Replacement for Terralux Lightstar 80

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Had to dump a couple of Terralux Lightstar 80 and I'd like advice on a comparable replacement. The batteries were dead in both and I couldn't budge the caps. I contacted their CS dept and got a spiel about it being battery corrosion. I replied that it may be but how can you say it is when I can't get the cap off to see for sure. I had Mini Maglites in my vehicles for years and never had battery corrosion issues.

Anyway, they're trash and I'd like something a bit brighter, either AA or AAA. The wife uses it more than I, she's a rural mail carrier and the small, lightweight, push-button switch flashlights are very handy for her. As well, to be on the safe side, I'll use lithium batteries in the new unit. I found an I-Pure XP-2 for $10 that sounds just too good to be true...any recommendations?

My apologies if this should be in the budget flashlight forum, I just saw that now...

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
Coast G20? ~$11 on amazon.

But stop using Alkileak batteries. Buy 4 eneloop batteries and a Nitecore charger and you won'tr have to worry about leaky batteries again.

Lots of 2xAA or 2xAAA lights out there. The G20 is more of a narrow beam. So it all depend on if you want throw or flood.

They still do sell the Teralux 80s for cheap. Good flashlights.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Lightstar 80s and haven't had any problems, but then I use lithium primaries in them. I would say good replacements would be a Lumintop Tool (singe AAA) or IYP365 (double AAA) or the Nitecore MT06 or MT06MD. I prefer the MT06MD since it has a Nichia emitter for the high CRI. Both of the Lumintops are available with Nichia emitters as well. The Streamlight Microstream is another possibility, and the Stylus Pro if a two cell version is desired.

In AA lights, I have owned and liked the Streamlight Protac EMS, and the Nitecore EA11, which is my current EDC. The EA11 can use either a standard AA (lithium or NiMH, never alkaline) or a 14500 LiIon rechargeable, which delivers a much brighter beam.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
wjv and Timothybil, thanks guys. I'm going to look at those lights you suggested and I am definitely going to use lithium batteries for all my outdoor battery uses.

wjv, I have and use Eneloops but on things I constantly use, remotes, mouse/keyboard, spotlight, et cetera. Our flashlights rarely, if ever get used so I use mainly Energizer alkaline and now, of course, their Ultimate Lithium.

Yes, I do think you may be better served over there.

Just let me know, if you want this thread moved....
Yes and sorry 'bout that...Mama didn't raise no stupid kid, it just turned out that way :huh:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Country Trails SKU 21041015 at Rural King.com.

It's an adjustable focus (zoomie) 2AAA for $3.99 that I've be n carrying for the last month and like it.

High, low and strobe.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. My HVAC technician friend showed me his and I went straight to Rural King and bought one.

The package in the store doesn't have the SKU21041015 on it, but has the model # APL150 in the upper right hand corner.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had to dump a couple of Terralux Lightstar 80 and I'd like advice on a comparable replacement. The batteries were dead in both and I couldn't budge the caps......
I like the LS80. I purchased a bunch of them when on sale once and gifted most of them. My son has his a glove box light and he left alkaline batteries in it. I had to chastise him for it as he has Eneloops........so not sure why he left alkalines in. The problem with this one was the tail cap switch was corroded and would not work and I could not get it apart to clean it because some of the aluminum around the switch was in bad shape. So I called Terralux and asked if I could just purchase a tail cap and he said he'd just send me one. When the package came in the mail, it was an entire flashlight. Great customer service. You may not have as good of luck as I did with CS but the battery makers will usually give you some compensation. You'd need to get the tail cap off (strap wrench or pliers) to inspect and the batteries out to verify which brand. Since the light is toast, I guess it doesn't hurt to at least try a more vigorous method to get the tail cap off.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
The guy blew me off stating it was corrosion, which is interesting that he magically knew that without being able to open the unit...I want nothing to to with Terralux now.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight's Microstream seems like a very similar light at around the same price. A very good bigger/brighter Streamlight is the 1L-1AA which runs on either a single AA or CR123 cell without adapters or adjustment (in fact it will run on a AAA in a pinch)....very nice tint on the 1L-1AA and features Streamlights 10 tap system to customize the out put from high-strobe-low to either high only or low-high - great light for around $40.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another set of alkaline batteries corroded in an LS80 from one of the 10 lights that I gifted.

Last week I had a neighbor friend of mine ask me how to get the tail cap off of his LS80. Well, he used the alkaline batteries that came with it and one corroded near the tail cap............so it was kind of glued shut. I kindly chastised him for leaving alkaline batteries in his light. (I know he has an Eneloop charger kit that he bought from Costco). I see no problem using alkalines in clocks, remotes etc. Or even this flashlight if you check on them often. Inside a spacey plastic battery housing is no problem if acid leaks, but inside these narrow aluminum battery tubes it presents lots of problems. The tail cap was hard to twist but by gripping it hard I was able to get it off. The battery was not coming out so I had to take an xacto knife and carve around the perimeter of the battery until I could get the battery out.

Long story short. The tail cap switch had an internal resistance of 160 ohms preventing the light from turning on once new batteries were installed. Terralux (now Lightstar Products) customer service offered to sell me a tail cap which I took them up on. It was $3 plus $3.50 shipping so I just got an extra tail cap. This is my 2nd repair on an LS80. Not the LS80's fault but definitely an example of what alkaline batteries can do. I'm sure one of my other giftees is going to have this problem too (like my 85 year old dad who I haven't even bothered to get him into rechargeable s).

I contacted Duracell with a picture and they offered to send me $9.99 which I took them up on. I figured what the heck........pays for a couple of tail caps. Luckily the acid leaking has been at the tail cap and not at the front of the light. Makes me wonder if leaking acid happens more often at the negative side of the battery.

BhShLmO.jpg

EW3r1Mv.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good post.

True on those 'roomy' plastic numbers.

A battery pops where it pops but... I see more batteries popped at the negative end than the positive so there may be an unintended built in feature there.
Like you, I get handed lights to fix from others.

I switched to Rayovac alkalines a few years back and thusfar zero leaks.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
I'm switching to Eneloops slowly but surely. I am purchasing some AA to D adapters as well. Hopefully soon year I'll be 100% disposable free except for 9v applications.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pretty much use Eneloops for everything, including C and D cell lights. Lights kept in vehicles get Energizer utimate lithiums. Alkalines don't get used for much of anything except occasionally in D cell lights when I don't feel like messing with adapters otherwise I save whatever alkalines I have for power outages.

lwknight

Enlightened
I'm switching to Eneloops slowly but surely. I am purchasing some AA to D adapters as well. Hopefully soon year I'll be 100% disposable free except for 9v applications.
I very much suggest getting the 3AA to D adapters. I bought an 8pk on Amazon for $7.95+ some shipping. The D cells have about 11,000mah compared to 1AA having only 2,000 so the 3AA adapter will give you 6,000mah and a lot more current than any alkaleak D cell.
As for replacing the LS80, I have 2 and one developed a bad tail switch. If you want heavy duty, the 5.11 2AAA light is nice and about the same lumens. I found the Nitecore MT06 2XAAA to be slicker for a pocket and has 2 levels 35/130 or something like that

Last edited: