repair for stuck Surefire 6P tailcap?

busseguy

Enlightened
Another possibility is thread corrosion / contamination / anodize "overspray" (had the latter once on an E1B tailcap)

Have you thoroughly cleaned the threads, on both the tailcap and body tube ?

no I haven't tried cleaning the contacts but like I said it has ZERO movement. Think of pushing your thumb on a brick. Same thing. LoL.

And as mentioned above I have tried multiple times with very slight loosenings with no change.

I do appreciate your help very much. I hope you don't think otherwise.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are missing the spring on the switch.
I'll try and find a picture of a good one.
P

Here you go, it looks like this. It's so easy to replace the spring and easier still to replace the guts, I wouldn't bother with a Return. I'm sure someone over there has the bits. I can send you them, if you're desperate.........

z41.jpg

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened
You are missing the spring on the switch.
I'll try and find a picture of a good one.
P

Wow, I guess that shows you how much I know about Surefires. LoL. I just assumed it only had the one spring. Now I will go hang my head in shame for my stupidity.

thank you all for the help. I really do appreciate it very much.

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
No shame, there is always something to learn about the different flashlights on the market. We all learn something when someone has a question or comes across an issue - it makes us think and gets the creative juices flowing.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
How is the spring missing ? I clearly see it in the correct location, in the fourth pic.

To me, it sounds like the internal black lockout component of the Z41 might be defective or installed incorrectly, inhibiting motion of the retained components.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, don't fret. we're all here to learn.
I only know stuff about a few things.
If you want it to be a clicky, you can buy the conversion kit.
Oveready may still have them, and there's a few others that can supply.
Otherwise, I or someone else will send you new guts.
Good luck.
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the spring missing ? I clearly see it in the correct location, in the fourth pic.

To me, it sounds like the internal black lockout component of the Z41 might be defective or installed incorrectly, inhibiting motion of the retained components.
You are so right, I didn't see that before I blew it up.
Do you think the spring in his looks like it's broken? It certainly doesn't look like the one in my pic.

j5lLfCy.jpg

z41.jpg

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
It looks really compressed. Any chance you can stretch it out a bit with some pliers and see if that helps?

It almost looks like someone altered it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
From that angle, tough to tell if it may be "squashed" ... tough to see it at all, for that matter, lol

Could try popping it out with a pliers, cautiously stretching it some, then reinstalling :thinking:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Push on the spring with one finger, and press the tailcap button with another finger to see if it moves.
Use the paper clip method to see if the light works by touching one end to the negative of the batteries, and the other end to the bare aluminum of the body.

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I believe the OP said it works if the cap is fully tightened, so it seems it has to be related to the spring being over compressed or too short (altered).

busseguy

Enlightened
Well I just pulled out the spring a little with absolutely no change. Really weird.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Ok, yours looks like the hex key type of Z41.

If you want to try to repair yourself, disassemble and clean all of the parts, then reassemble and test.

I would guess that something is dirty, jammed, loose, and/or misthreaded.

It is a rather low-tech mechanism, after all.

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened
Ok, yours looks like the hex key type of Z41.

If you want to try to repair yourself, disassemble and clean all of the parts, then reassemble and test.

I would guess that something is dirty, jammed, loose, and/or misthreaded.

It is a rather low-tech mechanism, after all.

It can't hurt and it would be cool to see how it all works. Is there a link how to take it apart?

archimedes

Flashaholic

busseguy

Enlightened