Recommend a car light for a noob?

Cksnffr

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. Noob here, although I'm not new to gear-obsessing when it comes to lenses and firearms. So I know it's all one big rabbit hole. :)

I'm looking for a flashlight to keep in my car next to (but not attached to) my off-body pistol. Since it will be in the car, not in my pocket or on my belt, I don't mind it being large, not unlike the Streamlight monster I had many years ago. I would like it to be USB-rechargeable so it's always ready to go. So here's what I'm looking for:

• USB rechargeable (preferably micro USB in, as opposed to something proprietary, but I'm flexible)
  • Reliable
  • Size of an old-school duty flashlight
  • Under $100 (the lower the better)

Here's what I'm willing to sacrifice:

• Waterproofness
  • Suitability for weapon mounting
  • Light weight

For context, I've been looking at a few candidates: Nitecore MH25GT, Jetbeam SF-R28, and now, after some searching here, a Convoy. The Nitecore and Jetbeam are smaller than I was planning, but they seem better built than the larger ones (like the Jetbeam BC40), which also don't seem to have a USB charge point.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Treeguy

Enlightened
My car light is a Rayovac Indestructable 2xAA with Energizer Lithiums in it.

Simple, rugged, inexpensive, and good to -40.

Like me. :cool:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will you be using your car light frequently? If it's something you store in the car, but use several times a week, I definitely understand wanting a convenient to recharge light. If, like me on the other hand, your car light is something you keep in the car just for unexpected needs like changing tires or digging through the glovebox, that might get used briefly once or twice a month, would a light that uses primary (eg: AA or CR123) batteries be a better choice?

Do you need/want the high levels of output the 18650 lights provide (for example, do you have a 100-200 lumen light you know is not bright enough)? Or alternatively, since you mention an old Streamlight, are you mainly thinking about having a light that is large enough to easily hold firmly and can easily be found in the dark?

I tend to think of a car light as an occasional use, moderate power light, where the main criteria is it must be reliable, like a Fenix E12 with lithium primaries in it, but I don't want to say go that route if you've got more demanding use planned.

Nitecore is a decent mid-priced brand. So are Eagletac, Fenix, and Thrunite. You'll find several similar offerings from each. I'm less familiar with Jetbeam or Convoy, but haven't heard much bad about them.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is not the direction you were looking, but if you are only going to be using this light occasionally, look at the Nitecore LR30 Lantern. It runs on either a single 18650 or two CR123 cells. It has a magnetic base as well as a hanging hook. It also has a red LED that can be cycled between On/SOS/flashing. At $35 MSRP it looks like an ideal light to keep in your car for when a light is needed.

If you are planning on steady use, the Nitecore EA45S also comes to mind. It uses four AA cells in a 2x2 arrangement. It itself is not rechargeable, but a Nitecore I4 or D4 charger is modestly priced and would be usable in your car. The combination should put you right near your $100 limit. You could also use lithium primaries and pass on the charger.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I also keep a Rayovac 2AA indestructible in my car.

U50Oi02D_O6YTBZunt8ANjE928yXYSUj4Pk1_rSPYnOpOMUHxRpERktHVY8A_sl9TRjoWgfz7Upr5blm-J0cRwfLk6McQDZTkqmiIYV9FKMubxZQmuewJ3857nV9c3RpPUTlwCDvsvIgQ7yvrG9kC6aAB6oNSJ3jolfcHdW6g7bjRq8oDys8_6ZKLVe63E2wD-djC1dMevftdeq1mi2XDRTQUonIv7pDOBLqWEmUyj6DN06YJ0AY3dNID8J2feEsYIhhwl2ymZ02TTLXRDsKq4XDwfLx8N61e4ghGgyhMing2lRIY2G3Aon_XAhrwxal7wh5rx2U2XsJD7oQDIITdOy6Vj61BDUa6H1i1DIEPZIlAuksaAz0bOl2azahE1CAHXCOsMk05kkIg0UhQDHv27ZxdqHA8On2iUwQfj9q1DZKVkopTC_5kLVqOq74OaHbMhs5-urxCkcfV7_46LwzHdBCneP3_cP7V3T30MGlYLub2o3hnBtQITsjk7JfQMd71KaIMBgMovQWzn6G1pAOt8x2cC33BTuH_bnUSVa8-c6HWZWq63zoXYFcn2eMyn5QQ5q8xKeWLdfn6nElIJveR79jI_00ppoJDqGLxxltEXiha3-YQW53vTV73sUUOcXXNM9DQhPhR9E0WAsdPEOxWsEZW6XLbC1BdtzQPJdsVQ=w1369-h770-no

97Bb12tz15wQ1s2FZQ8LarfzNtv1AzELW1RrBDu-H7wk9b8J2wbsbIJI_4HyVuHRCW5Pc5PFw8Q0_kd6MHi15N2ucVnqa0lLZdG4RZTmKV3VIZrvy7_2ijXVIPegXgtyugyfeKIy9yuwnUXsa_E5t1Ju4OX3abG_Y2wf31HyhE1gsf64EPzbjV7RuPRZM-9CReBrtgiUFgwx8v0ARcOZKEUmJKhXqMwZ1WPeaF_bYC5yVdeSElX0a1eZvzjG6-00ZZ-J_QbbluaGkuj1_XO9_88GFPaaixTq4SUXTTMhOgHiOjY-hkUAhZCnwPEaM3snxoYma-4Evf6kR3bQInIRk9uizsMX2v_k29A0vUi6KC_vsY2Nm9yAl-rEVzREB5om5k8jlr_f5tZ07erdvUtLwkl-rn-Ri4gwbDBndryOcio7UCwIjaKtN20bQ_2rWJrOiEnjyWzFXYQEn6F539nwyMS2YgM6xk2XCeUxZqBt0-ODf3w0VdJIFwGKugx2gePUK2Vnt7XPpYLFYLfFCdp5cFZmBozbJ4qYur_Is2Laguu_IyECEWOgOuVmdOTF7RKz2iVsU2jDRiMmGFnGrfshZvuxETZzFAyCxnhGEwh1xeWmvuVmRrfGR8kv97GtmBd-2ZerCEGw0YOcgFAuVCt4PlHu4v8tJTV51CIOhyjjWA=w434-h770-no

But depending upon your needs, I might suggest a Manker U21

It is big, but not too big compared to a 2D maglight, (it is a little smaller) but has a 700 meter throw. Certainly it will only be effective (to actually be able to SEE something) at about one third that range, but it is still impressive.

ven

Flashaholic
Will throw in the olight r50 or r50 pro, USB , comes with 26650 cell(more mah in the tank= more run time). These 26650 form make for a nice in hand feel, little more chunky round the body over the slim 18650 and feel more natural in hand(subjective). The USB port cover is pretty decent to, compared to many other flimsy after thoughts............

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a $2 SK68 clone from eBay (search there for "AA zoom Cree" to find them) and use Energizer lithium primary (silver and blue) cells, which will work in cold conditions and won't leak like alkalines.

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
Latest generation (650 lumen) Magcharger if you can find it at a good price.

mbw_151

Enlightened
If the light is just riding in the car for use "sometime", I a recommend the Surefire GX2 Pro. It isn't rechargeable, but for non-routine use primary cells don't self discharge as quickly as most rechargeable cells. This light has very usable low output of 15 lumens, a high of 300 lumens, is highly reliable, has a plastic body which is more comfortable in the cold and has a lock out tail cap so it won't inadvertently turn on. If your intent is to use this in conjunction with the off body firearm, you might want the GX2 Tactical which is a single 300 lumen output. You can find these for $50-55. I've had these in 2 cars and a truck since they first came on the market, they have never failed to work. At one time or another I've needed them all.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I carry two lights in my auto. The first is a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61LLW drop in. With CR123 primaries it will run for 10 hours. 75 lumens is more than enough for most of my needs. The second is a Might-D-Light folding work light. This is my hands free work light and rated at 200 lms. It has a bungee cord and magnets to secure it. I keep AA lithium in it. In addition to those I keep two road flares.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Recently picked up several of the Rayovac Indestructible flashlights (AA & 2 AAA) after reading this thread. They are very nice lights, and have assumed car duty in mine, my sons, and my wife's vehicles).