Recommend a Newbie a Flashlight

coolcrow

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I'm sorta new to the flashlight world. I've had an Inova X5 for a while now, and I think it's time I upgrade. I just recently came into about $75, and I'd like to buy myself a new LED Flashlight. Here are my requirements:

1. Preferably less than $75 with shipping, but I could go slightly over.
2. It should be small (less than around 6 inches), but big enough so I won't lose it in my hands.
3. It has to be the brightest possible. I'm looking for something with a lot of lumens.
4. I'd like something with a black anodized finish. It won't see a lot of harsh duty, but I won't it to hold up fairly well.
5. Waterproof. Dunkable at least.
6. Should have a flat end so it will stand up on a flat surface with the bulb facing up.
7. Battery type doesn't matter.

So far, I really like the Fenix P3D model. I'm open to any suggestions though. I'm also having a hard time deciphering between the different Fenix P3D models. If someone could help me sort that out and recommend which one is best, I would greatly appreciate it. If I left out any information or posted anything wrong, please tell me and I'll fix my mistake. Thanks for all the help guys.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say Nitecore Defender Infinity. It's got everything except the tailstanding ability...
The P3D makes a bit more light, but you'd darn well want it to as it uses two CR123 cells.

coolcrow

Newly Enlightened
I'd say Nitecore Defender Infinity. It's got everything except the tailstanding ability...
The P3D makes a bit more light, but you'd darn well want it to as it uses two CR123 cells.

I just looked at the Nitecore Defender Infinity. It looks like a very rugged light, but for some reason it doesn't look very appealing to me. The tailstanding is kind of a big deal for me. I don't really mind using the CR123 cells. Thanks for the help though.

coolcrow

Newly Enlightened
I just looked at the Olight T20. Does anyone have any thoughts on this particular flashlight? Or the T20 vs the P3D?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The T20 throws further and works differently then the P3D. It would also feel more durable(and surprisingly, it is also cheaper then the P3D-CE Q5). 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

I'd also suggest getting rechargeable batteries if you will be using the light often.

:welcome:

nbp

Flashaholic
I think that the P3D would fit what you described very well. I love mine. Go for the Q5, the premium emitter over the CE. I have no complaints. :poke:

Lightguy27

Enlightened

coolcrow

Newly Enlightened
After much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Fenix P3D-RB100 Rebel from the Fenix-Store. I found that I liked the smooth beam of the Rebel, and I also liked the body style better than the Q5. I'm going to be using the light for a variety of things so I figured it would be a better choice than the Olight T20 with the tighter spot. Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread.

Marduke

Flashaholic
After much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Fenix P3D-RB100 Rebel from the Fenix-Store. I found that I liked the smooth beam of the Rebel, and I also liked the body style better than the Q5.

Umm.... they use the same exact body :thinking:

coolcrow

Newly Enlightened
Umm.... they use the same exact body :thinking:

Body may have been the incorrect word for me to use there. I was referring to pattern behind the bulb area. The Rebel has rings around the body while the Q5 has many lines cut around the body. I'm looking at the pictures from the Fenix-Store. Are those pictures correct?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Body may have been the incorrect word for me to use there. I was referring to pattern behind the bulb area. The Rebel has rings around the body while the Q5 has many lines cut around the body. I'm looking at the pictures from the Fenix-Store. Are those pictures correct?

Those slight body differences change frequently. It depends on when the picture was taken, and when your particular body was made. The "many lines" look is now the current, replacing the "rings" you're talking about. However, you could likely get the older style in inventory.

coolcrow

Newly Enlightened
I suppose the markings on the body really don't matter too much to me. I'm more concerned with the light quality. I'll be happy with whatever type I get.:D