Reflective surface behind Lens optics on 3/4up

marcopolo

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried putting a reflective surface between the MCPCB and the lens optics of a cutter MR11 UIB2 kit (3up or 4up) ? Or maybe some reflective surface on the inner wall of an aluminium tube? Something like reflective card or tin foil backed with paper with appropraite cut outs for LED and optic mount points.

It may improve the efficiency of the light ever so slightly as more light will be thrown out the front as opposed to being absorbed by the sidewall of the aluminium and the front of the MCPCB.

May not make much perceptible difference but every little helps!!

Marco.

trout

Enlightened
Not worth the effort ther is not alot of light escaping from the TIR optics to the inside of the light and any you managed to reflect back would not make any noticeable difference.

You would be better painting the inside with glow in the dark paint for a cool look when switched off .

marcopolo

Newly Enlightened
What about filling the void between the MCPCB and the optic with oil? This would give excellent additional cooling. The hole through the slug would need to be well sealed and also the slug to case would have to be a good fit and the front of the optic (which is usually on an o'ring anyway).

This could help maintain light levels marginally higher due to lower LED package temps.

I'm not joking by the way; i'm seriously considering trying these things!!! I think you are right about my rear reflector idea but it wouldn't do any harm to photoshop the beamshots for light levels both with and without rear reflector.

Marco.

bbgobie

Newly Enlightened
I heard these types of optics are based on the refractive index of the material and air. Change air to something else and it may not refract properly.

The mineral oil would thus be better suited behind the slug on the other side of the light as its just a heatsink at that point, and would do little to reduce your max stable temp. It would just take a little longer to get there.

Eamon

Newly Enlightened
White paint.
I set the optic ~12mm into the housing, so as not to blind me when climbing. I painted that inset with ordinary white model enamel, and got much more spill than before. The white reflects back quite a bit more than the raw Ti did, and a lot of it goes to the road.
I'm going to paint the inside of the housing behind the optic, and the top of the PCB and see what it does.
No particular interest in phosphorescent paint.

Eamon

hootsmon

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried putting a reflective surface between the MCPCB and the lens optics of a cutter MR11 UIB2 kit (3up or 4up) ? Or maybe some reflective surface on the inner wall of an aluminium tube? Something like reflective card or tin foil backed with paper with appropraite cut outs for LED and optic mount points.

Here's 2 ideas, for DIY reflector materials:

• Cannibalized Hard-disk platter (ie aluminium with a polished mirror finish)
  • Recycled CD-ROM disc
BTW, I'm currently dabbling with the HDD platter, to boost tallight output.