Recommend me a flashlight for mounting on bike helmet for night mountain biking

superedge88

Newly Enlightened
] am a cyclist. I can't imagine the need for this amount of lighting. You would have to be a 24 hour pro or live close to and above the arctic circle. 7 h with 400 lumens? Nah. Just adjust your eyes.
You can't imagine biking with 400 lumens of light at night? I suppose that all your flashlights are under 400 lumens right?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ve got 2 headlights 1 at 1200 lumens and 1 that's variable up to 2000 then 2600 when it senses you need the extra 🍿

superedge88

Newly Enlightened
I ve got 2 headlights 1 at 1200 lumens and 1 that's variable up to 2000 then 2600 when it senses you need the extra 🍿

Sounds like a well lit night ride! I find it ridiculous that someone on this forum would come on here and say that 400 lumens is not necessary for a helmet mountain bike light. The more light the safer you are in seeing obstacles.

NPL

Enlightened
Whatever light you chose, I would recommend a constant current driver so the light will be regulated and consistent from the beginning of your ride right to the end. I think this may eliminate a large selection of the lower cost lights. Pretty sure Manker offers lights that are very well regulated, have built in USB charging with Neutral white emitters. I would go for a larger die LED for a more useful floody beam. Xhp50 xhp70 or mtg2.

superedge88

Newly Enlightened
Whatever light you chose, I would recommend a constant current driver so the light will be regulated and consistent from the beginning of your ride right to the end. I think this may eliminate a large selection of the lower cost lights. Pretty sure Manker offers lights that are very well regulated, have built in USB charging with Neutral white emitters. I would go for a larger die LED for a more useful floody beam. Xhp50 xhp70 or mtg2.
Thanks for the recommendations, everything you said makes sense. No use starting off a ride with adequate lighting and end the ride with poor lighting.

turbodog

Flashaholic
First, I know this is reviving an old thread, but I saw a link to it in a current thread.

Second, I think that any bike light should step down as the battery dies... otherwise you could be left in instant-dark with no warning.

This is coming from a decade of 24 hour mtn bike racing.

Latest posts