sure, that's a possibility. A narrow angle optic or three might do even better. There are two issues to overcome here regardless of the specific mix of reflectors/optics...

1. The varying heights of the reflectors would necessitate various tiers and/or pedestals on the heatsinking surface. This complicates fabrication tremendously. It can be done! But costs would go up significantly to get it right.

2. There's always a conflict between bringing additional lumens to bear and using larger, tighter focusing reflectors. The large reflectors do throw a lot farther, but will reduce the overall emitter count so much that the loss in overall output might cancel virtually all the gain from the reflector. There's a delicate balancing act that needs to take place here to find the sweet spot. :sweat: Then one ends up going down a slippery slope: if there are larger reflectors, why use the Rebel in them... why not use a good Seoul SSC or Cree emitter? There's no advantage to the Rebel in a large reflector. That in turn brings us closer and closer to the non-Rebel Project-M builds that I've been doing for quite a while, which if I dare say so are quite nice! Plus supported by a more mature, proven architecture at this point. So is it still a Rebel build, or not?

There's not necessarily a definitive right answer to the above, it's more a judgment call. So in answer to your question overall, I'd say large reflectors tossed into the mix COULD help but there's no guarantee that they actually WOULD help.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Looks like my next build - I'll take it! :), 6 rebel reflectors in perimeter, with a 27 seoul reflector in middle.
only 7 leds - seems resonable....

how much :)

Mash

Enlightened
Great work as always! Cant wait till I am rady for my very own Milky!

Regarding the 19 emitter head, funny how the world works! We seem to have turned full circle, and pretty soon we will be doing the "chinese shower head" type lights, but with rebels!