Recommend AA or AAA for daughters trip?

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
I am looking urgently for a flashlight for my daughters upcoming Costa Rica trip. I don't want to give her any of my lights because they are either expensive or rechargeable batts

I'm looking for something around these specs. Can anyone recommend a light based on experience?

- LED light under $30
- Single AA or dual AAA primaries.
- palm sized approx
- at least a dim and a bright mode.
- preferably a moonlight mode too.
- ideally a tail cap clicky with lockout
- rain proof
- must have by Wednesday. (i.e. No China shipping)

Any suggestions?

Only as reference, My favorite light is a Nitecore MH20. But it's not even close to meeting the req'd specs.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD09 2015 edition is a nice light. 3 lumen low and 130 or so on high. Solid build and everything controlled through tail clicky. Just over 30 dollars

Vothelo

Newly Enlightened
Well, since the EA11 is outside the price range I'd probably go the AAA route. Something like the UltraTac K18 or Lumintop Tool with a 10440 battery.
These are just a couple, there's obviously a whole wealth of options currently using AAA/14500 batteries. I also recommend the Eagletac D25AAA which is actually made to handle the extra voltage of the 14500.

ven

Flashaholic
I like the thrunite T10 range, simple 3 mode UI with a sub lumen mode............come in alloy, stainless and ti flavours.

phosphor22

Enlightened
Perhaps Olight I3S would work for what you describe, although not a clicky - if needed fast this light may be a good option if the clicky is not a critical requirement

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with an AA or 2-AA light. Worse comes to worse, get her a small mini mag light. Take a set of extra batteries.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I'd say a Streamlight Protac AA. They're tough, mine have done several long fieldwork trips.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $30 budget, and must have by Wednesday was why I didn't suggest anything more extravagant than box store light.

LGT

Enlightened
How bright does it have to go. I would suggest a thrunite Ti3 mini AAA. .04 lumen firefly, but only a 120 lumen max. It's also a twisty.
Short notice for such a request, but good luck in your search.
Forgot to mention, saw them on amazon for $20.

Last edited:

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
The $30 budget, and must have by Wednesday was why I didn't suggest anything more extravagant than box store light.

The 2xAAA Protac is $27 on Amazon. If you're not a Prime member you can sign up for a free trial and have it in 48 hours. Just saying.

If you have to buy local, try a Fenix E12 if you have an REI nearby. Great light for $27.

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm actually considering the Fenix E12. Good?

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Great.

I love mine. Mine is a little off-center and so somewhat ringy, but the UI and switch are excellent. I think it's the best 1xAA I've ever bought that's not a Zebralight. A solid choice.

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. Got the Fenix E12 and it's perfect! Very nice quality light, brighter than I expected at a much smaller size than I had imagined. Very nice beam too.

I also found this nifty flashlight/lantern convertible light for $20. Will let you know what I think.
4a1ee5447077d1e2d6c492525a711d97.jpg

4c20170d97c9ea93a244c825e07a53e7.jpg

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I to think you made a great choice for your daughter, pack of spare batteries in her bag and good to go.