Recommend a 4D replacement

rj_uk

Newly Enlightened
I have an old 4D maglite that I use to walk the dogs with and feel it is just not up to the job any more and would like something new.

What I like about the 4D though is its durability, general weight and although its quite large it still fits the inside jacket pocket. Not really important but there is also the comfort of carrying a foot long metal bar.

What I dislike about it is the fact it is not much good beyond 25m and its hard to get a decent spot however much I twist and turn the lens.

Ive been tempted with this one;
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-0131.aspx ...but thought I would see what the members here thought first.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Anywhere.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Less than £50 (about $80)

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
replace my 4D (would consider smaller/larger)

5) Emitter/Light source:
___I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:
____ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
____I intend to use alkaline batteries (D)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____to be used for walking and spotting livestock in an 80 acre field.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____metal(any)

DaveG

Enlightened
I put a Fusion-36 led from ebay in my 4-d mag.Wall of light,no adjust,but I like it alot. Check out, Shower head light in budget light section.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
As pleased as I am with my 3 Fusion36's...the Op's comment "spotting livestock in an 80 acre field." sort of puts it out of the game.

It fits for everything else described...

While the $25 Fusion36 drop in makes for an awesome 4DMag floodlight, a thrower it ain't.

Perhaps the Op could use the Fusion36 to update his beloved 4DMag and get great use of it and then throw the other $55 in his budget to snag one of the current long throw pocket lights.

What's the current long throw champ in this price range?

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Regardless of which light you select for dog-walking, you will not be disappointed with the fusion 36 drop-in. At $25.00 US, and as easy to install as changing a light bulb, you will never look at you 4-D m@glite the same! Plus if you use four AA to D battery adapters, (About $1.00-$1.50 US each) you can use cheaper AA cells. You will be pleasantly suprized at how much lighter it is. The light output of this drop-in makes the stock m@g configuration look pathetic. About 30 bucks and you can breathe new life into an old friend. Don't retire it, revitalize it! Check out this thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277748&highlight=budget+showerhead

Last edited:

rj_uk

Newly Enlightened
I had thought about replacing the bulb in the 4D and this looks an interesting idea.... but I would still like a new one. I may do both as this Fusion36 looks like it would be ideal for when we walk in the forest or when walking with friends, plus it will keep the maglite alive.

As pleased as I am with my 3 Fusion36's...the Op's comment "spotting livestock in an 80 acre field." sort of puts it out of the game.

I generally dont use the torch when in the fields and rely on natural night vision, it is literally to spot them as I enter the fields so I know where not to take the dogs.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fusion 36 for flood, yes.

You want some throw though so I'll suggest the Malkoff drop-in for 3-6D cell maglite.

It is about as close as you'll get to making your maglite a searchlight without having to change battery format.

It will run for about 8 hours off 4 alkaline D's and then give you more light at a reduced output for many hours more.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
terralux 300ex. and you wont have to get new light, it will make yours a lot brighter
you can get one for $60

Last edited: