Recommendations on a replacement for a Spyderco Endura?

MemphisMagD

Newly Enlightened
I continue to carry my old Endura for 2 main reasons. 1: I like the tip up carry, it is much faster and smoother for me than tip down. 2: I love the plastic clip, the few times I carry metal clipped knives I've had the bad luck of taking gouges out of my steering wheel while entering/exiting and I scratched plenty of wooden door frames.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a new version of the Stretch out this week. It's got a blue FRN handle with black clip and a full flat ground ZDP-189 blade.

Upcoming later this year are full flat ground Endura 4's with FRN handles.

Just a comment on the Endura G10. I saw one the other day and it's got a real smooth, solid lock up. Bit heavy at 4.5 oz compared to the old 3 oz Enduras. Don't like the newer tip. Wish the G10 was black. It's a quality knife and still retains enough of the original Endura style. Plus people can customize them replacing the G10 with different scales, or even swapping in a ZDP-189 Endura blade. That gets expensive though.

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
Just a comment on the Endura G10. I saw one the other day and it's got a real smooth, solid lock up. Bit heavy at 4.5 oz compared to the old 3 oz Enduras. Don't like the newer tip. Wish the G10 was black. It's a quality knife and still retains enough of the original Endura style. Plus people can customize them replacing the G10 with different scales, or even swapping in a ZDP-189 Endura blade. That gets expensive though.

I had not realized that the G10 was swappable. Also, how easy are the new Enduras to open up and swap out blades? My old Endura looks like it's pinned together and I have no idea how one would go about opening it up. Hmmm, just when I had decided to get the Paramilitary...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Spyderco Manix2 is very good and available for about $70. Made in the US, G-10 scales, 154CM blade and a caged ball lock (try it you might love it)

Sage I is carbon fiber and liner lock. I'd take it over any Endura (still have Enduras, but they aren't used:cool:)

A Military is very nice, looks a bit aggressive though:naughty:

I have a Stretch II and it is wonderful, but I prefer liner and framelocks over backlocks..

The Rock lobster designed by Jens Anso is also nice, but you might want to try it out.

All of the above are Spydies since I'm allergic to thumb studs:thumbsup:

Sverre

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
I love my Spyderco Pacific Salt! 3 7/8" blade, nice and light, comfortable to hold and use, and the H1 steel will never rust! I maintain mine the same way you maintain yours, which is to say barely at all, and it's still close to perfect!:twothumbs

carrot

Flashaholic
I have the Spyderco Stretch FRN and I love it! It is very comfortable to use and an agile slicer.

However, I would choose an Endura over it if you do a lot of cutting with the tip, as the tip is not "centered" compared to the Endura -- on the Endura there is basically a straight line from your hand to the tip of the knife, whereas the Stretch's tip is higher and harder to put force into.

If you really do want to go liner lock, I suggest the Military, as it is a fantastic knife and well worth the money.

brucec

Enlightened
Thanks again for all of your comments! I decided to go with the Stretch carbon fiber. I've never owned a carbon fiber knife before and the Stretch just has a cool looking weave/texture to it. I suppose the blade is not as strong as one of the militaries, but I somehow ended up buying an XM-18 too. :shrug: Anyway, I'll post an update on the Stretch in a few weeks. For now it's just a waiting game until it gets here. :candle:

brucec

Enlightened
Well, I've had the stretch for a few weeks now and it's a great knife! The CF handles have an awesome texture, kind of like sandpaper or a nail file but not as abrasive. The opening action is very smooth compared to my old Endura and locks up nice and tight with no wobble in any direction. I also like that the back of the blade matches up with the handle when closed, instead of having a sharp edge like on the Endura. I like how they maximized the working edge to handle length ratio. So many of Spydercos have finger grooves right up on the blade! It seems to me that that is not only a waste of blade length, but also potentially dangerous in use. The stretch has some kind of finger groove, but it's pretty minimal. This is a great knife for opening and tearing down cardboard boxes. All of the reviews made it seem like the blade is too thin, but I think this is going to be fine for my main hiking and camping knife.

On the downsides, the stretch is a bit on the heavy side and the blade is ever so slightly off center. I am also not sure what will happen to the CF when I eventually drop it on some rocks. And due to all of the curves, it's about as attractive as a...pelican?

Overall, however, I am rather pleased with the stretch. I think it's a great buddy to the small sebenza.