How hard, MT-G2 in Olight M20

hippy

Newly Enlightened
I've never modified an LED light before.

I have an Olight M20 Warrior with the XP-G R5 LED. By today's standards it is rather weak. would the dirver circuit be capable of driving a Cree MT-G2?

I like the form factor of the M20 and I like the idea of the larger spot and warmer output of the MT-G2. I'm particularly interested in a MT-G2 in the 3500-4000K CCT and the higher CRI the better in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Rich

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short answer is NO. The XP-G typically has a Vf on the order of 2.9 Volts. MT-G2's come in three flavors, 6V, 9V and 12V. There is no way a 3 volt driver is going to run a 6 V MT-G2, so if you want to use an MT-G2, you are going to have to replace the driver. This leads the next issue. The MT-G2 can be driven hard, you are probably going to be limited to something on the order of 1500lumens from the MT-G2 simply because of what the battery can deliver, but that also raises the required heat dissipation from a few watts to about 15 watts for the LED. That means you will need a much better thermal path, and a much better heat sink that were needed for the XP-G. It also means your flashlight is likely to get very warm, very quickly. In simple terms, what you want to do is anything BUT simple.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A better alternative would be a XPL emitter. It has the same footprint, slightly larger die (floodier beam) and same working voltage.
The beam wouldn't be as floody as the MTG2 though

hippy

Newly Enlightened
Matheww50 and DellSuperman, thank you. Saved me a bit of research. I'll look into the XM-L, looks like it would be flooder with the 5x5mm die size compared to the XPG 3.45x3.45 and it's offered in high cri bins as well as having a better output of 1040lm versus the XPGs 493lm peak. i was just hoping to do a "super flood" as I'm in that phase of my flashaholic-ism.

Shame I can't find one of the Olight drop in XML module, wonder if there are any XMLAWT-00-0000-000HT40E5 available anymore.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Along these lines, I am planning to replace the XML emitter in my Olight M22 Warrior. I like the driver and hope that putting an XPL V6 in it will give it a little more throw and still a nice spill for all around use. The XML in it now is mounted on about a 22mm copper screwed to the heat sink. I hope I can make a 20mm XLP from Mt Electronics fit with the screw holes now in place.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matheww50 and DellSuperman, thank you. Saved me a bit of research. I'll look into the XM-L, looks like it would be flooder with the 5x5mm die size compared to the XPG 3.45x3.45 and it's offered in high cri bins as well as having a better output of 1040lm versus the XPGs 493lm peak. i was just hoping to do a "super flood" as I'm in that phase of my flashaholic-ism.

Shame I can't find one of the Olight drop in XML module, wonder if there are any XMLAWT-00-0000-000HT40E5 available anymore.
Like i mention, u should consider the XPL emitter. It has the same die as the XML but with the same footprint size of XP-G emitter.

Plus i am not sure the reflector of your light can fit the XM-L

hippy

Newly Enlightened
Like i mention, u should consider the XPL emitter. It has the same die as the XML but with the same footprint size of XP-G emitter.

Plus i am not sure the reflector of your light can fit the XM-L

I ordered an XP-L Neutral White, going to be a couple weeks to come in.

In the mean time also ordered some XM-L2s to play with, T6 4C and T6 5C1. Those should arrive in a week.
At least it give me some stuff to play with.

So I can see it side by side myself and might help someone else, cree's calculated numbers @ 1500ma 85C:
Origianl XPG R5 380lm (1500 ma 25C)
Cree XPL V3 568lm
Cree XML2 T6 541lm