Recomandation For A Very Bright And Throwey LED

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a throwy led light but there is so many candidates its hard. I am mainly leaning towards the Sunwayman T20CS.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I'm flexible, tell me what you got.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens) But Also Be Able To Switch To A Low Mode.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want 3 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Medium/Average runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman T20cs will do nicely, so would the Eagletac T20c2 XML, the Thrunite TN11, Surefire Fury
The Streamlight SupertacX with only 200 lumens would out throw all of these due to a smaller die size of the XPE or xre. Useable spill and often found available locally. Atleast around here it is ;)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight DBS with the Nightmaster head should be very throwy. I don't recall the modes that it has but you should be able to change the pill for different.

Edit: Marketplace lights seems to be sold

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened
price?

so many to choose from. go on goinggear and do a search for 18650 lights..

eagletac g25c2
klarus xt11

or you can get 800 lumens from a 2x 18650 light.

rambo180

Enlightened
for 140 you can get almost any 18650. the TN11s is a similar size and output to the g25c2, they're about 100-120.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
What about the ArmyTek predator? I have been hearing plenty of great things when it comes to throw with those guys..

It has pretty good throw and is a very nice light, but I'm not sure that it would "illuminate an entire field" if the OP really wants this. Otherwise great.

Be advised though, that the Predator takes some serious reading/playing/programming to get the best from. Can't be beat for flexibility but I can imagine it being just simply too complex for some users. Depends on the OP's technical aptitude.
However, the Armytek Viking might also be a good choice.

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
I am leaning toward The Dereelight DBS-T with aspherical lens because I like the fact that I can put a normal head on and the switch to a aspherical depending on the situation.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am leaning toward The Dereelight DBS-T with aspherical lens because I like the fact that I can put a normal head on and the switch to a aspherical depending on the situation.

If you are thinking about the DBS-T XM-L, then it will work fine with the reflector. It won't be very good with the aspheric head.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
If you are thinking about the DBS-T XM-L, then it will work fine with the reflector. It won't be very good with the aspheric head.

You can order the aspheric (Nightmaster) head with XR-E EZ900 pill fitted for $59 direct from Dereelight. As well as better throw than the XM-L it would also save the trouble of swapping pills between the heads.
Just swap complete heads. Worth the little bit extra for the convenience.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
You can order the aspheric (Nightmaster) head with XR-E EZ900 pill fitted for $59 direct from Dereelight. As well as better throw than the XM-L it would also save the trouble of swapping pills between the heads.
Just swap complete heads. Worth the little bit extra for the convenience.
+1 Get the DBS-T with XM-L and an extra nightmaster head.

Id also check out the M3X and Thrunite TN31

alderson

Newly Enlightened
Be advised though, that the Predator takes some serious reading/playing/programming to get the best from. Can't be beat for flexibility but I can imagine it being just simply too complex for some users. Depends on the OP's technical aptitude.
However, the Armytek Viking might also be a good choice.

Hi! This is really a nice info here what you made. Thanks.

Latest posts