Recommend a Method/Product to OVER illuminate Under a 10x10 Easy-Up 8 hours @ a Time

MattCMaddox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks dss 777 for reading between my poorly written lines! I think what I need is in the 900-1200 lumen range. Thank you everyone for your replies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-WHITE...ash=item1c50a7d6dd:g:FfwAAOSw7NNUElB0&vxp=mtr
This looks promising, it says it's 1200 lumens, LED, it's 160 degree directional, but if I were to hang it from the top-down, and have it plugged into a car battery, this seems like it might be just what I'm looking for. (maybe use something to diffuse the light?)

Last edited:

MattCMaddox

Newly Enlightened
Matt,
I don't know which one you are looking at.
That core lantern looks nearly exactly the same as the 300 lumen Ozark Trail lantern sold by walmart that I reviewed here.

Sorry, I type fast and apparently my Ctrl+v didn't paste the link....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-WHITE...ash=item1c50a7d6dd:g:FfwAAOSw7NNUElB0&vxp=mtr
A friend looked it up and said they found poor reviews, but I was not able to find reviews on this item, but the idea of a super bright LED (12V) is appealing .

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey that looks neat, point it up at your white tent ceiling and you'll be in good shape.
One thing though, it's made to run underwater, so you're going to need some good heat sinking to run it in air... or maybe wire it into the bottom of a five gallon bucket, point up, apply silicon caulk, fill with water...
When the water gets warm, scoop some out and add some ice.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well considering that I actually have done this frequently and have experience with what works and does not work,no I do not think I have over thought this?

Maybe the O.P. can tell us exactly what this is for?

If you have a bright point source of light and it is a Lantern I think you might see people blinded by the light more than not.
Propane or liquide fueled lanterns are way too glaring bright,run pretty hot,are loud and while cheapish to run might not really work here?

I have found the best way to do this is to bounce light off the tent surface but that sort of requires an actual EZ Up Brand canopy that is a thick white reflective material.

When using the cheaper and more readily available Walmart clone for example the bounce is much less effective,standard lighting issues for film and video apply here completely which is why this application works for me when I use lighting designed for this use too.

Otherwise it makes some sense to distribute smaller less bright sources to avoid harsh glare in peoples eyes and honestly Rope Light also works well for this method but again to get it done well and with decent coverage it is just going to cost more than the O.P. wants to spend.

This is not as simple/cheap as he wants so the more complete picture of the requirements and purpose can only help us help him.

Geez, can you guys over-think things or what? :nana:

This is what lanterns were invented for. Try the Lanterns subforum here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?90-Lanterns

Or google "CORE 500 Lumen CREE LED Battery Lantern" for a simple example that costs $20 delivered from Amazon. 19 hours run-time on high. Buy four, and bunch of D-cells. Done.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Well considering that I actually have done this frequently and have experience with what works and does not work,no I do not think I have over thought this?

Maybe the O.P. can tell us exactly what this is for?

If you have a bright point source of light and it is a Lantern I think you might see people blinded by the light more than not.
Propane or liquide fueled lanterns are way too glaring bright,run pretty hot,are loud and while cheapish to run might not really work here?

I have found the best way to do this is to bounce light off the tent surface but that sort of requires an actual EZ Up Brand canopy that is a thick white reflective material.

When using the cheaper and more readily available Walmart clone for example the bounce is much less effective,standard lighting issues for film and video apply here completely which is why this application works for me when I use lighting designed for this use too.

Otherwise it makes some sense to distribute smaller less bright sources to avoid harsh glare in peoples eyes and honestly Rope Light also works well for this method but again to get it done well and with decent coverage it is just going to cost more than the O.P. wants to spend.

This is not as simple/cheap as he wants so the more complete picture of the requirements and purpose can only help us help him.
I agree with everything that AVService said.

I hadn't considered the fact that propane lanterns are noisy, idk, that may or may not be a problem.
What's the scenario?
I was thinking that a 4 foot florescent 110V shop light might work well, but then you would need electricity. Will there be a number of tents nearby, like in a carnival setting? Maybe a few adjacent tents and share the rental cost of a small Honda inverter generator. They are very quiet. Even that will put you over budget.

MattCMaddox

Newly Enlightened
The setting will be a lively bar with people standing, coming and going. The point of the light is more to keep the area visible and people in an awake mood, and for the area to be seen as a place to congregate from a distance. Sadly, a generator is off the list of options.

So what about a pricy superbright LED flashlight/similar source with a homemade diffuser? This doesn't have to look good

This looks promising. 1000 lumen, 4xD size, 5 hour runtime (on high), price around $60, battery replacement cost is low for project
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KR1578M/?tag=cpf0b6-20
I might go with this unless some one knows of a newer model or a higher quality product/solution.

Thanks again everyone for sticking with my learning process, all these different perspectives have been helpful!

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
This looks promising. 1000 lumen, 4xD size, 5 hour runtime (on high), price around $60, battery replacement cost is low for project
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KR1578M/?tag=cpf0b6-20
I might go with this unless some one knows of a newer model or a higher quality product/solution.

Thanks again everyone for sticking with my learning process, all these different perspectives have been helpful!
So now you are up to about $100
$70 with shipping and $32 for 4*8 D batteries.

EXO1000

Newly Enlightened
Might I suggest:

Milwaukee's M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless TRUEVIEW LED Flood Light
Maximum Versatility The New TRUEVIEW M18 LED HP Flood Light is designed to give professionals a portable area lighting solution that replaces 500-Watt Halogen Flood Lights and adapts, performs and survives industrial use. The 2360-20 is the industry's brightest 18-Volt LED flood light and it is up to 20% brighter than 500-Watt Halogen Flood Lights. It produces 3,000 Lumens of high definition light output for in its high mode, 1,500 Lumens in medium and 650 Lumens in low with an M18 REDLITHIUM XC 5.0 Battery Pack. In addition to running off of M18 REDLITHIUM battery packs, it can run off of an AC cord for all day applications. It uses high quality LEDs with a neutral white color and a high color rendering index paired with a Milwaukee designed reflector to produce an even beam pattern. Its head rotates 240° to direct light where it is needed and there are 3 keyholes in its base for hanging in multiple orientations. Its compact footprint and integrated carry handles allow for easy transport or storage in bags, on carts or in job boxes. This light stands up to the toughest working conditions, through its durable roll cage design and impact-resistant lens and bezel. It offers significant advantages over halogen work lights with superior impact durability and temperature management and its LED never need to be replaced and are backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
•20% brighter than 500-Watt halogen flood light
•3-light output modes for optimal brightness and runtime
•High mode: 3,000 Lumens for up to 2 hours with M18 XC 5.0 pack
•Medium mode: 1,500 Lumens for up to 4 hours with M18 XC 5.0 pack
•Low mode: 650 Lumens for up to 8 hours with M18 XC 5.0 pack
•High definition output with true color, even beam and natural light
•Low battery indicator alerts users when the battery is nearing end of charge
•Dual power source: M18 or corded
•Light head rotates 240° with positive stops
•(3) integrated keyholes for hanging horizontally or vertically
•Durable roll cage protects light head
•Limited lifetime LED warranty
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...ss-TRUEVIEW-LED-Flood-Light-2360-20/206463133

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dayummm!

I am going to try to find one of these Tonight myself I think.
I am already into the Milwaukee system and have batteries too,this is the first utility light that I have seen that claims to even be aware that there are different tints on earth!

Way too much money though for the O.P I bet.

Might I suggest:

Milwaukee's M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless TRUEVIEW LED Flood Light
Maximum Versatility The New TRUEVIEW M18 LED HP Flood Light is designed to give professionals a portable area lighting solution that replaces 500-Watt Halogen Flood Lights and adapts, performs and survives industrial use. The 2360-20 is the industry's brightest 18-Volt LED flood light and it is up to 20% brighter than 500-Watt Halogen Flood Lights. It produces 3,000 Lumens of high definition light output for in its high mode, 1,500 Lumens in medium and 650 Lumens in low with an M18 REDLITHIUM XC 5.0 Battery Pack. In addition to running off of M18 REDLITHIUM battery packs, it can run off of an AC cord for all day applications. It uses high quality LEDs with a neutral white color and a high color rendering index paired with a Milwaukee designed reflector to produce an even beam pattern. Its head rotates 240° to direct light where it is needed and there are 3 keyholes in its base for hanging in multiple orientations. Its compact footprint and integrated carry handles allow for easy transport or storage in bags, on carts or in job boxes. This light stands up to the toughest working conditions, through its durable roll cage design and impact-resistant lens and bezel. It offers significant advantages over halogen work lights with superior impact durability and temperature management and its LED never need to be replaced and are backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
•20% brighter than 500-Watt halogen flood light
•3-light output modes for optimal brightness and runtime
•High mode: 3,000 Lumens for up to 2 hours with M18 XC 5.0 pack
•Medium mode: 1,500 Lumens for up to 4 hours with M18 XC 5.0 pack
•Low mode: 650 Lumens for up to 8 hours with M18 XC 5.0 pack
•High definition output with true color, even beam and natural light
•Low battery indicator alerts users when the battery is nearing end of charge
•Dual power source: M18 or corded
•Light head rotates 240° with positive stops
•(3) integrated keyholes for hanging horizontally or vertically
•Durable roll cage protects light head
•Limited lifetime LED warranty
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...ss-TRUEVIEW-LED-Flood-Light-2360-20/206463133

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey that looks neat, point it up at your white tent ceiling and you'll be in good shape.
One thing though, it's made to run underwater, so you're going to need some good heat sinking to run it in air... or maybe wire it into the bottom of a five gallon bucket, point up, apply silicon caulk, fill with water...
When the water gets warm, scoop some out and add some ice.

http://boatpluglight.com/products/the-diablo

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
So this morning I am at Northern Tool and I see a pair of LED lights for $50 that claim to be around 1000 lumens at about 1amp draw.
They are very bright and once for the price!
With these I think you can easily combine with some huge battery and get your needs met ?
I will guess that with a car jumper pack with an 18ah battery as many have you can probably get the 8 hours that you need out of these?

I do not have a model number or any other info so dip not ask but go see if you can find some,they are great from what I can tell so far!
Eneloops for size reference.

4c26ad5936f958efbb3b9ae0c2188c89.jpg
38caccc0f19d2ae534f51b642ec4b29b.jpg
8ab4deece65ad6059359f3673ee96116.jpg
32ee62cd5f647b339085f0d2cac2ebbf.jpg

Last edited: