Removing hard anodizing?

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Hey guys, had anyone removed the hard black anodizing using chemicals? I know easy off oven cleaner removed the Mag lite ano but I'm not sure about this hard ano? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.:)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think any decent liquid drain cleaner will remove the anodizing, but it leaves a dull silver finish. Also don't let it soak too long.
Hey guys, had anyone removed the hard black anodizing using chemicals? I know easy off oven cleaner removed the Mag lite ano but I'm not sure about this hard ano? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.:)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything that will remove Maglite ano will also remove hard ano.

When aluminum is exposed to air it forms a very thin layer of aluminum oxide. With anodizing, an electrical current is run through the aluminum while it is immersed in acid. This produces a thicker layer of aluminum oxide than forms from exposure to air. After the oxide layer is formed, More chemicals are added to drill holes in it chemically (think swiss chese). Dye is then added to those holes for color and a sealant is then put on top.

HA III hard anodizing is essentially the same process except that the chemicals are refrigerated during immersion (the chemicals themselves may also be slightly different). However, the net effect is the same: a layer of aluminum oxide forms on the surface. From the user perspective the only difference between regular ano and hard ano is with hard ano the oxide layer is even thicker.

Since all anodizing is composed of aluminum oxide, anything that removes one type of anodizing will remove all types of anodizing. You just may need to keep whatever you're working on immersed longer since the oxide layer in hard ano is thicker.

I use Greased Lightning from the local hardware store. But pretty much any base will work (drain cleaner, oven cleaner, etc.).

Last edited: