recommend me an equal to an armytek predator 2.5 for throw and efficiency?

mickb

Enlightened
Sorry I'll clarfiy my context for efficiency(not the scientific definition) being how far it can reach for how long. As to how they are distributed , the same as the armytek predator 2.5 as in the OP. I can't remember the precise figures- but 5degree hotspot and 40degree spill with a 35000CD beam at 670 lumens ? Its punchy but still illuminates a decent sized backyard at medium ranges. I don't need to improve on this per se, I just need to find a way to replicate it now the 2.5's are gone. A compact size is another benefit, but prepared to go a bit larger if need be...

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Needing 40% more lumens out of the battery to reach that CD is what I meant by malkoff being step back from a predator in efficiency , not its quality or power. Malkoff's orange peels kill the deal for me.

As to the C8 size it might be the way to go. Head is big for pockets though. The predator to me fits in the same pouches and spaces the p60 lights do. I might do some measurements..

I just tried to fit one of my C8s, in an Olight holster that came with my M20-X (but fits all of my other P60 lights, and many of my single 18650 lights, beautifully), and it was a no go. The head is too wide.

My feeling is that a C8 is pretty uncomfortable to carry in a pocket, unless it's a large cargo pocket.

The head width on the Predator v 2.5 is 1.56 inches (39.624 millimeters)
The head width on the C8 is 1.752 inches (44.5 millimeters)

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Thanks David that's no worse than the predator most likely. I might jump in.

You're most welcome. We'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the lights, as they compare to each other, for your uses, after you've had a chance to put them both through their paces.

mickb

Enlightened
The head width on the Predator v 2.5 is 1.56 inches (39.624 millimeters)
The head width on the C8 is 1.752 inches (44.5 millimeters)

Thanks for that exact measurement! Its not the most compact light no but I am thinking I can can get by with it. Just realised originally talking to randy, which may have been a year ago, it was one of the 26650 bodies I was looking at, so the c8 looks better now.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Needing 40% more lumens out of the battery to reach that CD is what I meant by malkoff being step back from a predator in efficiency , not its quality or power. Malkoff's orange peels kill the deal for me.

I take your point. I see that the Malkoff is not the device you're looking for. To be clear, though, an orange peel reflector does not create an inefficiency, but a wider, smoother beam. Many people find that arrangement preferable.

mickb

Enlightened
yes apologies for the confusion I was using general terminology not the normal conventions for efficiency.

Wondered if I could break down some options on emitters. The XMLS2 in other lights and the Xp-g2 in the predator are the only two I have experience with, and I wondered where the XPL-Hi is going to sit. I seem to have it in my head the XP-g2 is more long range compatible emitter? Is the XPL-Hi what I should use in the C8 for the same effect. Or does none of what I said make any sense lol

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have a Predator 2.5 Warm. The XP-G2 in that reflector gives it good throw but it seems like my V3 Viking Warm is brighter using the same battery. Guessing XP-L beats the XP-G2 but still..... good throw on that older Predator.

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks, I am getting well out of my depth on this end of the subject I think but need to answer some spec questions. Randy suggested 1.9A(675lumens) or 2.25A(800 lumens) with an XML2 and OP reflector as being enough to get me to 35k CD with the C8 big reflector.

So I am wondering basically what it means if I instead go for
1. XP-L
2. XPL-HI

Id like a lot of throw for the lumens but worried what the XPL-HI becomes a pencil or would it still be like the 5 deg hotspot and 40degree spill of the predator?

Also is there an advantage to a step down feature to increase run time?

ven

Flashaholic
Xpl HI is a flat dome, the throw is greater and similar in performance to a de-domed emitter without tint shift(potential to go towards green). The xml2 is not as far reaching as the xpl HI, and the latter is a newer die.
Post #2 c8 with xpl HI which I recommended back then, pick UI,get randy to build it/potted. Job done.....

Subjective , but look at the 5000k xpl HI for a more neutral(still cool side)beam which colours will look better(not faded or washed out). If you like it a little warmer , the 4000k xpl HI is stunning! Again subjective as we see things and prefer things different.

ven

Flashaholic
Too add the HI is not a pencil beam, still plenty bright in the spill . The hot spot is a little more focused and the colour temp/tint I find consistent .
Xp-g2 is a small die than all mentioned, but without being de-domed the throw is not as good as the HI. De-dome changes things ......but will not be as bright in the spill as the HI if makes sense. Maybe 800lm V potentially 1200-1400lm of the HI(rough example).

Tight hot spot and limited spill(more pencil beam like) the de-dome xp-g2 is the one. For your application I still think the HI would suit your requirements nicely .......in 5000k flavour.

ven

Flashaholic
Regarding step down run time , yes if steps down then you will increase run time as your using less energy. The c8 should handle 600lm with ease and for decent durations for example. For arguments sake, it's 1000lm in high . With the driver you could have it running at 70% which would be 700lm ish without step down. 70% or 100% to the eye is very close, so for longer durations (you might need 2hrs use over 1.5hrs), the 70% would work perfect for that application(example). More than likely 50% would be adequate ,as this would be similar to the predators high mode.

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks Ven, I should have paid more attention to your first post, now I understand why! Much appreciated I am going to go for 700 or so in the XPL-Hi smooth reflector. So it didn't end up what I was originally after, but I learnt quite a bit and am ending up with higher quality and a bit more punch. Thanks again the other folks who helped on the thread , David, Modernflame and the Mods etc.

ven

Flashaholic
Depending on UI it does not need to matter much regarding max lumens(be it 700,1000 or even 1200). As the driver has several mode groups, be it single or multi mode,with or without memory etc. But if you don't need more than 700 ish I guess it makes it easier for a single level high option.

Will you be mainly using high? Or possibly other levels?

mickb

Enlightened
Mostly high yes, I'll set the two power option, 100% and 15%. As you say in this case makes it simple to have high where you want it.

mickb

Enlightened
I pulled the trigger on 2.28A level which is about 660lumens and 44000 CD according to Randy. So its quite underspecced compared to his high powered units and even the original c8's. I'd love the max power units but until 18650 technology catches up with the recent doubling in lumen power the last few years( if it ever will?) I have to stay practical for the use in mind. Thanks for everyones assistance on this. Now one question which may attract derision is whether there is any custom adaptor I could throw in a flashlight like this to run lowest power settings with a eneloop in an emergency? I seem to remember someone did this with some malkoff so I am hopeful my question is only strange, not completely retarded.