Recommend A Book, Part II

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Love that manual. Have both the standard length and compact cover version. The latter I bought at Borders as they were having a massive going out of business sale.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with the classics.
c3c501d1b86eeb47ddf54abf777ac86c.jpg

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Art Forger, B.A. Shapiro (2012).

The backdrop for this is a real Boston art theft in the 90s. I've always liked art / artist / painter movies (Lust for Life (1956), Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003), Portrait of Jennie (1948), Mr. Turner (2014), Museum Hours (2012), and of course Art and Craft (2014) and Tim's Vermeer (2013) - also looking forward to Mrs. Lowry and Son (2019)). This one ended up as my #3 book for the year to date.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thanks to CPF member Kitchen Panda,
I sought out, and obtained a used copy of the (no longer in print)
book " Landslide ! " by Veronique Day (circa 1966).

If *EVER* there was a story to convince people
to ALWAYS carry a flashlight in their pocket,
or in their knapsack, THIS is certainly it ! ! !

:huh:

Very interesting, captivating read.
Sadly, not available in electronic form.
:sigh:

Perhaps available in yer' local library.

Flashaholics will enjoy this one !

lovecpf

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2078253.Landslide_

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know this isn't a book review topic.
Simply a book recommendation one.
However, with respect; perhaps everyone could include just a few words as to why they're recommending a certain book. That would genuinely be appreciate.
Happy Holidays to everyone on CPF.

Empath

Flashaholic
Monocrom's recommendation is spot on.

It would be prudent for all participants in the thread to reread Star's opening post. He outlines the thread's purpose and some worthwhile suggestions on offering your recommendations.

1606Justin

Newly Enlightened
My all-time favorite is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and I also recommend The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. Both books are to read and re-read, in my opinion, at least.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been enjoying Bill Tilman's Seven Mountain-Travel Books lately. He describes his early climbs in Africa with Eric Shipton, and his epic 2500-mile bicycle trip across the African continent. His account of climbing Nanda Devi is a classic in the mountaineering literature. Tilman writes with an active voice and great attention to interesting detail. There is plenty of wry British wit mixed in, and even a little wisdom. Great travel adventures by a fine writer.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Due to current circumstances, the one book rule is now suspended until further notice:

You may recommend as many books as you like, however you must include a description for each book.

Lots of people are reading more than ever now, they'll be looking for recommendations so share the good stuff, be descriptive.

Strintguy

Enlightened
The Name of the Wind and its sequel, Wise Man's Fear. Very well crafted fantasy, draws you in from the very start

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nelson DeMille books are very entertaining, I'v read several.
..not at all a 'chore to read' type of writing, easy to read

recommended

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jack carr "terminal list"

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No hard feelings!

By John Lewis Barkley

This may be the finest First World War memoir I have read – if you liked Elton Mackin's Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die or Hervey Allen's Toward the Flame, you will love No hard feelings!.

John Lewis Barkley, chronicles his experience in world war one as a scout sniper serving in the 3rd​ Division, including his use of a captured German machine gun that he fired from a knocked out French tank, driving back a German advance, for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

You can read it here:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.32000009944960&view=1up&seq=1

BTW you can read Toward the Flame here:

[url]https://archive.org/details/towardflamewardi00herv/mode/2up[/URL]

jkqubrrppmwyuslhck

Newly Enlightened
Talisman - Stephen King

Especially now. It's an escapism story and is classic King. It's wild, far-fetched, and one of the more enjoyable reads I've had in a while. I'd say it's a story akin to Alice in Wonderland, and it explores some dark themes - particularly familial neglect.